Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Getting motorbike licence

I have riden bikes before, dirt bikes mainly, so I am familiar with how to ride a bike, but am looking to buy one for weekend use only, not track use. It's got to look nice and have some poke on occasions.

As a first bike, I would love a Honda CBR250RR, but am not too familiar with the pro's and con's of this bike? What other makes & models could I consider as my first road bike?

And, I was thinking of getting my motorbike licence sometime in the near future, and was wondering, who here has there's and what kind of bike do they own?

Is there anything I need to consider when applying for my motorcycle learner permit?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Built2redline

the honda CBR250rr is probably the best learner bike but you will be counting down the days till the upgrade, as much fun as they are to rev the tits out of they do run out of puff very early.

ima regular at this forum, they will better elaborate on the CBR

CBR250.com

there are a lot of aussie members from all over the country, and you might even get someone helpfull enough to go check the bike out with you

im there as BLUcbrRR
Built2redline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built2redline
the honda CBR250rr is probably the best learner bike but you will be counting down the days till the upgrade, as much fun as they are to rev the tits out of they do run out of puff very early.

ima regular at this forum, they will better elaborate on the CBR

CBR250.com

there are a lot of aussie members from all over the country, and you might even get someone helpfull enough to go check the bike out with you

im there as BLUcbrRR
Thanks for that link, I'll check it out.

And I agree, I will need some help when the time comes. But I will say, that I'll only be keeping the bike till I go for the bigger cc licence, as I plan to save for a Harley or the like down the track. I know, thems evil words among the jap bikes, but as I mentioned, I only want to do some cruising. The Honda will be a stepping stone to getting where I want to be.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Built2redline

cool i started on a cbr250rr then upgraded to the sv1000

1000CC of thumping V twin goodness :P

definately have a look at that forum though as it has a huge amount of info on bikes (ie, not just the cibby) and ppl there are usually fighting over who can help you out with a problem 1st
Old 30-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built2redline
definately have a look at that forum though as it has a huge amount of info on bikes (ie, not just the cibby) and ppl there are usually fighting over who can help you out with a problem 1st
I am JEALOUS!!!!! SV1000 is top of my list at the moment (of realistic priced big twins, but Ducati is my ultimate!), just hanging out for the damn learner license to tick over....

Oh how I love a big V-twin...
Old 30-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Kawasaki ZZR250 is also a good first bike, more comfortable that the CBR, and don't forget to include some good quality protective clothing in the budget.
Another Suzi twin fan here, my TLR.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Yeah my sister has a ZZR suzuki, its an older version of yours Falcon coupe, but she loves it, and swears by them.

I definitely budget for the protective clothing. Is kevlar clothing more affordable these days or is there something else that is as good?

built2redline - thats an awesome looking bike. I envy you!!! :voldar02:

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 31-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

V twin 1000 cc is just a stepping stone from a 250 to a 4 cyl 1000 cc :

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

ZZR1100 or even zzr is a Kawasaki blue..
as for me, definately a Yamaha R1 fan!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r1.jpg (137.0 KB, 49 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love a V twin 1000 for my next bike as well. They sound so hot. Any big bike is fast enough IMO.

Ive got a CBR250 R at the moment, been riding for about a year and a half.

Its a good bike, I ride 450ish kms a week to work and back. Ive serviced it once in just over a year and its going strong, I even smashed it into the back of a moving car and it hasnt missed a beat :P

Im on the CBR250 forum as well. Its a good place to buy bikes. They seem to be overpriced elsewhere.

I got my CBR for $1000 needing a new engine. It was on the road for $2200.
Old 31-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #11
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bike I had on my L's was a Honda VT250F2 it was OK for a learner , because I had my open car licence I had the L's for 6 mths and then straight to the Open and I bought a Kawasaki GPZ750 had it for 3 days and it was stolen and then I bought a GSXR750K slingshot - AWSOME bike which I had for about 4 years then I bought a Kawasaki ZZR1100 kept it for about 5 years and sold it - damn I want another one.
Don't go straight to a 2 stroke 250 they are a cop magnet if you want a quick and reliable 250 get a Suzuki Across X916 they are a 250 4cyl and quite toey.
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great to hear of another Ford enthusiast joining the riding ranks!

The CBR250RR is very popular with the boy racers (hence they are pricey) - its probably the fastest of the 4 stroke 250's though has nothing on the 2 strokes.

I learnt on a Kawasaki ZZR250 which is a parallel twin and feels quite torquey down low compared to the CBR (inline 4) which feels like nothing is happening till revs hit over 10,000rpm. Pros for the CBR is really handling, braking and top end rush. Pros for the ZZR is low down torque (comparitvley speaking here), and fuel economy - around 500kms out of a tank of 91 oct (15Litres). They are both fully faired and look sporty enough. Also look at the ZX2R Ninja (another inline 4 like the CBR).

Thing to keep in mind is to budget at least a grand on good quality protective and wet weather gear. Also dont spend too much on a 250 as you will get bored of it and want to upgrade ASAP and will probably drop it.

If your ever in Sydney we should do a FF ride!

My bike:

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife had a ZZR250 as well, I think it cost us about$3000 and we spent about $600.00 on it replacing some worn bits and pieces, she got her licence on it and we sold it for $3500. Definately go second hand. I rode it a couple of times and it was a reasonable little machine for what it was, at least you have a bit of comfort if you want to do some longer trips. It always annoyed her that she couldnt keep up with my Ducati ST2 though. :hihi:
Regards,
Tote
Old 31-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

My 1st road bike was a ZXR 250 and I have to say it was a lot of fun to ride...geez did it rev!!! A really great bike to learn on the road I think but yes it was very expensive, I paid $6000 for mine, think I paid to much but I did'nt care at the time...My second bike was a Honda VTR SP1.....One of the best bikes Iv'e ever riden....it was only slightly slower than a mates R1 but sounded twice as nice!!
So yes I reckon a ZXR250 is the go...was very happy with the one I had.

