Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
scattastic
Starter Motor

Default EL xr6 vs xr8

considering getting myself and el xr8, and was just wondering is it worth the extra money over the xr6. of course theres always going to be stigma of having those lovely extra couple of cilinders and a six just wouldn't sound the same. but i'm more conserned about is it really worth the money for that extra bit of speed? is there much difference in speeds? is there any concerns about either vehicle i should know about.

thanks in advance.

scattastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

if speed is all that matters.. THEn the xr8 has to be a series 2 to be faster than an xr6 manual. All xr6 manuals were faster than the XR8 up untill EL series 2 which had the 185kw motor and 3.45 Gears.
If it was my choice id get either an Xr6 EL manual or an xr8 series 2.
If u want an auto i think the xr8 is the only real choce...
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There isn't much difference at all, infact in the series 1's the XR6 is probably a bit quicker. Really depends on what your prefer driving, personally I like the V8 engine far better, better torque characteristics and cleaner reving IMO, plus they do sound much better too.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

However you can make a 6 cylinder sound nice aswell....depends on how much power your after...with all the work u do to a six you might be able to get out of it about 180kw at the wheels...otherwise you can get heaps more power out of an 8 but you'd have to spend more $$$...the 8's tend to weigh a bit more and there fore are bit more sluggish on takeofff..

Www.KurucuPerformance.Vze.Com
QUIKXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

EL XR8 series 2 isnt as quick as an EL XR6. I've got a EF XR6 and EL XR8 series 2 and my XR6 is quicker down the 1/4 by .3 seconds. Even feel the difference driving. The XR6 has more poke and feels lighter. Both my cars are manuals. If I was going to pick between an EL XR6 and EL XR8 series 2 I'd still take the 6 but it has to be manual.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few EL2 XR8's (and some earlier model 165kw XR8's) running sub 15 1/4 mile times with only exhaust. Normally it takes a fair it to get a 6cyl into the 14's. In stock form the 6's are great, but it doesnt take much to get the V8's going really nicely, and these days even the more serious V8 mods like heads, cam etc are getting far cheaper. Either way you will have a very nice car.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Both are nice cars but i think its cheaper doing mods to the 6 rather than the 8's (based on 2 heads/extractors/fuel/ so forth)

Bloody nice car though. I wouldnt mind having one
Old 09-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKXR6
However you can make a 6 cylinder sound nice aswell
I am yet to hear a I6 that sounds nice :(

In stock form it seems to come down the the condition of the indervidual car. When you start modifying them, the I6 get results which cheaper mods but will hit the limits of power far sooner than the V8.

Each has good and bad points but overall I dont think there is much between them. I would pick the 8 just for the exhaust note.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and the fact of having a V8, they're just so damn intimidating when your in a six
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
LTD boy
Starter Motor

what about handling, I haven't driven an eight to compare the two does that extra weight over the the front wheels effect the feel of the car that much ?
LTD boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
scattastic
Starter Motor

thanks for the info lads.

i should have been more specific. i will not be buying anything other than a manual. i originally learnt how to drive with an auto, but only really started to love driving after i got a stick. i also should have mentioned that i was thinking of getting the series 2, if i decided to go with the xr8.

just looking arround on car point and car sales ect, theres a bloody lot of xr6's of quite good quality for sale, and only one xr8, a 97 model, don't know wether it's a series 2 or not. i've heard that manul xr8's are pretty rare.

has anybody had any problems with either vehicle?
scattastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
347Stroker
Banned

My ELII XR8 ran 14.94 in total factory stock trim. Exhaust and all.....
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD boy
what about handling, I haven't driven an eight to compare the two does that extra weight over the the front wheels effect the feel of the car that much ?
The V8s run stiffer springs to counteract the heavier engine and IMO they both handle pretty much the same. You would have to be really pushing it to find much of a difference, and you quickly get use to that little differences after driving it for a bit,
Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
I am yet to hear a I6 that sounds nice :(
well u obviously haven't heard mine
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

dunno about that, I6 sounds ИИИИ compared to V8 :P
and unfortauntely we always compare to a V8 :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

A grey motor with twin stommies always sounds horn to me

And there's about 40kg difference between the V8 and I6 I think. Slap on some alloy heads (hehe) and the difference is probably only 20kg.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #17
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
My ELII XR8 ran 14.94 in total factory stock trim. Exhaust and all.....
Well there you go. I've never heard of a stock E-series 6 coming anywhere near that sort of time.

Quote:
well u obviously haven't heard mine
But even yours thats had a fair bit of money spent on the engine wouldn't sound as good as a stock Windsor with a cheap 2.5" or 3" exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 AM   #18
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

I've got a Series 1 EL XR8 5speed, and it floggs my mates EF XR6 5 speed. Mine did a 15.01sec pass with my first and only run.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #19
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

I got a Series II XR8 and is absolutly awesome, haven't had a 6 beat it yet and it's fairly stock, there's some on carsales.com.au (including mine... had to give it a plug).
Beat my mates VS Clubbie easily too.
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #20
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

you also got to take into consideration, weather the extra fuel costs are worth it for bit of noise
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #21
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I obviously dont launche very well with my car then if you guys can get low 15s and into 14s with a stock/next to stock EL XR8.
Someone teach me how to launch!!!! lol
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #22
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
and the fact of having a V8, they're just so damn intimidating when your in a six
It just makes them more fun to BEAT :> when youre in a 6.
I hardly find the sound of a stock Wheasor anything to get excited about either :>
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #23
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

I find my EL XR6 very easy to drive and very nimble feels very light, do sturggle at time to get it to launch, mainly cause its an auto, this worries me a little for heathcote in a few weeks time, any advice on launching an auto???
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #24
EL XR8

Performance wise they're pretty much equal. There's hardly anything in them whether it be a Series 1 or 2.
The fuel economy thing is no where near as bad as people make it out to be.
I got 800kms out of tank crusing on 110km/h to Canberra out of my Series 1 EL XR8. Still got 600+ with the blower. used to get 450+ around town, only with exhaust and extractors.
The pro's about an XR8, they sound better, hands down winner, and you wont do head gaskets like the sixes do. Will last longer than a six.
The Con's, Harder to find and more expensive, for not a lot of speed difference (if any). Power increases aren't cheap.
EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #25
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilracer_01
I find my EL XR6 very easy to drive and very nimble feels very light, do sturggle at time to get it to launch, mainly cause its an auto, this worries me a little for heathcote in a few weeks time, any advice on launching an auto???
Compare tromping it off the line with stalling up to around 2000rpm and launching (left foot firmly on brake, right foot feathering accelerator, but so that wheels aren't spinning).
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #26
xr8ute
Back on the road

I would pick a manual EL2 XR8 over an XR6 without a second thought. So much more potential, than the I6, if/when you are after some extra herbs as well...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #27
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Compare tromping it off the line with stalling up to around 2000rpm and launching (left foot firmly on brake, right foot feathering accelerator, but so that wheels aren't spinning).

Thanks for the advice.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post