Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default It's time to go......BA Fairmont

Well my 2004 ba fairmont with 18000k's on the clock is most like being traded very soon. I've owned it for about 8 months, picked it up at 6 months of age with 6000 on the clock. Taking the opportunity to trade it in for almost what I paid for it.

It's had a few dramas, which i've just had fixed by ford. Though there are still a few issues such as; noisy suspension, excessive fuel consumption and a few more.

So i'm going over to fords little cousin mazda. At the moment hunting around for the best deal on a Mazda 6 Sports Luxury. It's a little smaller, which is good because most of the time it's just me in the car. It's much lighter in weight and still big enough to carry the odd object. It also looks more youthfull & sporty than the fairmont, i'm only 23 but the fairmont makes me look 53.

Though i'm not leaving the ford camp, my AU is still with me and not leaving in a hurry. The AU is the best car i've ever owned and i love it to bits.

I've enjoyed the ba, though it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Not knocking the ba range, just the experience i had with mine.

Will post pics of the Mazda once I go ahead with a deal.

Cheers

Adrian

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
Well my 2004 ba fairmont with 18000k's on the clock is most like being traded very soon. I've owned it for about 8 months, picked it up at 6 months of age with 6000 on the clock. Taking the opportunity to trade it in for almost what I paid for it.

It's had a few dramas, which i've just had fixed by ford. Though there are still a few issues such as; noisy suspension, excessive fuel consumption and a few more.

So i'm going over to fords little cousin mazda. At the moment hunting around for the best deal on a Mazda 6 Sports Luxury. It's a little smaller, which is good because most of the time it's just me in the car. It's much lighter in weight and still big enough to carry the odd object. It also looks more youthfull & sporty than the fairmont, i'm only 23 but the fairmont makes me look 53.

Though i'm not leaving the ford camp, my AU is still with me and not leaving in a hurry. The AU is the best car i've ever owned and i love it to bits.

I've enjoyed the ba, though it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Not knocking the ba range, just the experience i had with mine.

Will post pics of the Mazda once I go ahead with a deal.

Cheers

Adrian

You sound very sad? (almost bordering on suicidal) The BA Fairmont, really THAT bad?
( And, hey forget the pics!.. seen one Mazda 6, seen em all... total waste of web space)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 AM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
You sound very sad? (almost bordering on suicidal) The BA Fairmont, really THAT bad?
( And, hey forget the pics!.. seen one Mazda 6, seen em all... total waste of web space)
That depends what he does with the 6, I have seen some that look great with only minor mods. Do post pics, especially if you do customise it. I could make the same comment about half the cars that have been posted on here (as others could say about mine) but I do not believe that is in the spirit of the forums. This place is for everyone to enjoy cars, can't see that comments like that help.

We have the mazda 3 SP23 (has the 6 donk in it). If the 6 is as good as ours you will love it, good motor, well specced and great build quality.

I have to be honest, for creature comforts, build quality, sales service and after sales service, Our mazda has been a more pleasurable experience. It is just lucky that the ford whips the mazda in driving fun.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Quote:
Charliewool I don't see anywhere that you are a moderator, If you live in a world where the XR6 Turbo is the only car on the planet then keep comments like that to yourself. The beauty of the forums is that no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to look at pics, don't like it move onto the next thread.

The BA Fairmont is my work vehicle, basically to sum it all up I bought the wrong car and it doesn't suit me.

GekoXR8, being my work vehicle I won't be modding it, just enjoying it. But than again most my cars have remained stock, I just tend to like them that way. Sounds like you've had a good experience with Mazda, we've go another Mazda and the experience with that has also been good. So i'm looking forward to it.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Old 05-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope you like your new car when you get it...
which Im sure you will.
Look forward to seeing some pics
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
We have the mazda 3 SP23 (has the 6 donk in it). If the 6 is as good as ours you will love it, good motor, well specced and great build quality.
The SP23 is a pretty sweet car. Had a chance to get a ride in one and even with a few people in the car they seem like they go pretty well.

Quote:
Go the AU !!!!!

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
That's not true Mr Charlie, you're being quite rude.

Adrian and I have discussed his choice and I told him imho it is a smart move. In a couple of years' time the BA will be even harder to sell than now because of rising fuel costs (and it chews through the fuel in comparison to his very very very very very nice AU - that thing is hot baby! Tsssss!). And he's just not all that impressed with the BA (and we all have a right to our opinions).

The Mazda 6 is a good car, well built, sexy and comfortable to drive. And the fuel economy is great, which is just what he needs.

