Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

Default shift kit - yay or nay?

Does anyone KNOW if these ford performance shift kits are reliable and good cuz this guy is sellin them for $40 and that seems pretty cheap for that type of upgrade........i wouldnt wana hunt the man down and bust-a-skull for him rippin me......booyah! He said u can chirp 2nds and sumtimes 3rds??? hmm...
the link is http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-P...QQcmdZViewItem

finnyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
falconkid
On here daily

i've got one. it works. i can chirp 2nd on full wind. i have an el falcon. i dont leave it on as it is very annoying to have on all the time.

JIM
falconkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Have one on my BA, chirps second in the dry and 2nd and 3rd (sometimes 4th if I change right on peak torque) in the wet. Traction control hates it in the wet, have to turn it off. I also don't have it on all the time as it really does speed up the shift and taking it easy 1-2 change happens with a thud. Get the one that can have the speed of the shift changed with the dial, that way you can tune it the way you want.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

so you can turn these shift kits on and off? do you just wire them to a switch?
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I had one fitted to my EBXR8 and it was the best mod I did. 2nd gear chirpies was excellent. 3rd gear chirpies at the right rpm. The really feel more responsive through the gears. It definitely worth it with the right kit. I bought a kit off a guy from fordmods.com. It was 2 stage switchable, meaning it I could choose from stage 1 being firm shifts to stage 2 being harsh shifts or turn it off for factory settings. All with a flick if a swith while driving. I paid $100 which is more than other kits out there, but I got a warranty from him and full writting intructions of how to fit it. It took me about a half hour to fit. It was spose to take about 15mins but took my time to get it right. I had no problems with it except that if you in traffic, it can get a bit annoying, so its best to leave it off until you are going to race someone (not that I condone street racing).

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
papaghia

i got one, made it my self, used the guide on the forums!

really easy, only cost me $11, looks exactly like that

i have an EF, its auto and minispooled, and it chirps 2nd pretty easy and sometimes 3rd!..

i think you should just make one and wire it up yourself, doesnt take long, the guide on the forums is really good

jkk
papaghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
CruizinEB
Banned

do you know were this guide is???, Link??
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
papaghia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewt...ight=shift+kit

took me a long time to find that! so you better appreciate it! :P

its really simple and cheap!

good luck!
papaghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
CruizinEB
Banned

thanks mate ;)
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive just gone and got the info to make the shift kit but its for an ef so Would this be the same for an ED eg.... computer pin numbers etc...
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
triple8nitro
Alternator

I am gonna do it now.
I'll tell you how I go
Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
willsy_42
XR6UTE

Does anyone know if you can buy the stage one and just hook it up to a switch to go between the factory settings and the shift kit????
willsy_42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Has anyone actually got quarter mile time differences with and without one of these DIY electronic shift kits?? Coz a remember Rob using one at one of the heathcote drags and couldn't break into the 16's, and once we convinced him to turn it off, he ran consistant mid 16 second passes....

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #14
DjAshman

Im a friggen Electronics Technician in the Navy, yet I am still too scared to even touch the ECU. I know that if I attempted a mod like this, I'd blow the car up and kill thousands with the blast : :gren:

So basically... what I am trying to ask is: Is this mod worth it?

Ash

+ EDIT: Triple8, if you get it workin, and reackon it makes a good differance.... I'll let you do it for me hah!
DjAshman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #15
edfairmint

gonna try puttin one in saturday maybe seems so freakin easy hey. Anyone know what the module actually does to the signals goin to the trans or what?
evan
edfairmint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #16
triple8nitro
Alternator

Wink Diy Line Pressure Switch

LOL I just got back from braddon and saw a few cars from the nats (some registered ones anyway lol) . Anyway i was trying to pick this stuff from the wrong place's , tomorrow i will go to jaycar etc...
I've definitely got to see if it does make a difference now Ash and then maybe you can help with getting some of these photos of got up LOL
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #17
triple8nitro
Alternator

OK its done finally, it works well, definitely quicker, the way it works is by tricking the comp, the s5 solenoid controls the line pressure inthe valvebody, normaly it drops the pressure during shifts this makes it raise the pressure
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Do these kits cause backlash in the diff? Because they shift hard does the diff get worn more or loosen up at all?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #19
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read somewhere that it is actually nice to the diff. I thought the same thing but someone said that these kits arnt so good for your gearbox but there fine to the diff. Not sure how true it is..
ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #20
triple8nitro
Alternator

I'll tell you what breaks first !
It seems pretty harsh on box yes, but you can change the resistors & set it up differently I might buy another type and compare after all somone who has spent time & money developing these might end up getting a better result. I admit it has not been timed so it may well be slower.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I would guess that the shifts would be a bit harsh on the gearbox. I mean, you are shifting harder than what was initially intended from factory with the stock internal bands and clutches, but I dont think it will have any major effects unless your thrashing the gearbox hard while pulling burnouts and using the shift kit at the same time. I could be wrong. I never had any issues with my kit however, I would assume it would have some effect on the uni joints on the tailshaft long term.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
I read somewhere that it is actually nice to the diff. I thought the same thing but someone said that these kits arnt so good for your gearbox but there fine to the diff. Not sure how true it is..
It's the other way around. Faster shifts = more shock for the diff, driveshaft, etc, but less friction/wear-time on gearbox.

DjAshman,

As for blowing up your car with a dud shift kit, I made several attempts with mine before finally getting it right (due to dud compenents and not a proper understanding of the circuitry at first). Each time it stuffed up, the car went into limp home mode. Solution? Unhook everything you put in, reattach original wires back together, restart. I'll give you the hot tip though: if you're not confident on getting it right first go, spade connectors are GOLD! ;)

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post