Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
stiddy
Banned

Default Why Why Why

hey everyone....

You'll never guess what happened to me about an hour ago..

The post man on his little postie was doing his daily route but this time decided to scrape down the side of my car.. and i didnt park my car any differently this time, its been parked in the same spot for the last 6 months..

now there are heaps long (1.5m) down to metal scratches starting from infront of the front wheel arch right down to the end of the drivers door, and there are scruff marks and little scratches all the way down the side of the car..

Anyone had anything similar happen? what did you do?

Ive rang the post office, and now its under investigation, but the lady on the other end didnt really seem to fussed about it..
ive also rang the police and they say that i can either go in and do a report OR wait it out and see what happens with australia post..

and 2 weeks ago i had some vandals kick a dent in the rear just above the wheel arch.. I went to the police about it then and they did nothing about it.. they didnt seem really concerned about it at all..

any advice, suggestions anything at all would be great..

thanks,
Matt

stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Meh, report it to the police as well as Aust post. Aust post will surely know who the postie is on your route, but if you report it to the police, at least there is a record of it happening if Aust post want to turn a blind eye.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

yes do whatever you can . make a report find out the postmans name .do everything you can in writing take photos of the car get him to admit it was him . this could all blow over if you dont cops dont give a ratts . ring your insurance company and ask them what to do . take immediate action .you are the only one concerned about this and it is up to you . nobody cares anymore best of luck and let us know the outcome.if you get ignored follow the posty in your car all the way to his house and write down his address while he is watching you . it's ashame you have to sink to these levels but a decent person would've knocked on your door and informed you of the accident . don't know the legalities of where your car was parked though .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

life is one big ...

Sorry to hear it mate :(
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
2 weeks ago i had some vandals kick a dent in the rear just above the wheel arch.. I went to the police about it then and they did nothing about it.. they didnt seem really concerned about it at all..
Hi Stiddy,

Telling the cops is a waste of time, they wont do anything for vandalism, unless you've got the person on tape. They didn't even want to write a statement for my car when it got burgled. I'd park somewhere else, sounds like it's a pretty bad spot to park.

As for the postie... Take plenty of pics of the damage, and show them that. I'm sure they're more likley to pay up if they see the damage. I'd also be having a word with the postie tomorrow :
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you actually see the postie do it? If not maybe it was the same mongrels that dented your car. Maybe someone doesn't like where you park it.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Did you actually see the postie do it? If not maybe it was the same mongrels that dented your car. Maybe someone doesn't like where you park it.
Maybe it was a troop of garden gnomes on their yearly migration to the curbside!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
BlackLS

Quote:
hey everyone....

You'll never guess what happened to me about an hour ago..

The post man on his little postie was doing his daily route but this time decided to scrape down the side of my car.. and i didnt park my car any differently this time, its been parked in the same spot for the last 6 months..

now there are heaps long (1.5m) down to metal scratches starting from infront of the front wheel arch right down to the end of the drivers door, and there are scruff marks and little scratches all the way down the side of the car..

Anyone had anything similar happen? what did you do?

Ive rang the post office, and now its under investigation, but the lady on the other end didnt really seem to fussed about it..
ive also rang the police and they say that i can either go in and do a report OR wait it out and see what happens with australia post..

and 2 weeks ago i had some vandals kick a dent in the rear just above the wheel arch.. I went to the police about it then and they did nothing about it.. they didnt seem really concerned about it at all..

any advice, suggestions anything at all would be great..

thanks,
Matt
Oh man, thats no good, to a sweet AU as well! I'd stop the postie tomorrow and check out the bike.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

yes i saw him do it!
i was laying in bed and when i heard him i got up to look out the window to see if he would stop and deliver anything or keep going.. as i do every morning..
and yeah i saw him grind up the side of my car..

and by the time i was half decent to go outside he was gone..

Last edited by stiddy; 02-11-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #10
BlackLS

Quote:
yes i saw him do it!
i was laying in bed and when i heard him i got up to look out the window to see if he would stop and deliver anything or keep going.. as i do every morning..
and yeah i saw him grind up the side of my car..

That woulda been painful to watch
Old 02-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then you have a case and every right to complain. As you actually saw it happen and rung them ASAP,noted times etc you should have a decent outcome. I would follow it up first thing in the morning,possibly take car to PO when they have had a chance to interview rider. Good luck,but it is Australia Post so don't expect things to happen overnight.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

i was at Stidd's house like an hour ago. and his panels are rooted. they are gonan need to be entirely resprayed. take it up with Aus post or sue. you can even see red on the front bar from the posties bike. the evidence is there. report it to the cops as well *shrug*
Old 02-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

sorry to hear that mate!
I copped a nice shopping trolley scrape a few months back, right down to the metal aswell.. of course no one left contact details.

I cant imagine how you didnt run out stark naked and clothesline that clown off his bike!
How can any decent human just ride off after doing that is beyond me.

good luck with screwing this guy HARD mate!

otherwise if all else fails, set up a nice booby trap at your letter box for him, so that next time he drops the mail and tries to add some more custom panel work on ya car he will think twice about doing it again!

Rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Maybe it was a troop of garden gnomes on their yearly migration to the curbside!
Thats it all ways blame the tradsmen and chubby folk!

