Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
mercury maid
Banned

Default Car that runs on pure air

This might be old news but here's a video of a car that runs on just air..

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/v...r-driven-cars/

And i guy in melbourne built a rotary air engine.. w= : :

mercury maid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

Most importantly, the company plans to begin sales next year.

lol cost a arm and a leg to buy 1 of those

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

So, when will the governement start a fuel excise tax on air?

(I'm not joking...) :

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

2 hours of running on 1 tank of air :| i hope its a very small tank because consumers wont want that short running time.
Maybe a petrol air compressor on board to run it :P

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
BlackLS

It takes more energy to compress the air compared to the output it puts out. Its just not a viable solution to petrol.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with finding alternate sources of fuel for cars is that people are settling for anything.
This is a boutique idea that will not work for people who actually want to get anywhere.

What Australia needs to do is say, "We only want something that will permanently replace petrol...not a FAD".

Then maybe we'll get somewhere
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Air powered transport I don't think will replace regular petrol in cars.

However for pushbikes, scooters, golf karts etc where distances are short it could be a interesting option.

For example a golf kart that can drive around the course, then be recharged in a few mins is a great idea.

Scooters that could help people get around city areas or indoors. Air motors make no pollution from the vechical and are quiet excellent for indoor or urban areas.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
miitch
orgasmic.

Pushbikes?

Hahahaha

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The problem with finding alternate sources of fuel for cars is that people are settling for anything.
This is a boutique idea that will not work for people who actually want to get anywhere.

What Australia needs to do is say, "We only want something that will permanently replace petrol...not a FAD".

Then maybe we'll get somewhere
This is where the problem with electric cars is. Take the car due to come out in America in 07 (I've forgotten its name). It is completely electric and uses a battery to travel 250miles. Thats all well and good, but you need your house power, or a charging station, to charge it for 4hrs or so. Fuel is just going to be replaced by extra load at the power station and then we are burning coal faster.

Sure, its a great solution - but don't power stations create something like 60% of the pollution?
Old 25-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your forgetting something very important. An internal conbustion engine is around 20% efficient while a power plant gets around 90% efficientcy. So the power they make is MUCH cheaper than the car. They also have filters that clean the air as well. They are very clean for what they are.

You also are taking the pollution away from places such as cities. It stops the concentration of pollution in cities which will in turn improve air quality and health. No its not a direct replacement for petrol but can take SOME of the load off petrol.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

While a coal power station is 90% efficent the distribution and storage is not

losses in:
-Transporting from powerstation to your house (quite a bit)
-Storage into batteries (lots and lots of wastage here)

The distribution network would need a massive upgrade to feed this sort of stuff on a large scale.

You would be better off burning the coal in the car. As a external combustion engine. Burns cleaner and use any combustable fuel (gas, liquid, solid, etc). regenerative braking can also be used to build up pressure. As well as compressed air running.

Accessories could be run off a turbine, so things like alternator, power steering, aircon, etc could all be run extremely efficently. No idle is needed so added efficency. BMW is looking into this, using waste heat from the IC engine to power accessories.

Steam powered cars predate internal combustion and electric cars. In the early 1900's a stanley steamer clocked over 200 kmph on daytona beach a record that still stands for steam, and took several decades for ic engined cars to catch.

Steam powered trains produced well over 2000 hp, and could spin up ~8 linked ~180cm high steel wheels weighing over 500kg each with ease. They could also travel at over 200 kmph with passenger cars back in the 1930's with some timetables requiring average speeds over 160 kmph. Diesel trains have only fairly recently began to match these speeds.

Steam power has a power delivery like few else. "Pulls like a steam train" is a phrase used to describe massive torque at idle that just doesn't quit. Piston steam engines also have a lot of charater with huffying and puffing.. They are also a lot smoother than IC engines, but more emotive than electric engines.

My dream is to make a modern steam powered car. Possibly a combination of tripple expansion and steam turbine for maxium efficency. With computer controlled combustion, predictive power production, quick heating micro boiliers.

There was actually a steam powered ford falcon made in the 60's.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steam power isn't a viable option for a road going vehicle.

Even though there are loses a powerplant and distribution network is still MASSIVLY more efficient than an internal combustion engine
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish to make a clean recommendation for cars...

We can have engines run by mice (or hamsters) on wheels...the old piece of cheese.

You might need a lot of mice to run a Commodore or Falcon, but minus the poo, it's clean.

