Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default gutters vs lowered cars, pics within

well........ the other day i reversed off my driveway... and off the gutter... broke a clip (but fixed it a day later) ... then yesterday i went to epping maccas... and went to park .. heard scrape sound then i reversed and it ripped my %#$WFG front bumper right off.. yes... it was laying right in front of my eyes i was like ... did that really happen!!!

all bumper mounts ripped off....

i think it's time for a new bumer bar.... can't drive far damn risky "OMGZ bro it turns a lotta heads" sik haha
i have pics for proof!!

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ah man that sucks. Im not really to sure how you can over come that? Perhaps some rubber bits somewhere to take some of the shock?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

yeah i know, i work there. the car park is crap. yeah u should get a new bumper

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah i dunno... i'm gonna buy a new bumper bar next week hopefully one that is the right colour... i was laughing cause i couldn't believe what had just happend... i'm not ****ed off i don't care anymore. the money all goes to petrol :P
Old 21-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

what did it get caught on exactly. If there were bolts coming out of those concrete blocks you can take it to management and they'll pay for it
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah i dunno the only thing i can think of is that there was a gap and it just hooked onto it. I don't care anyway, was half my fault as i went off on the wrong angle out of my drive way and almost ripped it off, but i did fix it a day later ;)

second time not lucky, all mounts are ripped from the bumper .
Old 21-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

that sucks... and u dont even have an intercooler to show off! i think that a new bumper is the way to go...

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Kryton

id be sending Maccas the bill for the repairs if it happened in their car park.
its worth a shot.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
yeah i dunno the only thing i can think of is that there was a gap and it just hooked onto it. I don't care anyway, was half my fault as i went off on the wrong angle out of my drive way and almost ripped it off, but i did fix it a day later ;)
second time not lucky, all mounts are ripped from the bumper .
Not good news champ, but you do get better at driving parking lower cars with time, not the first or last time i have seen this happen, heads up if you hear your spoiler scrape when parking, never throw it in reverse ( as you have found out ) as 9/10 times it 1. wedges on to top of the concrete stop or 2. a lip falls over and grabs.

when if it happens it is best to check and if ok back of, and if not get 2 bodies 1 each side to lift the front while backing off,

when wedged or caught as soon as you hit reverse it is natural for the spoiler to grip and will do exactly what has happened.

I seen a brand new camry wedge it self not long ago, tried to tell the owner not to reverse and that i would help lift the car, he politley told me i was a tozzer and he would be right.

Hmmm after he ripped the full front off, i just smiled and walked away.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Rollin
Banned

I tore off my bumper a while back - was driving into a park and wasnt sure if the bar would clear the concrete block at the end, so I got my passenger to get out and have a look - cleared it by like 5mm.

went shopping, came back, hopped in the car and started to reverse out. Of course, the passenger was sitting in the car now instead of watching the front bar, which made the car a little lower than when i drove in...it hooked up on the way back...bugger :S didn't think of that!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Wow, tore that sucker clean off!

Living with lowered cars kinda like living with women. Just accept whatever happens

With some falcons... for example, an EF... you see people in stockers catching the things on car park bump stops, gutters, driveways etc.

What chance does a lowered one have lol.
Old 21-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
5L
[ 5L ]

i tore my front bumper off late last year, if you peel back the strip in the grey part of the bumper there are screws there, you just use bigger screws than what was in there before and it should work.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

well i think i'm gonna leave it in the backyard and buy my step mums EA wagon to drive around whilst i get the ED fixed... at the moment i'm just driving the ED in to the ground unfortunently :(.

i could buy a new bar instead of buying an EA wagon... but... i have way more other stuff that needs fixing on the ED.... you name it i'll definately have a problem with...

power steering
brake booster & master cylinder
brake pads
wheel alignment
all bushes dried and cracked
uni joints are nackered
front bumper
thermastate

the list goes on.... but yeah i think it needs a rest, all this has happend since winton... oh well
Old 21-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
EFFANATIC
Banned

Sorry to hear that mate as it looked so nice too. I think when **** happens just improve it !
EFFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
Kil4Collingwood

My girlfriend tore the front bumper off her VL at Epping maccas too lol!
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC

I seen a brand new camry wedge it self not long ago, tried to tell the owner not to reverse and that i would help lift the car, he politley told me i was a tozzer and he would be right.

