Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Default Please help me decide which car!

Ok, so at the moment im confused with what i want to get next. At the moment I drive a stock EL GLi with a factory 5 speed, but my dad is currently selling his EL faimont, and i really want to keep that because of the sedimental value attached to it. But the thing is, if i keep that, because the car means so much to me, i don't think i could bring myself to modify it. But my GLi needs alot of money thrown at it to get it to the condition my dad's fairmont is in (my car has lots of leaks). and the final alternative is to do what ive always wanted and buy the nicest NF/NL fairlane or DF/DL LTD out there and keep that for a while.

So basically theres 3 options:

1) Keep the GLi, throw alot of money at it, and at least know i have a factory manual, unlike all my friends who have auto VR/VS' and EF/EL's

2) Take my dad's immaculate fairmont and not be able to modify it

3) Buy a shmick NF/NL fairlane, lowered with exhaust and have what I've wanted for about 6 years

Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Option 2 or 3 IMO. If you go for your dads fairmont, just modify it if that's what you want. It's a 10 year old common as hell car, so it's not like you're really devaluing it or destroying a classic.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Option 2 or 3 IMO. If you go for your dads fairmont, just modify it if that's what you want. It's a 10 year old common as hell car, so it's not like you're really devaluing it or destroying a classic.
Agreed, and you dont have to go nuts on it, just get it lowered nicely with a set of 18 or 19 inch wheels, maybe extractors and exhaust, tint etc.
They're a nice car but there not a GT-HO.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Option 2 as you know its history and you will prob pick up a good car for cheap rather than the lucky dip buying a car from some one else.

Also you can do minor cosmetic mods to it, lower it, wheels, stereo etc etc and keep all the std parts to put it back to orig if needs be..............

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

go the monty for sure
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Option 2 and do some reasonable mods like lowering and throw in the manual box from you're Gli.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
XTAXI
Banned

hmm i believe option 1 or option 3. by the sound of option 2 you will really never be able to work the car hard, or fell like you own it for yourself, so you should keep the car you have, or go buy one that is truly yours.
XTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
NL Ghia

Option 3 definately... But maybe im a bit bias owning a NL myself
NL Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
andrewts
White Car Driver

Option 2 or 3.

I was gutted when my Dad traded his EL Ghia V8 in, I would have loved it, because it was in such good nick. Mind you I wouldn't have felt so bad about giving it a few herbs as it had the occasional (re, many times a week) stab up the road.

I'd probably go with option 3. If you can save for a little bit and get what you always wanted, it means one less stepping stone. If you got your dad's Fairmont, it would mean you'd have to save a bit more, the perfect car might disappear etc etc.

In short, Option 3 would be my choice.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
Gohan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the Monty for sure
Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Put the 5 speed manual into the Monty :
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post