Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
KETX3
Starter Motor

Default Focus Questions

Hi guys,

I'm looking at upgrading from my Laser TX3 to a Focus XR5 early next year. I have a few questions though for you experienced owners.

What are the servicing costs like?

Should I be looking at the LT model, or the newer LV model? What are the differences aside from the front end look and the rear lights (if any)?

Cheers.

KETX3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate,

Servicing isn't overly expensive, where bouts are you from? If NSW Sinclair ford are the kings of XR5 servicing in our state and have great prices.

If you are in QLD Nova ford is the mecca for the XR5 in australia.

As for model, mate it's all down to you.

The LV got a new dash cluster which you may either love / hate / not notice at all.

The LV has a few different things such as push start (which I admit I wish I had in my LT).

The new NEW LV (09 and beyond) have a shorter gear stick (We are sure it's the one from the RS) and whilst it sounds insignificant, it is a nice piece of kit.

Apart from that the engine is the same, gearbox is the same etc, but for some reason we swear that the new LV's pull harder than the LT did when stock..

Head over to www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum for more information mate, and if you have any more questions I'm happy to help
Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Hehe, pulls harder. (I'll grow up one day)

For the most part the differences between all three models is merely cosmetic and gadgetry diferences.

The only real mechanical difference is that the early LS XR5's had a smaller intercooler which was replaced about half way through the model year with a bigger one (that's still not quite up to an Aussie summer)

For the most part they'll all drive the same.

Mind you I didn't know that about the different shifter on the 09 onwards models. I'll need to have a look at this.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
KETX3
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies guys. What are part costs like? I know for my car at the moment part costs are very cheap as its a laser, and they are very easy to work on.

Edit: forgot to mention im in melbourne.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

FYI, the Focus XR5 has been officially discontinued. I believe finally shipment is in November. So if you want one, i suggest ordering sooner, rather than later!

Other than that, they are an effing great car Parts are plentiful due to the popularity of the model. Cosmetic parts especially.

And yes, the LV does pull harder (had to be said :P)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What part costs are you referring to?

Replacement items such as brakes etc?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
KETX3
Starter Motor

Won't be ordering as im not purchasing brand new. The focus will be my 2nd car. Ive had the tx3 as my first car..
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
KETX3
Starter Motor

Yep general replacement parts like brakes, timing belt, drive shafts etc..