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
Stampy

My first bike was a RD250 2 stroke fast for it's dayback in 83 but slow compared with todays standards , purchased it new for $1990 on the road .
Get a cheap one coz it won't be long and you will want more 600cc then 900cc + Im only small so a 600cc was always enough for me CBR600 was the last bike I owned back in 2002 .Now all I have are my 2 cars and a Jet Ski ,I miss going for a ride!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
gozza

get a yamaha TR250
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate i have a CBR250RR and ive raced a mates stock XR6t and we are about even.. ive seen guys at the strip riding them and they run 15.1 but i noticed they were bogging them off the line with a good launch e.g 10,000 (19,000 redline) good clutch slip control you should run in the 14s ive seen a ZX2R kwakas version of CBR run a 13.9 at eastern creek he can ride though takes off front wheel up...i get just over 200 kays to a tank 12 litres around town on a trip it would do 250kays or more but the CBR has 4 carbs twin cams 16 valves and loves to rev.... if you want a harley after the jap bike stay away from a CBR you can get cheaper more economical bikes that are more cruiser style like a harley for half the money. i love my bike i got it cheaper than most on the market $4000 it hasnt skipped a beat in 8 months ive owned mine and ive done 7000 kays.... good luck
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Kawasaki ZZR250 is also a good first bike, more comfortable that the CBR, and don't forget to include some good quality protective clothing in the budget.
Nice bike Falcon Coupe, i too started on a ZZR 250 - was a great bike to ride. The clothing is one thing - you need to WEAR IT!! i cringe every time i see a bike rider wearing shirt shorts and thongs... its just not on. Sure it's hot during summer, but well worth it if you ever happen to fall off - and its usually other DH drivers that cause it.

Good luck with the bike mate. Post up some pics when you get one.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #19
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

Im not quite in the roadbike brigade but have a road registered KTM450 EXC. But as there are plenty of forest tracks to ride around up here and its quick to get to them by road I am happy with my choice.

Only thing is knobby's dont like too much road use!

First bike I had was a XL250.

Agree with all the sentiments expressed re clothing. The more the better. I cant stand going riding without at least gloves, boots and jacket even if it is only 2k up the road, just that used to wearing gear that I feel uncomfortable without it.
Old 31-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #20
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
And, I was thinking of getting my motorbike licence sometime in the near future, and was wondering, who here has there's and what kind of bike do they own?

Is there anything I need to consider when applying for my motorcycle learner permit?
You shouldn't have any trouble passing a learner permit test with only dirt bike experience, even if they put you on a Virago : (this happened to myself).

I'm just waiting for my 2 more months to go for P's, then a further 12 months for the full licence...... might be able to afford a nice, powerful road bike by then!!!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #21
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cibby's are good, my best mate has his RR clicking 200+km/h...on a private road in controlled conditions of course
Old 01-02-2006, 12:31 AM   #22
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am also considering going for a bike licence in the near future. My uncle just bought one of these http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/GT250R.html

I am not a huge fan of 250's because they are smaller then the bigger bikes and when you are tall you feel kind of weird riding the bike! But I was supprised that the GT250R is the same size as its bigger 650cc brother, nice bike I recon!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #23
Built2redline

Quote:
nice bike mate, i was looking at the tillers but found them a bit heavy.. awesome looking bikes though
Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Cheers for the input guys, keep it coming.

My budget for my first bike will be in the vicinity of 3-4k as I will only have it as long as I have my P's. So it will need to be nicce and reliable and still look good. Im not too worried about clocking top speed like some of you are, but it still needs to have quick acceleration and power mid range.

So far the models of interest are:

Honda CBR250RR
Kawazaki ZZR??
Suzuki TLR??

Now I know these particular models may not be available in the price bracket I have stated above, but if I can get something similar in maybe an older model,i wont complain.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #25
HSE2

I have never had a bike licence but have nearly every other type. I am looking at buying a V rod. Is there any way of getting around the cc cap for learners? Is there a RPL clause anywhere?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #26
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Honda CBR250RR
Kawazaki ZZR??
Suzuki TLR??
Suzuki TLR is a 1000cc monster so I don't think this is of interest to you. :togo:

Most popular 250's to look at are: Kawasaki ZZR250 (sports-tourer), Kawasaki ZXR250 (sports), Honda CBR250RR (sports) and Honda VTR250 (naked).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #27
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Honda CBR250RR
Kawazaki ZZR??
Suzuki TLR??
Suzuki TLR is a 1000cc monster so I don't think this is of interest to you. :togo:

Most popular 250's to look at are: Kawasaki ZZR250 (sports-tourer), Kawasaki ZXR250 (sports), Honda CBR250RR (sports) and Honda VTR250 (naked).

Your price bracket is OK for those bikes if you look hard enough.

BTW - Don't worry about the top-speed or horsepower ect. of a 250 -it's just a stepping stone to better things.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Don't forget the Suzuki Across (GSX250 ), a good learner bike with helmet storage inside the fake tank.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #29
frenzal
EF XR6

its all about the

gsxr 1000 guys
frenzal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

It's all about the GSXR1000 and "Getting motorbike licence " do not belong in the same sentance.