Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
ELtim
Six One Eight

Default Mining

Well pretty soon I'm leaving school to get an apprentiship and gain a trade to work in the mines. I might even be going to TAFE or a technical college.

My idea is to work in a major open-cut mine. The price tag for workers is at about 160k a year for only 9 months work.

I'm a pretty good student but I hate being at school.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

My brother is doing some work up at Roxby at the moment, if you like I'll grab some info or something off him when I see him next (probably one night during this week - we live in the same house but hardly see each other)
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
ELtim
Six One Eight

Yeah that would be awesome man. Thanks....

BTW, Northern Suburbs Rule!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
Thornie
Off smelting

rio tinto currently has apprenticeships open for 2008 off the top of my head i cant remember what they have open. but it's somthing like 8 fitter and turning 8 electrical and 3 boilermaking thats off the top of my head as i didnt buy the news paper this week.apparently the money is really really good for a 1st year apprentice. If you can get in. I myself am going for a boilermaker apprenticeship but i have an interview as a process worker at the smelter on monday 31 bucks an hour for being a shitkicker is good for me + it's an endless summer up here in central QLD as well.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 AM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
BTW, Northern Suburbs Rule!
Now you're just trying to stir shyte

Nah I'll have a chat to him, I think he knew somebody who knew somebody type thing, but I'll see what info I can get from him.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
ELtim
Six One Eight

Thanks heeps man.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah you need to get some good advice about going in for a mining career - from what I hear most young guys with little experience get hired on one year contracts when the mines panic that they don't have enough staff.

In the meantime during the year, the mine re-evaluates their staff numbers and finds suitable applicants with the qualifications the mine really wants. Then they simply turn around and not renew the contract of the young bloke.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My advice mate, is go to TAFE or a technical college first.

Who knows you may not like it. I'm doing a pre apprenticeship Fitter/Machinist course, and I'm not really sure if I want to pursue it after I'm done.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if you are going to be a apprentice you will be going to TAFE,, Thou if your working for a mining company the pay is at least half decent as a apprentice but the hours are big.

Oh and you won't be making anywhere near 160K for quite some time, after you are qualified, Around the 100k mark is what fitters get depending on you location.

Most of my mates are on between 79-130k working anything from a Flat 38houre week to fly in/out roasters, not bad at 20-23

Cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Well if you are going to be a apprentice you will be going to TAFE,, Thou if your working for a mining company the pay is at least half decent as a apprentice but the hours are big.

Oh and you won't be making anywhere near 160K for quite some time, after you are qualified, Around the 100k mark is what fitters get depending on you location.

Most of my mates are on between 79-130k working anything from a Flat 38houre week to fly in/out roasters, not bad at 20-23

Cheers.
Yeah. I know that much. I'm going to a technical college next year I think.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #11
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is people are earning 28k at K-mart and then they get into the mines, within a year they're thinking "I'm worth more than a measly 80k a year" half the time their not worth a pinch of shite. If you earn 160k a year you will be expected to EARN 160k a year. Hours, workload, isolation there is a reason we earn a good pay don't go into it thinking easy street.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
gngtho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
The problem is people are earning 28k at K-mart and then they get into the mines, within a year they're thinking "I'm worth more than a measly 80k a year" half the time their not worth a pinch of shite. If you earn 160k a year you will be expected to EARN 160k a year. Hours, workload, isolation there is a reason we earn a good pay don't go into it thinking easy street.

I know i just had an interview with my mates dad, he is a superintendant, at roxby i don't know what site exactly, ill be waiting another 2 weeks before thier HR dept get things in order, but he just told me starting wage after tax and all the mumbo jumbo is 52k and thats working 12 hours a day 4on 4off no fly ins or outs you have to drive, and after a year you pay goes up if you are good enough.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
gngtho
Banned

I think you are worth the hours and sacrifice you put into a place not only its the interest and motivation you have every day and the attitude.

like you said RIPGMH some people think they are king shite but dont realise that people with that atitude don't get very far.

I like to think im hard working put my head down do what im told with no if buts and thats how ive done it for years working in factory's and have managed to even get better possitions than people who have worked there longer than i have,
when im asked how the hell i got to be their bos all i say is i don't winge i do what im told THE FIRST TIME and i do how the boss whants it done.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
trent
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
I know i just had an interview with my mates dad, he is a superintendant, at roxby i don't know what site exactly, ill be waiting another 2 weeks before thier HR dept get things in order, but he just told me starting wage after tax and all the mumbo jumbo is 52k and thats working 12 hours a day 4on 4off no fly ins or outs you have to drive, and after a year you pay goes up if you are good enough.

52k after tax isn't too bad.
2 weeks on is bad enough, let alone 4 weeks. :togo:
trent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #15
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Agreed i cleared 137,000 on a 4 n 1 roster.. Great $$ but at the cost of my social life
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #16
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngtho
I think you are worth the hours and sacrifice you put into a place not only its the interest and motivation you have every day and the attitude.

like you said RIPGMH some people think they are king shite but dont realise that people with that atitude don't get very far.

I like to think im hard working put my head down do what im told with no if buts and thats how ive done it for years working in factory's and have managed to even get better possitions than people who have worked there longer than i have,
when im asked how the hell i got to be their bos all i say is i don't winge i do what im told THE FIRST TIME and i do how the boss whants it done.
If you keep that attitude you'll do well, don't ever say something can't be done just find a way to do it. Respect everyone no matter what their position and make safety your first priority. If you start out chasing dollars you'll end up chasing dollars, find a place you feel comfortable with and give as much as you take.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post