Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
lokets
Starter Motor

Default Fez engine - uses timing chain or timing belt?

Anyone knows if the Fez engine uses a timing chain or timing belt? Timing chain saves $$$ down the road and belt needs replacement - though this maybe 100k+ km later but it is time consuming and can be expensive.

I know for example, Jazz engine uses timing chain and hence no adjustment/replacement necessary - which is a good thing.

Is there any mention of this servicing/replacement of timing belt (if it is belt) in the owner's manual?

lokets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

It is a belt in Fiesta. Timing Chains are older technology in a 4 cylinder car (The Jazz is also SOHC), and create more noise. The tradeoff being they don't need replacement.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
Fez WQ

its get changed at 150000kms
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
lokets
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
It is a belt in Fiesta. Timing Chains are older technology in a 4 cylinder car (The Jazz is also SOHC), and create more noise. The tradeoff being they don't need replacement.
OK, Fez uses belt. But I thought chain is an improvement over belt - no adjustment and no replacement (or replacement at very, very high km). Noise - well, that's balanced against the other advantages and what's more, Fez itself under high rev is noisy anyway.

I've got a Jazz. Its a 1.3 iDSI (whatever they call it). It runs quietly but tends to be noisy under quick/hard acceleration. There is no mention of any timing chain (naturally) replacement/adjustment in the service manual, which I think is nice. And the bit about SOHC being less advanced than DOHC (if that's what you meant) is also not true in the case of Jazz as its engine design is incredibly advanced.

One final thing about Jazz (this thread is not about it) - its ride & handling is really so-so and bothers on the rotten-side, and for driving enjoyment (never mind the belt thing), Fez beats it pants-down.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
lokets
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hunter
its get changed at 150000kms
Thanks for that. Does the service manual say how much "effort" in terms of man-hours or whatever unit they use to do that work? What I mean is: usually for oil change, say it takes 0.5 hours, so what's it for this service (sounds like a big one) at 150K km?

BTW, is it true that Fez requires servicing only every 15K km, compared to mostly other Japanese carsof 10K km?
Old 17-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes. servicing is 15k
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokets
I've got a Jazz. Its a 1.3 iDSI (whatever they call it). It runs quietly but tends to be noisy under quick/hard acceleration. There is no mention of any timing chain (naturally) replacement/adjustment in the service manual, which I think is nice. And the bit about SOHC being less advanced than DOHC (if that's what you meant) is also not true in the case of Jazz as its engine design is incredibly advanced.
First of all, I'm not knocking the Jazz. its half a second quicker than the Fez so obviously its not a bad car.

In most general Cases SOHC IS Older tech than DOHC otherwise most modern cars would still be running on it, and er, they're not. It surprises me that a Honda of all cars has a SOHC engine.

Same is the Case with the timing chain. In a 4 cylinder it again is old tech and most 4 Cylinder cars dont use it. They are noisier than a belt even if the tradeoff is the change (which I already mentioned in my first post). In some big engines (one example being the 4.0 I6 in Falcon, and maybe Merc and BMW Im not sure on that though) the noise has been brought down to such acceptable levels that they can use one. But we're talking 4 bangers here.
Old 18-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True Belt is newer tech than chain... but most if not all manufacturers are going back to chain driven cams. This is partly to reduce servicing costs (changing a cam belt can cost a lot of money) and also because of problems with belts breaking when they dont get replaced, where a chain can last over double the time that a belt can.

All real Duratec I4's (ie not the ones that are a zetec engine rebranded Duratec) have chain driven cams. All BMW's now run chains aswell and with most motors you wouldnt notice the difference between a chain and a belt.

Oh 150k between belt change? damn.. Most cars have it between 80-100k....
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
BlackLS

Id rather a chain that may get a bit noisy in old age over having a belt snap on me and bending valves etc. Toyota Echo runs a chain as well.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
kenneth_lks
Fiestata!!

most of the Japanese small cars run a chain rather than belt cause of cost saving..
kenneth_lks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #11
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
All real Duratec I4's (ie not the ones that are a zetec engine rebranded Duratec) have chain driven cams.
You'll have to run that by me again mate, becasue I thought that the 1.6 duratec was developed and designed SOLELY for the Mk6 Fiesta, therefore always has been a "Duratec" and not a rebadged Zetec....
Old 19-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I think the Fiesta engine it was originally found in the U.K base model focus. They also have something like 10kw extra (give me that focus ecu now !)
Also our engine was used in the mk5 fiesta in u.k

Its not a NEW engine. Just Re badged and had a big phat airbox slapped ontop of it
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Duratec 4 in the Fiesta is basically a rebadged Zetec-SE 1.6 which is part of the Sigma engine family. (Designed with help from Yamaha, Alloy block, and produced in 1242cc, 1388cc, 1596cc and 1679cc capacities)
Normal Zetec's are part of the Zeta engine family, which are completely different to the Sigma Zetec's. (Iron Block and built in 1598cc, 1796cc and 1989cc capacities)

More info about Zetec branded engines here and Sigma engine family here
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post