I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

90% efficiency from a coal plant (or pretty much any power plant)? Dreaming...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
2 hours of running on 1 tank of air :| i hope its a very small tank because consumers wont want that short running time.
Maybe a petrol air compressor on board to run it :P
Stick the kids in the back and get their to blow into a tube connected to the tank. Not only do you get free power, but the kids are kept quiet and they get so light headed from all that blowing, they pass out for even more peice and quiet.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a cruise through here, real Aussies working on real projects.........

http://www.csiro.au/csiro/content/standard/ps1lc,,.html

http://www.csiro.au/csiro/content/standard/ps1l0,,.html
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #17
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Stick the kids in the back and get their to blow into a tube connected to the tank. Not only do you get free power, but the kids are kept quiet and they get so light headed from all that blowing, they pass out for even more peice and quiet.

Now your thinking as only a parent could

Best option yet
Old 25-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
McobraR
me may my mo

cool!, now f*rts have a purpose. :
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Now your thinking as only a parent could

Best option yet
: gotta be cheaper than DVD screen's in the back :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
90% efficiency from a coal plant (or pretty much any power plant)? Dreaming...
Exactly, from what I remember the “efficiency” of an electric car’s engine, once you take into account the generation and distribution of the power is roughly the same as a petrol engine in the low 20% range. The most efficient engines are the big turbocharged two stroke diesels in ships that turn at 100rpm, they can achieve 50% efficiency or more.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #21
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
While a coal power station is 90% efficent the distribution and storage is not

-Storage into batteries (lots and lots of wastage here)

T
isn't it somthing like a 1000 units of energy in for every 1 unit out?
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #22
turboute
turboute

What is important is how many Joules of energy can be stored per unit volume. Petrol has a really high amount of energy/volume and it is also relately stable making it a great fuel for cars.

If we could compress gas enough that the amount of potential engergy was the same it could be a viable alternative - this is the problem though, to get to those types of pressures the 'tank' would weigh a ton due to the enormous pressuresit would have to hold.

As for electric cars - if petrol can give you x amount of Joules per Dollar (which fluctuates alot lol) and energy from power plants comes at y joules per dollar, you will probably find that the difference in cost is huge, which is why an electric car may only take $2-3 to charge and still get you 200km, meanwhile a small car will cost $15-20 to do the same. meanwhile the amount of energy required to power the car is the same.
If we started trading in energy units, electric cars would be unheard of. Also they probably still pollute the environment just as much anyway.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #23
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, one other thing electric cars, 1. In 3 to 5 years when the battery Crap out and you need to spend $3000 on a new battery packs oh goodie> granted still cheaper than feeding an petrol car over 3 years but the outlay of $3000 on the spot would be a bit of a shock.

And I can run my Petrol car for 5,10,15, 20hrs and so on adn so on Without a problem all I need to do is take 5 minutes to fill the tank every 400 to 700K’s.

Also How am I meant to charge my electric powered 4WD half way along the canning stock route, on that point pulling into Newman after a bit of a drive up the Gt Northern to charge battery for 4hrs before moving on is just not an practical option.

Electric cars are practical in the city and for short day-to-day use but outside of the city or on long trip’s Petrol, Diesel or Gas powered infernal consumption engines are the only real option at this stage.

Cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #24
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

And then you have to consider the disposal/long term storage of the dead batteries.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
It takes more energy to compress the air compared to the output it puts out. Its just not a viable solution to petrol.
They said in the first video that it only takes a couple of bucks in petrol to fill up a tank which lasts 200km. Thats ok if you ask me, just have a little petrol generator with a 20 litre tank, so it will cost you about $26 to travel 2000km
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This is a great start for the future of motor vehicles.

It looks and sounds agricultural but over time the development will get underway and they will continue to improve. who knows, even with a turbo charger set up. Got to be good not only for the environment, but tight a55e5 like me who dispise the petroleum industry.

I wouldnt mind one at all.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #27
bigjim

These cars seem like a bit of a pipe dream, and also very similar to a lot of industrial equipment. There are plenty of air powered motors used in industry, but never for high power applications, where hydraulic systems are favoured, due to the fact that oil is incompressible and much better for power transfer at high pressure.
Which brings me to the second point- the amount of pressure required for these engines to work seems rather unfeasible. In the first video they mentioned working pressures of 300 bar, which is huge (over 4400 psi). I work on heavy agricultural hydrualic systems, and usually max pressure in these is around 250 bar, so moving this air around at 300 bar without leaks reliably could be a huge issue, not mentioning trying to compress the air to that pressure in the first place (considering most compressors, even in workshops, only go to around 100 psi or roughly 7 bar)
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post