Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
goXF
Now AU powered

Default Hidden costs with new cars?

Hello all,

I am looking at my different options for the near future in regards to getting another car. I just have a few questions in relation to prices on new cars - I have never bought new...

Now please tell me if I am correct in saying that when a price is given like "$15990 driveaway" - this includes the car price, dealer delivery, taxes and rego??? Basically everything to get you on the road?

Also (most often the case) when they advertise something like "$15,990" + dealer delivery and on road costs - what are the extra costs..???.

For example:

you have $15990 to start off with.
then you add dealer delivery (how much is this normally?)
then registration including compulsary third party
then government taxes???

then of course you might have extra insurance but i am mainly interested in the charges at the dealer end of things.

Can someone pls give me an idea and explain the different extra charges to expect?

Basically I am trying to work out if getting a cheap new car is feasable for me - or if after the extra on road and dealer charges have been added i'd be over budget?

(I know this is a pretty basic quesion but I have never bought new before)

Thanks in advance.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

The extra costs are dealer delivery, rego (plus third party) and government taxes. Depending on the car, you can usually bargain and get these fees absorbed by the dealer. I didn't pay any of those for my Focus. And to be honest, I dont think anyone in my family has ever paid any of those on road costs.

Dealer delivery can be between 1000-2000 bucks
Government taxes are about 1000 or just under
Rego is about 500-800? depending on the car.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
peedee

Dont forget stamp duty on rego transfer and charges for number plates
number plates basic NSW $35.00
stamp duty on transfer into your name from dealer $24.00 + $3.00 for every $100.00 or part there of e.g $50000.00 car stamp duty $4000.00 + number plate issue fee $35.00 = $4035.00
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i say dont buy new. If your planning on bying a falcon or something simular, just get it from an auction. They loose so much value as soon as its driven away from the dealer.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
TZAKHAMMER
TZAKHAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
i say dont buy new. If your planning on bying a falcon or something simular, just get it from an auction. They loose so much value as soon as its driven away from the dealer.

true true, unless its a corporate affair, demo or auction will save you $$$$ that will pass surpass the added extras

think of it this way, Fords are made to last 100'000kms', whats 5-25k'kms going to matter overall.
Old 13-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

One main reason for buying new is you get to choose the options you want on the vehicle ... and you know it hasn't been thrashed as well. A lot of people prefer this.

I bought my Territory new ... because at the time ... there were hanrdly any on the used car market (end of 2004) ... if any at all. And I had the choice of options from factory/dealer, etc.

My work ute ... I bought 2nd hand ... as it worked out cheaper for me that way instead of buying brand new.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

It is my understanding (or lack of) that dealer delivery IS for the cost of them getting the vehicle in to the dealership + pre-sale check.

A guy I work with swears its charged cos they "deliver it to your house or work" and you don't have to pay it if you pick it up. Now, he can't be swayed into my way of thinking so I guess this might be a good time to ask. He's wrong huh?
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
One main reason for buying new is you get to choose the options you want on the vehicle ... and you know it hasn't been thrashed as well. A lot of people prefer this.
I still wouldn't pay an extra 23 grand for a brand new car which is essentially the same. I got my BAI for 17K at the auctions. Back then a brand new BAII would have cost over 40K. Sure there's reverse parking sensors and the gurantee that its never been thrashed but still... 23K?
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Hally

304, the guy who started this thread is talking about a small car. Whilst I agree with you about falcons/commdores etc losing big amounts of value initially (I would only buy one second hand) the small cars are different.

In late 2002, I bought a Mazda 323 brand new for $20k driveaway. Just over 4 years later I can get anywhere between 12k - 14k for it depending on type of sale. A Falcon of the same build year and same km's would only fetch between 16-18k. The point I am trying to make is that little cars hold there value suprisingly well, so when it comes to driveaway pricing on these things it can certainly be worth spending an extra 5k to get a brand newie.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
gu4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee
Dont forget stamp duty on rego transfer and charges for number plates
number plates basic NSW $35.00
stamp duty on transfer into your name from dealer $24.00 + $3.00 for every $100.00 or part there of e.g $50000.00 car stamp duty $4000.00 + number plate issue fee $35.00 = $4035.00

That does not make any sense! Your theory is (almost) correct, but your maths is way out!