Is it just because of my user name you choose to be so cruel !!!!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Cant the postman be prosecuted by the police for leaving the scene of an accident, without reporting it??? Take him to the cleaners!

Gubas
Old 02-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #16
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Definitely report to the police..

And you're right the police wont do anything BUT when you show up at the PO with a copy of a police report and ask for compensation/payment-for-repairs or you'll be following it up in court.. I guarantee it'll be a lot more effective than you just spouting words at them.

It'll prove your serious, and they WONT want to go to court over it.

Settle for nothing other than FULL repairs paid for by them, by a professional.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #17
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubas
Cant the postman be prosecuted by the police for leaving the scene of an accident, without reporting it???
The mans a Postal Worker, being arrested and jailed would be like a holiday to Hawaii.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #18
stiddy
Banned

Went into the Cop station this arvo, and they were telling me not to worry about it until the post office comes back to me with something..
i even asked him can he alteast write something down to show that i came in about the matter and what had happened.. and he said no.. and if i really want to get the police involved i should ring the Police Assitance line..

whats the go with that....
Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #19
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad luck man.. Im always sorry 2 hear that that stuff happens.. u would think people would be more careful..

Yeah everyone has said what my thoughts were but all i can say is good luck with it and keep fighting it.

Sorry 2 hear
Matt
ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #20
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

sounds like every other cop shop around australia mate!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #21
EFXRSIK

that sucks mate. very sorry to hear. make sure u select your choice of repairer too.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #22
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell the cops the postie was speeding too and they'll probably be more interested
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #23
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work with such situations daily - Heres what to do:

1) You have reported it to Aus Post. Step 1 is Done
2) Ring Aus Post again and ask for the name of their insurer and also ask them to send you a copy of "guidelines for making a claim".
3) Ring your insurer now (if you have one) and give them the name of Aus Posts insurer (they will now do all the work for you.)
4) If you dont have an insurer, ring Aus Posts insurer yourself and report the incident - you will probably have to now write a letter of demand and send it to Aus Post's insurer (make sure to cc Aus Post).
5) I hope you have taken photo's of the damage - keep copies and also send these to the insurer.

Sit back and try not to worry (these things take ages) - they will most probably inspect the bike for damage - if they find paint or other scrapes you have a good chance.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Was the car parked in a driveway????
Was it parked across the footpath section????
or was is parked on the Council nature strip ... ie: between the mail box and the gutter ... anywhere along the front of your house????

If you are parked on the Council nature strip ... I am afraid you don't have a leg to stand on as you are illegally parked ... your case will be thrown out of court as well if you take it that far.

If the car is parked in the driveway but partly across the nature-strip section ... you are also illegally parked (even though it is your driveway as well).

So just to let you know if your car is parked anywhere between the mailbox and the street (any part along the front of your yard) ... you are on council property and you can actually be fined for it ... depends how leniant your council is though ... but cops aren't so leniany sometimes.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #25
coolkid

so if i were to see a car parked illegally i could vandalise it in front of a cop or council officer and they would do nothing cos the car is doing an illegal thing?
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

240V letterbox.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #27
stiddy
Banned

update....

This morning i got the posties rego number..
Rang australia post and gave them the rego number, they finished off there report.. and now its been looked into by there investigators, and put through their transport insurance side of things..
i rang the police assistance line, and they told me that i have to go in to a police station and make a report.. so i went back to that police station and told them that i spoke to police assistance and they told me i had to come in yadda yadda yadda..

ok so the hesitant cop, made a report, and is going to ring the post office and follow it up just to make sure something is being done.. and also the officer has seen the pictures of the scratches..

so i will get a call over the next few days to find out what is happening...
Old 03-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #28
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

stiddy mate! that bloody atrocious of the postie to ride off like that! gutless wonder I say...the right thing to do is to stop and tell the owner, Aust post have insurance for these kinds of situations...they made $1.56 Billion!!! profit last year so it should'nt be a problem...how do i know, well.....Im.....hmmm...arrr.....Im a postie!! please go easy on me forum members, It's a living! But all jokes aside, If you get no action from Aust post then go straight to A Current Affair and tell big Ray....Aussie post hate bad media releases...good luck with it mate!

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #29
stiddy
Banned

1.5billion hey.. *maybe i can score a XR50 bodykit out of this* jk

at this stage, going by the damange i will need the front 1/4, the front door.. and possible the rear door resprayed.. and i think the marks on the side of the front bar can be buffed out..
but yeah im not overly impressed with it as im sure you could all imagine...
i got a phone call back about 15mins ago from the police officer saying he rang Australia post and i will hear from them soon..
Old 04-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #30
stiddy
Banned

Another update...

The postman, has admitted to hitting my car.. he said and i quote " yes i rubbed up agaisnt his car, but i was unaware that any damage was caused... and i will take full responsibility of what has happened"

Anyhow i got a phone call from Australia post saying the investigation as proved the postmant o be at fault, and that now the ball is in my hands as to what i want done with this, i said to him I want it Fixed, i want all the damanged caused to be repaired and the front bumper, front 1/4 drivers door to be re sprayed..

he said yes that wont be a problem, Now i have to wait for another member from Australia post Insurance company to give me a call, and collect quotes from the damange and whatever else..

The ball is rolling, and Australia post will be covering the cost of fixing my car..

(oh and they werent happy that i got the police on the case...)