Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
matt6n
Starter Motor

Default Might be getting an AU

Alright I'm nearly 18 and I've been driving an EA around for the past 2 years but my parents think I need a new car. They are saying something about safety and I shouldnt drive the EA by myself.
My dad reckons a VT Commodore would be good and he wants to spend about $10,000. I've been looking up carsales.com.au and noticed that you can get a pretty damn good AU for around 10grand.
Would you reccomend getting an AU? I've seen a few fairmonts on the site that all look very good but have fairly high KMs.
What should I look for if buying one? What would be a good amount of KMs for an AU to have and still have a lot of life left in it?

Any help appriciated.

I made this thread in the wrong section and I was told to look for a series 2 with dark interior and average KMs. What number is average KMs?

matt6n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

Hey mate..

AU is a pretty good car, well mainly the AU XR's, not the biggest fan of Forte's but they do have loads of potential and can be had very cheaply.
For 10k you can probably pick up an XR6 or a very nice AU like you said you've seen on carsales, ive seen some XR6's for 8k around.
and km depending on the year of the car about 100,000 - 150,000k's is where id be looking for.. and at those sorts of k's they are really only just getting run in lol. should go on for another 100-150k's problem free.

When looking at buying one, just look for the usual stuff, engine noises, diff whine, service history, any leaks, gearbox/slipping, suspension shock towers IF irs, cracked fire wall IF manual.. etc etc
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
I6corp
Was V6corp

Buy privately lol. I brought from a car dealership, and found i paid a little too much!

though i must say your going to get very biased opinions here.

GL with the buy, i know you'll make the right choice ;)
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
minheim

I have an AU series 1 classic (2000 model). Bought it new with Tickford gas. Been a great car and nicely decked out standard No intentions of getting rid of it indeed shudder to think what it would fetch now as a trade in. An AU Classic might be something to look at- nice alloys, dual airbags, rear deck spoiler, egg crate grill, charcoal black interior vinyl as opposed to Forte grey, cruise control and ABS brakes. Generally sold to private sellers I suspect too.

While an XR6 would be nice at your age insurance will be a killer. Fairmonts are nice also but generally a bit dearer.

An Au series 2 and 3 Futura would also be good buy but a low km car might be a bit pricer than an equivient series 1. Look for low kms, a good service history and no major past collusion damage and you should do well.

Good luck and I think you will find an AU a nicer car than a Commodore. The Commodores have pretty basic autos compared to the AU.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked up an 1999 AU Forte for $9000. With only 74,000kms on it. It was in great condition. Since then, Iv seen 99-00 Fortes in the paper with between 120,xxx-140xxxkms asking $7500.

Go for the AU.. if your area is anything like mine.. theres too many ' done up ' VTs getting around.. same wheels, same looks. Even if u pick up an apparently ugly AU1 forte.. drop it, with some nice wheels.. tint the windows.

And compared to the VT.. the AU still looks some what modern.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Go the AU, if you can get past the looks, it is a much less comprimesd car than the VT. The VT's look the goods, but archaic IRS, the Buick 3800, the crummy 4 speeder and its extra bulk take the shine of the purchase.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Kryton

go to the Auctions. we just picked up a 2000 VT2 with 85000km on the clock for $7850. passed a RWC with nothing needed. that was fixed price as well so it has 3 months warranty.
there was also a 2000 (or 01- cant remeber) AU Futura that was auctioned off, it had 165000km and was a very clean car. it SOLD for $3700 (sold...not passed in).
youd be suprised what you can do with 10k at the auctions...your only about $1500 short of a 2 year old BA XT with 40-50000km.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
camerooch

I have an AUII Futura Sedan, Black, Tickford CAI with Filter, Herrod Cats-Back Exhaust, 140,000 kms.
Has been a great car, I would highly recommend them.
What state are you based in ??
camerooch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
bazz
Melbourne Lad

I have an AU3 LPG. Only bought it because of factory LPG. Bought from Private sales for $10k.

I think buying at the Auction has it's risks, because you have very little time to spend with the car and you don't get a test drive. But Auctions are generally very cheap, so you can pick up absolute bargains. The best purchases are ex government/company cars because you know they're always serviced.

Take someone who knows abit about cars (or the specific car you like) to the auction for an inspection before you make a bid.
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
HLC
Audi S3

bought my AU2 Fairmont with 92 000 kays for around 10 - 11 grand at a Ford dealership. ;) there are bargains to be had.
Old 21-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Go the AU. Build quality will be way above the VT, and the rear end won't sag and chew out the tyres!

The engine is great, the gearbox eats and V series one for dinner and they are cheaper to buy.

I've read many a post here from ex holden guys who tried the AU and VT back to back. They own Fords now!

Go a Fairmont, you'll get lots of nice goodies in there. Look for one private sale from an old Grandpa, I've seen a few one owner ones around.

Happy hunting.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
While an XR6 would be nice at your age insurance will be a killer.
Definately right.

A Fairmont or Classic models with a few extra goodies will be way lower to insure and still have some nice comfort features.

Aim for a series 2 or better because you'll benefit with some of the better features (although there's nothing wrong with the series 1 I have....)

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah go for a series II if you can find one, Fairmont's are very classy and nice.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #14
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim
I have an AU series 1 classic (2000 model). Bought it new with Tickford gas. Been a great car and nicely decked out standard No intentions of getting rid of it indeed shudder to think what it would fetch now as a trade in. An AU Classic might be something to look at- nice alloys, dual airbags, rear deck spoiler, egg crate grill, charcoal black interior vinyl as opposed to Forte grey, cruise control and ABS brakes. Generally sold to private sellers I suspect too.