Go Adrian, although you know you're gonna have to take me for a spin in the Mazda! : : :eclipsee_

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geckoxr8. I drive an AU series 111 VTC Fairmont Ghia and bought a Mazda SP23 five months ago for the one who must be obeyed. The Mazda is a great car with good chassis dynamics and is quicker up Tamborine Mountain where I live than the Falcon but like most smaller cars it's not as relaxing to drive on a long trip and doesn't have cruise.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Yes I agree. The Falcon has more road stability and does have cruise (which I miss in the Mazda), but it is a bigger car, it should be more stable. My car (the XR) cost 20,000 more and it does not have the other features of the mazda (6 air bags, 6 stacker, auto climate control etc). My point was not to say that one car is better than the other, they are different cars for different purposes and aimed at different markets, so that would be a stupid discussion. My point is the mazda is a fantastic vehicle and they have really got it together at the moment. My mazda buying experience so far has been 400% better than my last Ford. That is the fact as I see it based on my experience. My motivaton was not a comparison of cars, don't take it there, it was to address a thoughtless remark that I also think was very rude.

Au2falcons, what colour are you getting? We got velocity red and it is a beaut colour. The good thing about the 6 is you don't have to mod it, they are sporty enough standard, its all good.

It handles like a go kart, just wish the missus would let me put a big hair dryer on it!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I'm thinking Blue Pacific at this stage

Old 05-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I'm thinking Blue Pacific at this stage
I think that is a reasonably new colour because they didn't have it when we got ours but we have seen a few around now and this missus loves it, great colour, red is faster tho :
Old 05-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

haha, but blue i cooler...............damn that was tacky

Old 05-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
haha, but blue i cooler...............damn that was tacky
Don't need cooler, that is what the climate control is for! When it is not raining and it is clean I wil post a pic of the jellybean, mainly to spite a certain person, teehee.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #14
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
Don't need cooler, that is what the climate control is for! When it is not raining and it is clean I wil post a pic of the jellybean, mainly to spite a certain person, teehee.

Mr. gecko... My apologies if my smartas*e comments at 3am this morning were offensive! (maybe a little too "tired & emotional" after a certain daughter's 17th B/day bash went awry, which I KNOW is NO excuse for rudeness.. (read Bindi))
For what it's worth, my other 1/2 used to drive the XR6T and downright loathed it, hence why I now have it... She now has a Mazda 3 which she reckons is the greatest thing since sliced bread. (and NO, I'm NOT posting pics! ) :togo:
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Mr. gecko... My apologies if my smartas*e comments at 3am this morning were offensive! (maybe a little too "tired & emotional" after a certain daughter's 17th B/day bash went awry, which I KNOW is NO excuse for rudeness.. (read Bindi))
For what it's worth, my other 1/2 used to drive the XR6T and downright loathed it, hence why I now have it... She now has a Mazda 3 which she reckons is the greatest thing since sliced bread. (and NO, I'm NOT posting pics! ) :togo:
No probs at all, just have to realise such comments will cop a bagging when you are dealing with such a sarcastic mob such as AFF (well some anyway). Could have worded the comment better but it is all over now so it doesn't matter.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #16
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I had a mazda 6 luxury sports for a couple of weeks when they first came out. They were AWSOME. I would consider them a larger car and they had heaps of power and GO. With the new 6 speed i think they would be better.

My only gripe was i could not change gears properly cause the peddles werevery close together, it was impossoble for me to be able to use the clutch properly because of my BIG feet. On numerous occasions i would hit the brakes when i wanted gas.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #17
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Hmmm maybe we should have a kerfew of midnight for forums posting

GekoXR8, yes feel free to post a pic or 3, they are extremely roomy for a car of their size.

Thunder I won't have the problem with the feet as i'm getting the 5speed auto, so there's once less pedal.

Old 13-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #18
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Well the Mazda 6 has been ordered, Luxury Sports model, with 5spd auto, leather trim and bose audio, and in Blue Pacific.

Should be delivered late this week or early next. Not long to go now

Old 13-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Very nice.

I'd love a Maz 3 as a daily driver to be honest.. great little cars

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Yeah i was considering an sp23 but because of the price of the 6 i was able to negotiate a better trade in deal. I picked up the fairmont at 6 months of age for a bargain price. Now at 14 months i managed to trade it in at the same price!!!! But the dealer offered 4k more for trade in than any other dealer i tried. Then on top took 3k of the margains, after negotiations that was increased to 5k, so a total of 9k more than other dealers would budge on the price. I had to snap it up, being a company vehicle i would have to trade in 2yrs time, no way i'd get a deal like that then.

Old 13-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #21
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Woohoo, my spin is closer then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #22
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thread moved out of the bar and into pub..........
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #23
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Would like to see some pics too, there seems to be a few of these Mazdas around now, me thinks i must find out why
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are a good car for the right purpose, if you do alot of country kms like i do they are no good, I went the opposite direction with company vehicle. we had an SP20 from new which was our work car and I hated it so much i ended up trading it on a BAII XLS.. Too small and no power, but each to their own, Fuel doesnt bother me as our business pays for it, power and comfot however do bother me with the kays I do. Providing your happy thats all that matters! Goodluck with it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #25
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Yes true, It will suit me as I don't do many k's and the furthest run I do is to wollongong (not even for work). Being slightly smaller will help as ocassionally I have to run into the city. And as for fuel, well the company does pay for it, but I own the company and this way the money saved fuel wise will be put to other uses. I have my AU aswell so I can still satify the need for a burl in a 4L whenever I want