Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Another Demerit Points Thread

This relates to NSW

If you accumulate 12 -15 points your license is suspended for 3 months.....However you can apply to the RTA for a 12 month "good behaviour period" instead of serving the suspension....Should you accumulate 2 or more points during the good behaviour period you will face a license suspension of twice the original suspension time.

Question is....Once the 12 month good behaviour period is completed AND you don't incur 2 or more points, are all previously incurred points wiped ?

2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.policensw.com/info/traffi...ritscheme.html

I thought it takes 2 years for points to be "wiped" not one? iirc in Victoria it is two years. Assume its the same Australia wide.

Tried to help

<<edit>> http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...+points+return

Maybe three?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
3vXT

Yeah think its 3 years normaly. Not sure about in the example mentioned though.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

yeh mate you start all over again, so fresh points after a year, well in qld anyway my cousin did it, got caught the day after his year ended doing 12 over which was 3 points, soooooo lucky.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Question is....Once the 12 month good behaviour period is completed AND you don't incur 2 or more points, are all previously incurred points wiped ?
That would be correct as thats what my brother did as he needed to get to work after 12 months he had 12 points again. Better option than loosing his lic. for 3 months and risking driving to work unlicensed as he had no other way to get to work. It is not too hard if you do a lot of k's to loose a few points over a 3 year period.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
v8capri8

this doesnt concern me at all but i'm gonna ask it anyways does the same rule apply to p platers that lose there lisence? can they also apply for this good behaviour period ?

REAL MEN DONT WEAR BOWTIES OR DRIVE IMPORTS
v8capri8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8capri8
this doesnt concern me at all but i'm gonna ask it anyways does the same rule apply to p platers that lose there lisence? can they also apply for this good behaviour period ?

Apparently not

Here's the section from RTA's website

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...demeritpoints/
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 22-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

On the cards, use of front fog lamps in clear weather to incur a 'minimum' 1 demerit point penalty. (Potential 2 or 3 but not as part of double demerit rubbish).

Still, at a mere $75 per fog light offence, NSW in this regard is the cheapest state, well nearly.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I found out the other day when doing my green slip that the points are against you for 3 years and 4 months in NSW now.
Mine should of cleared on the 27 Dec 2008 but I have to wait until the 27th April 2009.
What a crock. They dont publicise that too well!
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
v8capri8

thanks for that that is handy to know

REAL MEN DONT WEAR BOWTIES OR DRIVE IMPORTS
v8capri8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Yes Mr EL, one is able to gain 12 points in three, therafter action takes place.

Been this way for many, many years now ere in glorious NSW.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Yes Mr EL, one is able to gain 12 points in three, therafter action takes place.

Been this way for many, many years now ere in glorious NSW.

Nah I always knew the demerit points were recorded against you for 3 years. Just didnt know that they have extended it out to 3 years and 4 months now.
Apparantly only a recnet thing with their reforms.
Old 22-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
Nah I always knew the demerit points were recorded against you for 3 years. Just didnt know that they have extended it out to 3 years and 4 months now.
Apparantly only a recnet thing with their reforms.
Well I thought they were gonna make it more lenient, not harder

Old 23-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 years (not 3years 4 months) according to NSW Police Site
http://www.policensw.com/info/traffi...ritscheme.html

NSWRTA agrees with the police
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nts/index.html
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
damir05
turbomaniac

i think its 3 years in wa, also does anyone knoe where to check how many points you got left on license?
damir05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

If you are in NSW go to: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/myrta/myrecords/index.html

Click the link at the bottom.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

There was something on the news tonight (Sydney Ch7) about new points scheme for NSW drivers, not sure what it was about (missed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO132
Yes you get all points back if you have been a good boy for the 12 months (have done this a few times now)
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Bit of a grey area hey. They say that your points or against you for 3 years but in the fourth paragraph under the heading "Demerits points and licence Suspensions" the following

For this reason, demerit points up to 40 months old are displayed on the RTA’s online demerit point enquiry screen, because these offences have the potential to count towards a demerit point licence suspension.

So 40 months is 3 years and four months. Very smoke and mirrors hey? Seems like a certain insurance company uses this info to screw more premium out of you.............................surprise surprise.
Old 23-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Nsw have revised the points system to make it more fair 15k and under only attracts 1 point now instead of 3 : as of today.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #20
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

In today's paper there was talk about lowering demerit points for low range speeding ( 15km and under) bout time I say, back to how it used to be a couple of years ago,
I only ever get these low end fines, and am at 10 demerits now, thanks to copping a 10km over fine on a double demerit weekend.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
Nsw have revised the points system to make it more fair 15k and under only attracts 1 point now instead of 3 : as of today.

Are you serious?....I got a fine in the mail last week...school zone speed camera 15km/hr and under at 2.45pm two Friday arvos ago - $135 fine and 4 points...wasn't thinking, no red flashing signs and always make sure I'm doing under 60 (the usual limit) when passing this camera (I was doing 53) . This will put me up to 13 points so I'll lose my license for 3 months

The other 9 points were 2 under 15 km/hr speeding fines within a month of eachother in October 2007 on the same stretch of road on which they recently dropped speed limit from a 70 to a 50 zone and I didn't realise it...Booked with a portable hairdryer , one of those over a double demerit weekend ...so this news couldn't have come at a better time for me

Last edited by GT0132; 23-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 23-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
I was sure I read that they were thinking about it, not that it had been done already?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html

MOTORISTS are being stripped of their licences at a record 629 a day as more people fall prey to the state's draconian traffic laws.