Hmmm after he ripped the full front off, i just smiled and walked away.
Ahhahahaha, awsome...

And yeah, having a low car and parking etc is a pain in the ***... you'll just have to learn to avoid parking at some places and being extra cautious with those damn cement parking blocks or whatever they are.
Old 21-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

After awhile you get good at parking with a lowered car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

ouch......

i dont park fully into parks for that reason......damn mate
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
yeah i know, i work there. the car park is crap. yeah u should get a new bumper
haha i've been waiting for this opportunity... every time i go to epping maccas they screw up my order.. twice they even forgot.. was sitting in the waiting bay and came back in , 'oh sorry what did you want again' ?! haha. The front counter staff always screw up our orders.. what's the DEAL!!

back on topic, yeah i scraped a wheel on the BF at the end car park on the epping plaza side. The far left one, it has a raised pavement immediately to the left, and you sometimes forget it's there when you back out.... screeeeeeeeech. Just don't park fully into the spot, or creeep veryyyy slowly, and if you hear a scrape, stop straight away, and reverse back a couple of cm.
Old 21-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #20
EDXR6T

My bro JJM riped my XR front lip off at hallum hungry jacks:P

I Wanted to go drive thru but no he wanted to park it. Happen to slide over the concret slap didnt even hear it scrape over. bk in car in to revers and this old ladie was yelling out you droped somthing lol
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #21
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
ouch......

i dont park fully into parks for that reason......damn mate
Same here.. And it is only going to get worse for my when I get my Kit..
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #22
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

ive torn my front off twice

and my back off three times, with the last time crackng it right in the middle..

all in the comfort of my own driveway.. the pleasure of cars with fibreglass body kits and lowering....

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #23
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Ouch that sucks!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #24
falcon351
HANK

my dad ripped his VX clubsport front end off and then when they fixed it they forgot sum of the fixings but charged him for them. so he took it back (as u do) and inconvenienced another work day), and the holden guy wanted to charge him again, the total of about 63 cents for 3 bolt dealies or woteva the **** they were. bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaa i love my car with its monster truck ride height cos i can take shortcuts across reserves and traffic islands!!!!! bahahahahahahahaha
falcon351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #25
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spent a day or two re glassing and resining my GT bar fixing cracks etc... only to catch it on a kurb at bloody marion shopping centre a few weeks later, and all of my good work went straight down the drain in a second. luckilly it just cracked again and i didint loose it.
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #26
sven

ahh bad luck there. my bro has done it on his 4X4 spec EA wagon (2 days after i did it on mine)!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
what did it get caught on exactly. If there were bolts coming out of those concrete blocks you can take it to management and they'll pay for it
good luck with that i've worked at shopping centres in maintenance and other area's and they just push you away. unless you can prove (with video evidence) thats where it happened you get NOTHING.. i "didnt" see a woman rip a whole in her exhaust on a brand new BA XR6 on a speedbump and she couldn't prove it wasn't like that so she got nothing.

goodluck with it mate.
Steve
Old 22-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #27
tickford_ghia
EL Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
id be sending Maccas the bill for the repairs if it happened in their car park.
its worth a shot.
Dont think u will get very far with the mate. Im pretty sure maccas would messure there little concrete things and if they are higher than the legal height for a car (which im pretty sure they would be) then you'd end up with egg on your face. No point trying, just get a new bar, simple as that.
tickford_ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #28
Rollin
Banned

I reckon most of the concrete blocks in most shopping centers are over 10cm high...Im going to measure them if I ever think to :P

My car is over 10cm the whole way through, the front bar is actually quite high IMHO, and it still caught :S

Would rather scrape the guts of the car on speed bumps than drive a stocker though
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #29
tickford_ghia
EL Fairmont Ghia

there is a reason for them being the height they are. It would be a safety concern. At the end of that you park your car at your own risk and if you inflict damage on your car by reversing and getting caught its your own fault. Dont think im being harsh this has happened to me before and believe me i was fuming but the best thing you can do is just bite the dust and get over it.
tickford_ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #30
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford_ghia
believe me i was fuming but the best thing you can do is just bite the dust and get over it.
I was laughing... i don't no why... but i still laugh when i think 'bout it.

if anyone ever wants airflow to your 'cooler's .... or in general... come see me, my business is open 24/7. My house gutter is perfect for my application, and won't disappoint.