$3 for every $100 is 3%. 3% on $50,000 = $1,500. In any event, NSW is actually 3% to $45K, then 5% thereafter - so $50K in NSW is $1,600. No where near the $4K you quote.

$4K all up, including dealer delivery, stamp duty and rego.

Anyway, poster is in Vic, and Vic is:

Dealer Delivery Fee - $1K - $2K

Number Plate fee : $ 27.20
Transport Accident Commission Insurance
High risk area : $ 381.70
Medium risk area : $ 341.00
Low risk area : $ 297.00

Stamp Duty : $ 40.00 Flat fee up to $ 1,000.00 of purchase price thereafter

$ 0.00 to $ 35,000.00 - 2.5%
$ 35,001.00 to $ 45,000.00 - 4.0%
above $ 45,001.00 - 5.0%

And for the poster, driveaway is driveaway - nothing more added. Unless you option tint, wheels, etc. Most dealers quote driveaway now days.

Dan
gu4800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
mowog
Discovery 4

The other cost to avoid in new cars is the Ming Mole...

Just simle and say No Thanks...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
goXF
Now AU powered

thanks everyone for your replies

While the idea of buying a car new sounds nice, with my budget i'd be ending up with the cheapest little car available and probably regret it later.
So i think i'll probably pickup a really good 5 year old falcon for the same sort of money + a lot more comfort then a little car - new or not.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
It is my understanding (or lack of) that dealer delivery IS for the cost of them getting the vehicle in to the dealership + pre-sale check.

A guy I work with swears its charged cos they "deliver it to your house or work" and you don't have to pay it if you pick it up. Now, he can't be swayed into my way of thinking so I guess this might be a good time to ask. He's wrong huh?
You are spot on,your friend doesnt have a clue.
Old 13-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

This is a handy link I look at every so often, from LeasePlan. It's useful for seeing a few things including National Fleet discount, General Fleet discount, and dealer delivery. Keep in mind though that the List Price column is ex-GST.

http://simulators.leaseplan.com.au/vehicle_database.jsp
Old 13-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing I don’t like about auctions is you never know how the previous owner treated the car.

Privately you at least get to meet the owner and can gauge what sort of person they are and what they are like with their cars.

I know somebody with a nice BA2 XR6 with some good options on it as a work car.

It’s always filled with rubbish, hardly ever washed, has just had all the doors and front bar repaired and re-painted due to dent’s and Scratchers, has been driven fairly hard from day one.

Somehow it run over something which hit and cracked the sump on the engine causing a big oil leak, And was driven until the oil alarm cam on!!!

Now it’s up at the auctions in a few weeks this would look like a really good car to buy after it had been detailed, it’s got 30,000k on it

Sports leather
Premium sound
SSS Auto
LSD
18’s
Tint

But look at its history

Even he say’s he treats his car’s badly why that is I don’t know, possibly a combination of to busy with work and cause he isn’t paying for the car he just doesn’t give a chit about it.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Falchoon

Don't forget Luxury Car Tax if the price of the car exceeds $57, 009. LCT rate is currently 25% of the pre GST value of the car that exceeds $57, 009. So if you start adding options like sunroofs and brembos etc you pay an extra 25% more if it pushes the value of the car over the $57, 009 mark.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee
Dont forget stamp duty on rego transfer and charges for number plates number plates basic NSW $35.00 stamp duty on transfer into your name from dealer
Why are there transfer fees if the vehicle is new?

It is un-registered to begin with and the dealer just registers in your name and you pay the associated costs. This is one reason why they need a copy of your license.

This would be different for an ex-demo etc if the vehicle has been registered.

Topic is releated to new car purchase.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

I always buy new cars and get rid of them before 100k, because come 90k things just start going wrong (radiators, batteries, rotors, cabin plastic bits, etc).
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post