Demerit points were a major reason behind the 229,710 lost licences in 2008, as growing numbers of speeding drivers were caught by fixed cameras, especially in school zones.

An astonishing 60,919 motorists last year lost the right to drive after running out of demerit points, documents released under Freedom of Information show.

Read: How losing demerit points could cost one Sydney driver her job

This was a 50 per cent jump on the 2007 figure of 40,437 and almost double the number (33,778) just two years ago.

It was a massive increase since 2003, when lost demerit points accounted for only 16,805 drivers forced off the road.

As well as school zones, where speeding carries a minimum four-point penalty, one more than usual, double demerit periods enforced around public holidays also took their toll.

As the NRMA demanded a fairer deal for motorists, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Roads Minister Michael Daley is dithering on a promise made last year to reduce demerit points on low-range speeding offences.

More than 80 per cent of drivers detected speeding were in the low-range category, exceeding the limit by less than 15km/h.

Mr Daley told The Telegraph on November 14 last year that the three demerit points would be reduced to one.

"I'll be coming back with a comprehensive proposal to make motoring fairer for people in NSW," Mr Daley said.

But a spokesman for Mr Daley on Friday - four months later - would not say when the promise would be implemented.

"It's continuing but nothing has happened yet," he said.

Today, apparently spurred on by publication of this story, Mr Daley said the government will make an announcement "within days" about reducing demerit points for minor speeding offences. Read his words here.

NRMA president Wendy Machin said the Government needed to implement a fairer system.

The organisation last year surveyed 560 businesses in NSW and the ACT and found 23 per cent had put drivers off the road after they lost licences through demerits.

The NRMA wants the number of demerit points for offences less than 15 km/h over the limit to be reduced, demerit points to be returned to drivers when the fine is waived by a magistrate, and rewards for motorists with excellent driving records.

Ms Machin said visible policing - not fixed speed cameras - was the most effective way to slow motorists down.

Another contributor to the number of licences suspended and cancelled last year was aggressive action by the State Debt Recovery Officeagainst fine defaulters.

Fine defaulters accounted for 106,596 drivers being put off the road, the FOI documents showed.

Criminal defence lawyer Dennis Moralis, of Nyman Gibson Stewart, said last night the increasing number of fixed speed cameras were behind the lost demerit points. "A lot of it is due to holiday blitzes," Mr Moralis said.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i know i want it to go back to the way it was ,but they are going to create their own very black area.
fine line between fair and safe ,jobs lost ,lives saved ,taxes on fuel used and other moneys raised /acquired by these cameras .

really gets you thinking about their real needs/intentions eh ?

on a side note i have always wondered how many lost their license a year but , you just blew what i thought way out ,crikey
Old 23-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Yes you get all points back if you have been a good boy for the 12 months (have done this a few times now)

They are called DE-MERIT points because you get them for traffic infringements etc...

i.e you GAIN them for speeding etc and LOSE them for not speeding etc... If you got caught speeding and lost points for it then the points would be called MERIT points which they are not.

I'm sick of people saying "i got caught speeding and lost # points". You didn't lose points idiot, you gained them. Is it that hard to work out???

EDIT: Explorer, not picking on you mate. If it seems like that i'm sorry, just bugs me that's all.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
FFS.

They are called DE-MERIT points because you get them for traffic infringements etc...

i.e you GAIN them for speeding etc and LOSE them for not speeding etc... If you got caught speeding and lost points for it then the points would be called MERIT points which they are not.

I'm sick of people saying "i got caught speeding and lost # points". You didn't lose points idiot, you gained them. Is it that hard to work out???

EDIT: Explorer, not picking on you mate. If it seems like that i'm sorry, just bugs me that's all.

But if you open your hears and listen to any RTA, NSW Police add on TV or the radio, they say you LOSE points, thats were the confusion lies.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #26
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I'm currently on a good behaviour license and as far as i am aware after my 12 month period is up i am on full points again.

Should have just taken the 3 month suspension....
Old 23-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #27
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

Quote:
FFS.

Ha Ha Ha, so true...
I have seen a number of people bring up this point during talks about demerit points and its very true.

On the note of you loosing all the points you had after the Good Behavior period I would have a chat to the police or RTA about it. As here in Vic they don't all disappear at the end. I just finished my "Golden Point" [we only get 1 point in vic] period and if i gain 2 points ill lose my license again.

To explain that, i first lost it for 5 or more points in 1 year. To cut the story short I now have 10 demerit points sitting there for 3 years, so if i gain another 2 in the next 2 years I'll be done for 12 or more points in a 3 year period. [All points where received before the Golden Point period].

So check with the RTA or NSW Police to be safe.
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #28
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
FFS.

That's Ok buddy, always thought you started of with 12 points and lost them as you get infringments, when you ring the RTA they tell you how many points that you have left not what you have lost, which would mean you loose them not gain them, this was the way it was years ago, may have change.
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #29
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As far as i know they are still considering it, BUT it really means more REVENUE for NSW.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #30
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
As far as i know they are still considering it, BUT it really means more REVENUE for NSW.

Yeah I can't find anywhere where it says the points on a low range speeding fine have been reduced from three to one.....I know they are looking at it and will have a solution shortly...but can't see where it is set in stone,

A thread in the XRTforums says the points for minor speeding have been reduced BY one not TO one., which if true means I'm still up the creek.