Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default The joys of modifying.

So. A quick rundown on my little Saga.
Two of my good mates run 2NV Motorsport here in Adelaide. They compete in burnout comps with the dream of making it big. The hero car is a Gemini coupe with a Holden 304 and Nos. It's pretty cool, but it can't be the only car. A while back, I was driving over to the garage and spotted a mechanic shop with a forlorn little Mazda 323 hatch, rwd. It looked like the kind of car someone had bought in for a tune up and just left for ever. I got to the garage and told the boys. Got sent back with some cash, around 600, but got warned to bring change...and pizza.
Ended up trotting over to the head mechanic and telling him about our desire to fit big motors to small cars. He just smiles and pops the bonnet on the little Mazda. Bloody VP V6 in there!! Mounted, loom, trans, the works! Straight away I said, 400, right now.
done!!
So I hitched a rope to my falcon, towed it to the street corner with their junior braking the Mazda, then arranged a quick rental trailer to get it back.
Forgot the pizza. But I was praised for the cheap, 80% complete skid car.
Fast forward and it's nearly there. Custom tailshaft, paint and she's good to roll.
The fuel system is a VL pump, runs a VK 3 core V8 radiator, AU thermos, 300zx bucket seats, and a tailshaft loop and Mazda locked diff.
Anyway, my part in 2NV is largely focused on promotions and being the "front man". I'm the most approachable apparently. I was asked, however, around 4 weeks ago, if I wanted a bigger role in the group.
If I pay for entry to gazzas and paint, it's mine to thrash. Yeah, I can do that.
So here I am, broke on a Thursday(got paid yesterday) but the Mazda is booked in to get it's paint next week. I have not slept more than 4 hours sleep a night in 2 weeks. Turns out there was a bit more work involved in that Mazda!!
Relocate the pump, wire in thermo fan switch, fit tailshaft loop, fit megashifter, remove diff, weld diff, fit diff, chop springs, remove handbrake cable, clamp rear lines, fit exhaust, prime, sanding, etc.
The last two weeks I have been working hard and the second I get paid it's gone into the paint fund. I have 20$ to myself which I buy cigarettes with. Yep back on the smokes, this is stressful work.
Anyway, it's almost over. Once it's painted it gets assembled and then I have been told to retire till gazzas. And I can keep my pay packets too!
Anyone else gone without to get a car ready? Tell us your story!
Sorry if mines too long.
Naish.

Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

no wonder your 'v8 fund' has disappeared and my v8 is still in my shed instead of yours
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

goodstuff Naishy bit of petrol head not much.. hehe.. good to see youll embrace what ever it takes to get your fix too many narrow minded people around nup wrong badge not interested..... and yep im a slave to my machines as well rich man poor man who cares much when you light em up......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Haha! Rob the fund is there, it's in one of those savings accounts I can't touch. I'm just not adding to it :(
oh well. Not much longer now (till I break something)
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Not much longer now (till I break something)

breakages are inevitable

if it won't go - force it! if it breaks - it needed replacing anyway!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Lol...Your doing O/K my 2 year Drag Celica 1UZ S400 project is on it's 3rd year now !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've gone without food and sleep many times!

But its good fun preparing a car for a comp, I spent many a late night in the shed getting my 302 TC ready for Gazzanats a few years back. But its all worth it!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
So I hitched a rope to my falcon
you have another Falcon, what did you end up getting? Or was that before yours was burnt?
Old 13-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Yeah before. Bought the Mazda around a year ago. Been dormant till recently.
Game. Reinvented.