Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
BuuBox

Default Heating issue, help!

Putting it simply, the heater in my EB Fairmont doesn't work. Found out last night, freezing in Melbourne :(

It'll come on for a second, and be warm, but then just gets cold after a few seconds. I think the air conditioning compressor might be kicking in, because the idle seems to change when I put it in. I'm talking about the digital climate control system in the Fairmonts, if that changes anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't really want to rip the thing apart, and change the heater core, seems like a job and a half.

Thanks for your assistance
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Blend Door motor sounds like its rooted.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
4lex
the pom

Is the heater tap working properly? Replaced mine the other day, a fairly easy job under the car - but get a couple of hose clamps first or you'll get a face full of coolant.
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
BuuBox

This is the first EB I've worked on... went looking for the heater tap before, but couldn't find it. Now, I'm blind when it comes to actually finding anything, so could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
4lex
the pom

Under the starter motor. Easy enough to park two wheels on the kerb and get under so about your knees are under the front valance. One pipe from the head, under the inlet manifold and one to the heater matrix on the bulkhead, plus the vacuum hose are attached to it. Pipes on mine were flexible enough to clamp - might be enough just to strip it out and flush through if it's full of crap?
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
BuuBox

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks. Hopefully I'll get some results!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

when you turn the car on does the climate control flash?
if so press the "demist", "off" and "floor" buttons at the same time to do a system diagnostic test.

should give you an error code.

when it stops being warm, does the fan speed up to full speed as well?.

mine was doing the not warm / full speed fan thing, then stopped all of a sudden and has been fine since
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
BuuBox

I tried the diagnostic test, and it went through the test (making some weird noises, heh) but didn't bring up any error codes. Was flashing 'OFF' on the screen before it finished though?

I'll have to get some jack stands before I can take a good look underneath the car.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
NZ
~~~

The heater tap should have a green vac hose going to it check thats connected.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
BIGKEV

Talking

MIne did it too I found that the green vacuum hose off of the tap under the starter motor had a slight kink in it might be the same thing. :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
I tried the diagnostic test, and it went through the test (making some weird noises, heh) but didn't bring up any error codes. Was flashing 'OFF' on the screen before it finished though?

I'll have to get some jack stands before I can take a good look underneath the car.
those funky noises is the test checking that all the different flaps in the box are working.
it flashed off after its finished to let ya know alls fine and dandy.

sounds like the tap..., as said check the vacc hose
Old 05-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
BuuBox

The vacc hose seems like it's alright, however theres a rubber hose coming from the actual tap, then a joiner, then the green hose heading into the dash. I'll climb under the car and check the actual tap tomorrow, stupid gravel driveway isn't making things easy! Might head down to the wreckers or Repco and grab one tomorrow. Wish me luck Looks like it's getting warmer, so mmm.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #13
BuuBox

Okay, I decided to actually have a play around with it today, as it's not getting any warmer...

I installed another climate control unit, as my one was faded. It's from an EA rather than an EB series 1, is there any difference? It doesn't seem to want to display any fan settings when you simply press "fresh" when the unit it set to off, like the previous unit did. A difference I noticed, however, was that it was set to be in "econ" mode, and when it was in this mode, it actually blew out some heat. When "econ" was switched off, it went cold again.

Would this suggest that's its not the heater tap? Or that's it's not passing enough water through to the heater core, and not overcoming the cold air that's being 'blended' into the system?

I'll just have to pull my finger out and have a proper look at the system, but I thought I'd ask here again, just to hear what you all think. Thanks! Can't say I've ever had to look at a car's heating system before... on a positive note, the air conditioning is perfect... hah
Old 04-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

the "econ" mode cancels out the AC system, - basically just runs as a heater / cooler, without using the aircon

those issues sound wierd...... me has no idea
Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 PM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it is possible someone has removed the centre from the thermostat....

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #16
BuuBox

Racecraft, that would be possible, never thought to look actually. Might be an issue, engine seems to run too cold, if anything. I'll have to try replacing the thermostat and heater tap this weekend...

Thanks!