Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Damo's Manual Challenge

Howdy Peeps,

I think its about time i start getting my but into gear and start learning, before the consistent pressure gets the better of me and have a emotional break down.

So I pledge to myself that by the 1st of January 2007 I will be confident in driving stick. And if not I will gladly shout everyone a big feast at the next Cruise in 2007.

So peeps put it in your diary cause you may have a free feed. :lookedat:

Cheers

Damo

Old 09-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Howdy Peeps,

I think its about time i start getting my but into gear and start learning, before the consistent pressure gets the better of me and have a emotional break down.

So I pledge to myself that by the 1st of January 2007 I will be confident in driving stick. And if not I will gladly shout everyone a big feast at the next Cruise in 2007.

So peeps put it in your diary cause you may have a free feed. :lookedat:

Cheers

Damo
you DON'T drive manual! pussy! : :P

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So I pledge to myself that by the 1st of January 2007 I will be confident in driving stick.
Dude, that's like 1.5 months. You'd have to drive a ALOT to be confident with manual by the new yr.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Dude, that's like 1.5 months. You'd have to drive a ALOT to be confident with manual by the new yr.
Well thats the challenge isnt it..... I think it can be done if i at least do 2 hours a week learning. :
Old 09-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
dude lol i learnt to drive a manual in only 3 days.....1.5 months is heaps of time.!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
dude lol i learnt to drive a manual in only 3 days.....1.5 months is heaps of time.!
Unfortunatley I am not as special as some of you are.. :eclipsee_
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Well thats the challenge isnt it..... I think it can be done if i at least do 2 hours a week learning. :
damo all you need to do is of an afternoon do 1 hour! of driving.just up and down your street....and aftter like 2 weeks slowly venture out onto the main roads and all that.....once you get the hang of 1st ,2nd 3rd and 4th,5th will be **** easy......the only thing you will have to learn after that is daily driving in a manual...but that all comes with experience of the manual and you will get used to it......very simple...

Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

As people have said.

Just drive up and down a quiet road practicing your stops and starts. The only challenging thing about manual is getting the hang of moving off in first gear smoothly/getting a feel for the clutch and then the first to second gear change.

After that its all rosey

Good luck mate.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
91Laser
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
As people have said.

Just drive up and down a quiet road practicing your stops and starts. The only challenging thing about manual is getting the hang of moving off in first gear smoothly/getting a feel for the clutch and then the first to second gear change.

After that its all rosey

Good luck mate.
Hi,

As Mitch has said, but i like to add that you need to push the pedal down a little before you let the clutch come up. Ones you get the hang of driving off in first gear, it should be easy. Just keep balancing the pedal and clutch with every gear change, before the clutch comes up completely. You will know if you done it wrong _2:

Regards,

Rob
91Laser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good luck with it Damo. You'll master it easily and will love it.

IMHO you are learning the best way....you have the steering and braking thing down from pat from driving an auto, so you only have to concentrate on the gearshift!Much tougher for learner drivers to learn the lot at the same time
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Good luck with it Damo. You'll master it easily and will love it.

IMHO you are learning the best way....you have the steering and braking thing down from pat from driving an auto, so you only have to concentrate on the gearshift!Much tougher for learner drivers to learn the lot at the same time
agreed ... i learned manual after i had my Auto (reds) for a year... then got the greens and a manual car and learnt on that .......

Old 09-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Ive had three instances driving manual in 3 different cars.

- Toyota 4 Runner on the sand dunes - was lots of fun cause i never stopped and no one around to crash in to.

- Mazda Mx5 driver way - trying to reverse with a slight incline with garage in front. Paniced as car was rolling forward so had 2000rpm and dumped cluch. dad come out but couldnt see him with the smoke

- Fiesta - One perfect take off, then many stalls.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damo, you will learn it quickly, your not like my gf that doesn't listen to me when I try and teach her.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
91Laser
Starter Motor

Quote:
- Fiesta - One perfect take off, then many stalls.
You might be concentrating too much. Just relax and :eclipsee_ Just take your time.

Regards,

Rob
Old 09-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Laser
Just relax and Just take your time.
yer damo just relax and take your time BAHAHAHAHAHA : : : : : : py: :nutsycuck

Bahahhahaha lol.......ill go away now hehehe

Old 09-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Damo, you will learn it quickly, your not like my gf that doesn't listen to me when I try and teach her.
I knew she was a smart girl.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I just get a bit too nervous thinking im gonna blow up the car. My bro threw the keys to his polo gti and goes take it around the block. My mind was saying HELL YES, Heart was saying " HELL NO".
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #18
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Just go to a deserted football ground carpark (or similar) and practise the starts. Once you get that under control, practice using the gears to slow down (at certain revs) from speed. Doing it in an older (small) car is always good too.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just get a bit too nervous thinking im gonna blow up the car.
My last attempt driving a manual was on my cousin's bf's S15, I was so scared to crash his car to one of the parking lot poles He said that the hardest part is moving off from stationary... the rest should be easy.

How about reverse parking? I'd imagine it'd be hard.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
JD2004

Nothing is hard once you get the feel of the clutch and its grip point!! reverse parking is a dream in an auto but is not hard at all in a manual. Just take abit of time to learn these things and you will be right mate!! it really is nice to be able to use your gearing well!! once you have become alot more experienced in the manual take it through your favourite hill run that was fun in the auto!! becomes alot nicer in a manual... (unless you have a buggered left knee like mine).

Good luck with the learning, im teaching a friend of mine to drive a manual in my XR5 so dont stress

Luke
Old 09-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #21
Jess85

once you get the hang of taking off from being stopped its pretty easy. when i was learning i did a line locker (forgot to change gears, was used to auto LOL) and i also dumped the clutch..all the usual stuff ups you make when learning..i also somehow managed to make an old mitsubishi sigma go from being stopped to moving in 2nd gear without it stalling hahaha
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #22
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damo one you have mastered and your next car will be a manual, get the sticker on the back window saying WHEN THE CLUTCH DROPS....THE BULLSH!T STOPS

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Damo one you have mastered and your next car will be a manual, get the sticker on the back window saying WHEN THE CLUTCH DROPS....THE BULLSH!T STOPS
Next car will be Fiesta XR4, and that sticker sounds like a good idea but i dont wanna come across as a try hard. out:
Old 09-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #24
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Stop filling him with false hope. Driving a manual is one of the hardest things you'll ever do in your life. Ull be lucky to master it before your 30.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #25
melbzetec

The rest of your life must be pretty easy Piotr if manual is the hardest thing you'll ever do!!!!!lol

Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #26
91Laser
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Stop filling him with false hope. Driving a manual is one of the hardest things you'll ever do in your life. Ull be lucky to master it before your 30.

:yeees: Lucky i'm past 30 then.

Rob
Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #27
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Just practice as much as you can Damo, thats all you'll need to do.
I've been trying to teach my wife, but 13 years of driving autos has built up some bad habits :(

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #28
crispymk2

Manual is easy as... The Fez has a redline cut so all you need to do is hit the gas and drop the clutch simple!

Smoothness can come later, just light the tires everywhere ;)
Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #29
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispymk2
Manual is easy as... The Fez has a redline cut so all you need to do is hit the gas and drop the clutch simple!

Smoothness can come later, just light the tires everywhere ;)

LoL remind me never to buy a car which you owned
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #30
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
dude lol i learnt to drive a manual in only 3 days
and it shows, we've seen your clutch control......
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post