Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Cuddle_bunny84

Default Strange windscreen enquiry

Hi guys,

Just looking to get your opinion on an issue that has arisen with my 2006 LX Ford Focus.

A few different passengers have passed comment on the windscreen looking strange and out of focus. I didn't understand what they meant until I was the passenger myself one day! It actually looks like it is 'bi-focal'! If you look out of the top of the windscreen and then look out of the bottom the view is distorted from one view to the other. You can't see it when you are in the drivers seat, only when you are in the passenger seat.

So I took it to my local dealer (or steeler as some of you may prefer) and they told me that the mechanic checked it out and it is most definitely distorted. However, it is the shape of the windscreen in the Focus as he checked four others and they are all the same.

So my question to you is, have you noticed this in your Focus and is this normal? Or are they just trying to get out of fixing it.

Note: There is no damage to the windscreen at all. The car has about 15,000km on it.

Thanks!!!

Cuddle_bunny84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Check it yourself with another folk-*** and see. Alternatively, ensure you have free windscreen replacement on your insurance and get a brick in a towel, and get a new windscreen.
Old 15-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Dunno, Ive seen this in a few new cars. Shape? Quality? Unsure, but I dont think its that uncommon...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I got a 06 Zetec and haven't noticed that problem...I'll have to sit in the passenger seat and check...

front passenger seat i'm presuming?
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
NO2
Old Man

My 2007 rear window is bi focal too. The top third flattens the cars noticably compared to the rest. It is even all the way across in the effect.
Anyone else have this problem. I may complain about it.but I don't trust em putting in a new one and not creating leaks.
It is one of those things that I haven't got worked up about, but I would if it was the windscreen.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Stop hauling free-loading passengers around. Problem solved.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Cuddle_bunny84

Tj-zetec do you work at a steeler? LOL that sounds like a response I would get from them!

Yeah it is the front passenger seat Velociraptor82. Interested to see what you come up with!
Old 15-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Stop hauling free-loading passengers around. Problem solved.
hahaha!!

i havent noticed this on my windscreen....however i have noticed a "ripple" effect when i look from inside very close to the screen. i have noticed this on a few other cars though.

anthony
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very common on Focus, my wifes 2008 Zetec has some nice ripples in it.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Just a theory, could it be a part of the laminating process when the screen is manufactured?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
Cuddle_bunny84

Ok, so my next question is:

Just because it is common does it make it right? Shouldn't they replace it under warranty?

That's like saying, "Brake shudder in BA Falcons are common so we won't fix it". I don't think so...
Old 17-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
BlackLS
yum

Is it bi-focal left to right or up to down. Perhaps its a safety feature, when the driver looks across to that side of the windscreen, they have more visibility "around" the pillar?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Cuddle_bunny84

It's up and down only on the passenger side...