While an XR6 would be nice at your age insurance will be a killer. Fairmonts are nice also but generally a bit dearer.

An Au series 2 and 3 Futura would also be good buy but a low km car might be a bit pricer than an equivient series 1. Look for low kms, a good service history and no major past collusion damage and you should do well.

Good luck and I think you will find an AU a nicer car than a Commodore. The Commodores have pretty basic autos compared to the AU.

I've got a 2000 series 1 Classic with the egg crate grill, have had for close to 18 months now all I can say is WOW what a fantastic car.

The Classic's as everyone's said are good because they come with a few more goodies on.

Oh yes the blue oval bug will get into your system very quickly and you will wonder why didn't I get this car sooner... :voldar02:

Cheers

Chris
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Go the AU, if you can get past the looks, it is a much less comprimesd car than the VT. The VT's look the goods, but archaic IRS, the Buick 3800, the crummy 4 speeder and its extra bulk take the shine of the purchase.
VTs had the V6 Ecotec 3.8l not the V6 Buick 3.8l. But overall because of the extra bulk.. VTs are some what sluggish compared to the VS and even the VR.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #16
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

buy a 4.0L fairlane and ill swap you....

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #17
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Abit rare but if you can buy an AUII/III SR ot Forte manual in decent condition go for it. I cannot stress how much better and more fun an AU Falcon 4.0L is with a manual.
Ofcourse there are more manuals in the XR6 but as everyone says insurance could be an issue.
Old 22-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #18
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Go the AU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
AU is a pretty good car, well mainly the AU XR's, not the biggest fan of Forte's but they do have loads of potential and can be had very cheaply.
My forte has potential.....Look what i've done to it so far and im not even finished yet........

Here's the link to my forte when i first braught it....to what it looks like as it sits right now....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=53019

Buy the AU!!!!!!

Cheers

Simon :king:
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #19
I6corp
Was V6corp

*hint* its not the one in his avvy, ;) lol

I'd go the AU, and if you think about it ... the forte's just a blank slait, and you can make it how you want it
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Abit rare but if you can buy an AUII/III SR ot Forte manual in decent condition go for it. I cannot stress how much better and more fun an AU Falcon 4.0L is with a manual.
Ofcourse there are more manuals in the XR6 but as everyone says insurance could be an issue.
this might help - get some quotes on insurance on AU forte and XR models and the VT.. also see what you'll use it for in this day and age a more fuel economical car can go a long way even if its a holden.
im pretty sure the XR models should be about the same as the forte was for me just couldnt find a nice one i could afford.

and yes MANUAL is ALOT more fun and better than the Auto

FalconSR

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #21
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
A manual is all fun and games until you crack the firewall or pedal box (which is common in certain model manual falcons).

Performance wise with the right bits an auto will prob give you the same fun.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #22
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
A manual is all fun and games until you crack the firewall or pedal box (which is common in certain model manual falcons).
Yeah that sucks. If you go the au make sure its a series 2 or 3 better brakes and a nicer looking front end.
Old 23-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #23
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Dude , Au2 Falcon is my Car of Choice ,

Mines a AU2 SR with Stock Everything , K&N Filter , and Tickford Intake , and its Awesome to Drive !!

But Yeah , If you buy a Commodore , Be Prepared to be Bagged on Here , or better yet , just join the www.streetcommodores.com website !!

Cheers
Daniel
AU Owner and Proud of it !

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
Dude , Au2 Falcon is my Car of Choice ,

Mines a AU2 SR with Stock Everything , K&N Filter , and Tickford Intake , and its Awesome to Drive !!

But Yeah , If you buy a Commodore , Be Prepared to be Bagged on Here , or better yet , just join the www.streetcommodores.com website !!

Cheers
Daniel
AU Owner and Proud of it !
Why would a commodore owner (if that was their only ride) want to hang out with us. They wouldn't learn much about their car! LOL!

AU SR's are good vehicles. But like all cars could do with a little mod here, and a little mod there.......LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 23-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #25
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Why would a commodore owner (if that was their only ride) want to hang out with us. They wouldn't learn much about their car! LOL!
How the handling of the AU IRS setup wallops the........

Anyway, in all seriousnous though I have been on mixed car cruises and the biggest comments others make is how well the AU steers and handles for it's size.
Old 23-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #26
matt6n
Starter Motor

Thanks guys. I'm currently looking at an AU II Fairmont. It has done less than 100,000kms and comes with some BA wheels. It looks very sweet and is $10,500. Looks to be a great deal and if I get it I'll be sure to post some pics and come on some cruises.

Cheers
matt6n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

AU is a great car for the money your talking.

If i was on a tight budget and needed a nice, powerful and cheap car to run it would certainly be an AUII / AUIII, SR or XR6 HP!

I know the XRs are a little more but if you want something your going to be happy with for a quiet a few years i suggest spending a few xtra dollars now and getting yourself the XR6 HP, they are a REALLY nice car!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6n
Thanks guys. I'm currently looking at an AU II Fairmont. It has done less than 100,000kms and comes with some BA wheels. It looks very sweet and is $10,500. Looks to be a great deal and if I get it I'll be sure to post some pics and come on some cruises.

Cheers
Sounds great! If I had my time again, I would have bought a Fairmont Ghia, Fairmont, or an XR6 or XR8.

Hope you get it, and post some pics soon.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG