Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
kiwi_ford
Starter Motor

Default any diffrences between AU 1 ecu and AU1 XR6 ecu

Just would like to know if this is an upgrade or am i better off doing something else as an ecu upgrade ?

kiwi_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It can be done, but needs to be coded to the vehicle by a Ford dealer.

IMO it's a waste of time if nothing else has been done.
Start with extractors, 2.5" sports exhaust, etc.
Old 15-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

The most important mod to do in conjunction with fitting an XR6 ECU is to fit the XR6 camshaft, as the VE table in the XR6 tune is matched to the cam. Fit one without the other and the car will run like shight.

And make sure it's an XR6 HP ECU, not a VCT one, as a VCT ECU will make a stock I6 run like shight regardless of camshaft.

But then it's probably a lot cheaper to buy a J3 chip with the XR6 bin on it from TI Performance, than to fork out for an XR6 ECU.

But you wouldn't do any of the above before doing the usual intake & exhaust mods, making sure there were no DTC codes indicating faulty sensors, and making sure your cat and O2 sensor are in good shape.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a HP XR6 ecu in my SR. Its hard to start when its cold but other than that it runs perfect.
Old 15-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

<snip> Double posted when the database crashed.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 19-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you put the XR6 HP ECU in you need to replace the cam and the fuel rail as well to get it running well ( you can't just change the reg as the rail opening is different for the XR reg)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
if you put the XR6 HP ECU in you need to replace the cam and the fuel rail as well to get it running well
Not true, I did my series 2 ute a few years back with no other change, and it ran fine.
In fact the only difference felt was a slightly sharper throttle response.
Old 19-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you may think it ran fine but put it on a dyno and see the results you will see a slightly faster rise in power but with reduced peak power. also in most cases you will have poor cold start due to the ECU thinking you have a different reg and cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Not true, I did my series 2 ute a few years back with no other change, and it ran fine.
In fact the only difference felt was a slightly sharper throttle response.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 19-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

I know it ran fine.
Seat of the pants it was no different except as I mentioned, sharper throttle response.
Cold start was slightly off, but nothing to be concerned about.

I know it wouldn't have been ideal on a dyno, my point was that it will run fine day to day, with barely a noticeable difference.
Quote:
you may think it ran fine but put it on a dyno and see the results you will see a slightly faster rise in power but with reduced peak power. also in most cases you will have poor cold start due to the ECU thinking you have a different reg and cam
Old 19-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
kiwi_ford
Starter Motor

so to get the best of the ecu a camshaft and fuel rail to suit, what are the power gains from a a stock intech I6 vs an XR6 ?
Old 19-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Standard 157 Kw 357 NM
XR HO 164 Kw 366 NM
so with the ECU cam and fuel rail /reg you will gain 7 Kw

Rides:

Old 19-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
kiwi_ford
Starter Motor

so would the AU XR ecu need to be programmed to fit into my AU or plug in and go ?
Old 19-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in a series two or three you need to program it but in a series one I belive all you need to do is plug it in and leave the ignition on till the smartlock light stops flashing ( about 1/2 an hour)

Rides:

Old 19-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

For the same money, but better result, buy an Xcal3 and get a custom tune
Old 19-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same money??? you can pick all that gear up for $250 to $300 if you shop around
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
For the same money, but better result, buy an Xcal3 and get a custom tune

Rides:

Old 20-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
kiwi_ford
Starter Motor

I can get the ecu for $40NZ cam and fuel rails for around $100
Old 20-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

And pick up 4 hp at the wheels, WOOT!
Old 22-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
in a series two or three you need to program it but in a series one I belive all you need to do is plug it in and leave the ignition on till the smartlock light stops flashing ( about 1/2 an hour)
Except if your Series 1 is a Series 1.5 with Smartshield, in which case you need to do as per Series 2 or 3.

Sleeper, anyone?