Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default BA Fairmont wheel centres..do they fall out

I have 16" standard fairmont MkII mag type wheels on my vehicle, I came out of a house I was visiting to find my rear wheel centre had gone

the centre has the Ford in a blue oval, I bought a new one from Ford at $22.00

after refitting the new one I took note of how hard it is to actually get it back i n there which poses the question

did it fall out or was it stolen?.......if it fell out how common is this?.......the things seem to sit pretty tight

thoughts?.....the offsider reckons someone flogged it, I'm not so sure

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
b2428

Default Re: BA Fairmont wheel centres..do they fall out

I would honestly say it has probably fallen out. I had one go missing between home and Sydney. If you have ever seen the way the tyre people wack them out and back in when doing balances its no wonder they become loose.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2428 View Post
I would honestly say it has probably fallen out. I had one go missing between home and Sydney. If you have ever seen the way the tyre people wack them out and back in when doing balances its no wonder they become loose.
......because most of the time they're stuck in quite well, so need a decent push to dislodge and fall out before we can balance a wheel.
Old 21-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd agree with that, I couldn't find any scrape marks around the centre hole and without taking the wheel off I doubt anyone could get them out without scratching the surface

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 21-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
b2428

Mine could have been a direct result of the amount of times the monts rims spent getting balanced. Seemed every week or 2 I was getting them done trying to chase a vibration that I eventually gave up on and learnt to live with haha

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the car start pulling to the left recently, had a wheel alignment done and found the left front tyre simply would not go straight

something to do with the steel belts within the manufacturing process of the tyre misaligned.....new tyre fixed him plus an alignment just to be sure

all good now

Old 21-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I have 16" standard fairmont MkII mag type wheels on my vehicle, I came out of a house I was visiting to find my rear wheel centre had gone

the centre has the Ford in a blue oval, I bought a new one from Ford at $22.00

after refitting the new one I took note of how hard it is to actually get it back i n there which poses the question

did it fall out or was it stolen?.......if it fell out how common is this?.......the things seem to sit pretty tight

thoughts?.....the offsider reckons someone flogged it, I'm not so sure
The problem is, the plastic clips that hold this centre in place get brittle with age....and they're "wafer thin" and there are only 4 or 6 (can't remember the exact number)....So over time these clips break due to the brittleness of them and they end up falling out.

So common....As common as night turns to day...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

Mine fell out once while I had the stock Fairmont wheels on. They just get loose with age, I feel like that's the same across all mag wheels.

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Happened with my au poppa, a little lick of silastic between the cap & mag wheel, wipe off excess completely & let the silastic cure for 20 min then you're good to go, a tyre fitter will have no problem removing the cap if the wheel needs a balance.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Happened with my au poppa, a little lick of silastic between the cap & mag wheel, wipe off excess completely & let the silastic cure for 20 min then you're good to go, a tyre fitter will have no problem removing the cap if the wheel needs a balance.

cheers, Maka
thanks for that.... sounds like the go.....I reckon I'll look for loose ones and put a squirt in there!

Old 23-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The centre caps on my Territory Turbo took it upon themselves to fall out, at various times, without ever being previously removed. Came upon one that had fallen out overnight and when I spoke to Fraud (vehicle was still under warranty) they insisted that I had removed the cap before, therefore damaging the plastic tags and causing them to fail. It was comical to hear their explaination so it was simply easier, as previously suggested, to use a dab of silicone on all the caps to prevent them disappearing
I actually managed to track down a set of AU Ghia centre caps and silicone them in, saving the standard Ford ones for our BF wagon, which has managed to lose a couple over the years.
So, in short, the little buggers just like falling off!
Cobramad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! I found another one that is a little on the loose side, put some goodligump on him and his mates and hope that stops the fallout.......

I also told them all that their performance was not up to par and to lift their game.....hopefully that will be the end of it

funnily enough I asked the service manager here about the problem and of course got the standard answer which covers everything from rattly callipers to centre bush destruction!

"nah! mate, never heard of it before"......."never had to do 'em!"

Old 30-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my au xr6 has a similar caps on the wheels to ba`s , i found if your careful tapping them out and don`t let the tyre guys do it they last a hell of a lot longer.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post