Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Default Ex taxi market.

Hi guys,

Been to Sydney and back yesterday to pick up another car. my father in law paired his 95 magna with a roo and needed some new transport. I offered to get him a cheapy to run around in until he knew what he wanted to do.

Followed a thread on an ebay and and bought a 1999 AU ex taxi with December 09 rego and an impco LPG system for $1000. The lights all work, the car drove well and the body is base station spec (bad)

So we drove the 400k home. The car was a bit thirsty for gas (anyone got some pointers for how to tune (lean off) impco?)

I also got futura alloy rims with new tyres ($500) and a balance.

Got an $85 detail at platinum car wash at ashfield (nice people)

Today I did plugs and leads, flushed engine oil and new oil and filter. Trans oil and filter, air filter, coolant flush with new coolant, some air box repairs and re did the battery terminals. ($260 in parts)

The engine while used runs like a swiss watch and the trans is very smooth with no thumps or slippage - has a decent trans cooler fitter too.

so for $1845 and a 1/2 day being greasy, I have a car that has nice cold a/c, kid proof vinyl seats (with new cond fabric under neath) an impco gas system (I understand these are good) that I would be confident to take anywhere and enjoy.

I am amazed that these cars get overlooked by people looking for cheap transport.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot of people in Sydney buy ex taxi's but there the only people who actually deal with LPG workshops usually. Example a taxi driver will tell a friend and so on, but they usually sell very quick and dont advertise on ebay or any other forum as they sell by word of mouth.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Alot of people in Sydney buy ex taxi's but there the only people who actually deal with LPG workshops usually. Example a taxi driver will tell a friend and so on, but they usually sell very quick and dont advertise on ebay or any other forum as they sell by word of mouth.
Yeah I sort of agree. But I have bought two ex taxis now, and both within a couple of days of looking.

Regarding your search for an EF/EL XR there was a tidy on on Parramatta road for $5,990 just near Drummoyne Point road (Ashfield)

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

I know a few people who have done well with extaxis. The main thing to look out for is evidence of a big hit and dodgy repair. Anything else can be fixed at a reasonable cost with an AU. Owner driven cars ( avoid depot cars) are probably the best ones to go for.
Impco systems are good and a ballpark tuning by ear is quite easy. Create a vacuum leak by taking off the PCV hose at the valve and immediately block the hose with your finger. Engine should still be idling and now create a small vac leak by lifting your finger off the hose until it starts to hiss. Listen carefully to the engine revs. If the revs go up then the rich fuel mix is starting to match the extra air you have introduced. If motor drops revs then you have a lean condition. To adjust you have to turn the idle screw, it is the big flathead type screw with the spring on the side of the convertor. Winding in will decrease air and winding out will increase air. If motor is rich then wind out slowly and then introduce a little extra air thru the Pcv hose. Takle note of what the engine is now doing. If revs go up but less than before you are on the right track. Try to get the mix to a stage where a little extra air the revs go up a little but if you start to open up the Pcv hose hole by 30% the revs should drop off and motor should be stalling. If you run out of threads on the idle screw then it is running way too rich and convertor will need lean off shims in the diaphragm. Being an ex taxi i'd be guessing it will need a new diaphragm and valve. After having said all of this, i still think it's worth your while having the AFR checked on a gas analyzer for optimum tune. Gas isn't as cheap as it used to be and the money spent will save you money in the long run.
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

My Brother drives a AU1 Ex-Taxi, he likes it, drives well enough, does burn a little oil but knowing him the poor thing won't have had a service in a while.

Besides a few basic things like warped rotors and a dead battery seems to have been a good thing for him.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda
I know a few people who have done well with extaxis. The main thing to look out for is evidence of a big hit and dodgy repair. Anything else can be fixed at a reasonable cost with an AU. Owner driven cars ( avoid depot cars) are probably the best ones to go for.
Impco systems are good and a ballpark tuning by ear is quite easy. Create a vacuum leak by taking off the PCV hose at the valve and immediately block the hose with your finger. Engine should still be idling and now create a small vac leak by lifting your finger off the hose until it starts to hiss. Listen carefully to the engine revs. If the revs go up then the rich fuel mix is starting to match the extra air you have introduced. If motor drops revs then you have a lean condition. To adjust you have to turn the idle screw, it is the big flathead type screw with the spring on the side of the convertor. Winding in will decrease air and winding out will increase air. If motor is rich then wind out slowly and then introduce a little extra air thru the Pcv hose. Takle note of what the engine is now doing. If revs go up but less than before you are on the right track. Try to get the mix to a stage where a little extra air the revs go up a little but if you start to open up the Pcv hose hole by 30% the revs should drop off and motor should be stalling. If you run out of threads on the idle screw then it is running way too rich and convertor will need lean off shims in the diaphragm. Being an ex taxi i'd be guessing it will need a new diaphragm and valve. After having said all of this, i still think it's worth your while having the AFR checked on a gas analyzer for optimum tune. Gas isn't as cheap as it used to be and the money spent will save you money in the long run.
Thanks for the tuning tips - just what I needed.

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
My Brother drives a AU1 Ex-Taxi, he likes it, drives well enough, does burn a little oil but knowing him the poor thing won't have had a service in a while.

Besides a few basic things like warped rotors and a dead battery seems to have been a good thing for him.
Yeah they need love, cant just keep abusing them. rotors @ $~80 - 110 +pads @ ~$50 and battery for $40 is a cheap fix.

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.