Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Hill17
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus Faulty Fuel Pump

Has anyone come across a problem with a fuel pump on a Ford Focus. My Focus is only 3 years old (43k on the clock) and she broke down on me yesterday. I called the RACV who advised a fuel system problem and towed the car to Ford Service. They tell me the fuel pump has gone and will cost me $800 to replace. Surely, on a car of this age, this shouldn't happen?! (In fact, I don't know anyone with any car of any age who have had to have the fuel pump replaced!)
Any advice out there?
Many thanks,

Hill17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate. No havent heard of a problem like that at all....ive got a Ford Focus 2002 and just hit 98 thou and no such problems that you speak of.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
mudwaa

Check out aftermarket pumps from Hella or the likes. Wont cost anything like $800
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Hill17
Starter Motor

Latest on my fuel pump saga is that Ford have declined to do anything (i.e. no compensation or help with cost). They state that it's 'an age' issue. So, does that mean I'm going to be up for a new pump every three years?! My other car is over 20 years old and never had a pump replaced! Can anyone suggest some department at Ford I can get in touch with to push it further?
Old 19-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Hill17
Starter Motor

Determination pays off! Ford have just called me back with an offer for me to pay $200 and they will foot the remainder of the bill. Which, of course, I have accepted.
Thanks to everyone for their advice, etc.
Cheers.
Old 19-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear. Always get on their back. A fuel pump doesn't go every 3 years

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah this must be a rare ocurrence, none of us have seen a failure in our cars. Good to see Ford has stepped in to help, great news! Hope you're back on the road soon.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
BlackLS
yum

A lot may have to do with how the pump is treated. If the car is contantly running below 10 litres, it will severly reduce the life of the pump

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BlackLS I had the same problem years ago with a dunnydore. You have to keep the pump submerged in fuel, to keep it cool. I was told never to go below 3/4's of as tank. Done that with my Fairmont and Fiesta, no problems.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Sounds a bit strange havent ever heard any problems such as these.Could be so many things that affected the life of the pump or could have caused it to stop working.Obvioulsy Ford cannot say it is faulty or not,and its not worth the hassle find out if its a one off.
Its good te hear there going to help you,i wonder how much the pump itslef would cost for ford anyway 200$ maybe? .
Old 20-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be ready for any faults after warranty is my motto..

Expect the worst and be pleased when nothing really bad goes wrong...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
kcbworth

Bumping an old thread here, but i've had the same problem occur to my LS today... THREE DAYS before my warranty ran out (it never works like that, seriously!!)

Was driving along main road in peak hour, when i suddenly just lost power (for a while was worried I'd be on the morning news as the person holding up the traffic :@)

Nursed along for a while then some power kicked back in, but not for long, and I had to go down a side street and call RACQ. No luck from them, but I just so happened to be in same neighbourhood as a Ford service centre and managed to take back streets (almost) all the way there (lucky!). On the few main stretches I had to use the car just lost all power (basically whenever i needed to kick a bit more power in). Particularly happened up hills.

Anyway, managed to leave car for a look and it turns out I need a new fuel pump (which figures). I actually have been known to drive short distances on a low tank relatively frequently, so that could have something to do with it.

Will keep everyone posted...
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post