Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
FORD5

Default Focus towing a boat

5m fibre glass boat on a focus LR hatch auto they have a max of 80 ball weight and can tow a maximum of 900/1tonne well we towed it anyway as the dealer said it was okthe 2.0 accutally towed it good.

FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of interest is the LR an auto or manual?

I reckon my LS would spin it's clutch up the ramp with that rig which would be way over the max recommended tow mass.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Karnage
Finger Painter

Well I think its great that this is a thread to show that darwinism is alive and kicking, and not a rant about "why won't Ford warrant my gearbox" or "so my boat broke off my car and killed a family having a picnic in a park".
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
FORD5

Ahhh its auto, and we had no wheel spin it towed it great
Old 30-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
Well I think its great that this is a thread to show that darwinism is alive and kicking, and not a rant about "why won't Ford warrant my gearbox" or "so my boat broke off my car and killed a family having a picnic in a park".
Whilst I think that comment was a little harsh, afterall we all have done some stupid things out of ignorance. I do have to agree. Even if the car appears to be pulling the boat OK now, you can't see the strain that is being put onto the towball and gearbox until it is too late.

Eventrully something is going to give way and when that happens it will be at the worst possible moment. Please don't continue towing that boat with the Focus. Hire a falcon or something alot stronger.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
FORD5

oh no, we only towed it for about 1km cause our friends pajero blew a tire, we pulled it out of the water and towed it about 1km to the tyre power shop(very slowly) boat has about a tare weight of 1400kg not to much heavier then specified but never towing it again only a 6x4 box trailer
Old 30-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD5
oh no, we only towed it for about 1km cause our friends pajero blew a tire, we pulled it out of the water and towed it about 1km to the tyre power shop(very slowly) boat has about a tare weight of 1400kg not to much heavier then specified but never towing it again only a 6x4 box trailer
Whew, you had me worried there for a sec.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha thats awsome, dont mess with the Focus
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
FORD5

yer don't worry i love my focus to much then to rip the **** end out of it, and exactly dont mess with the focus
Old 30-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
warren77

If you had an accident (no matter how slow you were going) I am pretty sure you would've voided your insurance.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
FORD5

As i said it was only 1km but still you have a point and yes i would of.
Old 30-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

towing any distance with an auto especially above recommended tow wieght needs at least an extra transmission cooler or you will have premature trans failure. They even recommend the cooler for towing on the bigger falcon.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
FORD5

defiently but it was only up the road 900m or so slowly yes still to heavy but it was a one time thing
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
Dustproof

Default Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD5
defiently but it was only up the road 900m or so slowly yes still to heavy but it was a one time thing
Hi Ford5,

You will not do much if any damage in what you did, yes these days you must abide by the Max towed weights. If you tow ALL the time get a trans cooler, they do make a difference. The problem is that the heat will break down the trans oil quickly which will result in worn clutch packs, bands etc eventually failure.

I towed my race car all over the place with a 3L Skyline with no cooler, it was fine and never failed. When towing; slow is not always good as most new transmissions have a lock up torque converter which makes the car drive like a manual after it has got into top gear and is cruising, this removes a lot of heat as the converter is not generating heat.

Stay Safe
Dustproof :
Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
FORD5

Ahh thanks dusty, yer probs doing bout 50-60 over drive off but yer focus's seem to be strong

cheers