Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Tyre Time

gday All,
So the time has come where new tyres are needed in the next month or so, and just looking into what to get!

Currently have Kumho Ku23's which I have to say im very happy with and can get these for $150 a corner, so no complaints with that. Also looking at the Ku31's for $175/corner.

One tyre place mentioned Nankangs? http://www.nankang.com.tw/home.php?f...t_1&no=7&pno=1
Cant say I've ever had them, or have much faith in them - anyone here have any experience?

What are people running? My tyre size is 225/40/18

thanks in advance!

-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tyre Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
gday All,
So the time has come where new tyres are needed in the next month or so, and just looking into what to get!

Currently have Kumho Ku23's which I have to say im very happy with and can get these for $150 a corner, so no complaints with that. Also looking at the Ku31's for $175/corner.

One tyre place mentioned Nankangs? http://www.nankang.com.tw/home.php?f...t_1&no=7&pno=1
Cant say I've ever had them, or have much faith in them - anyone here have any experience?

What are people running? My tyre size is 225/40/18

thanks in advance!
i have own a set of nangkang N-1's on my old car because they were cheap and I didnt know how long I was going to keep the car for. But it turned out to be a nice set of tyres even on wet roads i had noticed. i have also read others had bad comments on them too. So its hard to say.

The ones I had were 205/45/16 @$105 each.

I think they would suit the focus's fine.

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
ConradP

I went for something a bit more expensive with mine, got some Falkens, can't remember what the model of them is, they were $250 each.

I was originally looking at some $300+ ones but realised the cost all up and went back to the "mid top" or something range of tyres that Bob Jane offer. I do like them but I've never had anything else besides the stock ones so can't compare too much.

They are 225/40/18
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
rand0mn00b

the KU31 are meant to be pretty unbeatable for the money - I'm going to go with them next (currently Toyo Proxes 4)

where in Sydney are you? St George Tyres and Tempe tyres are pretty competitive as they're down the road from eachother

KU31 in your size are under $150 from St George - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=290616889825
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
the KU31 are meant to be pretty unbeatable for the money - I'm going to go with them next (currently Toyo Proxes 4)

where in Sydney are you? St George Tyres and Tempe tyres are pretty competitive as they're down the road from eachother

KU31 in your size are under $150 from St George - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=290616889825
What do you think of the Proxes 4? I'm interested in those for one of our other cars.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What do you think of the Proxes 4? I'm interested in those for one of our other cars.
coming from the stock goodyear eagle NCT5 the proxes 4 were a massive upgrade

noise was greatly reduced. dry and wet grip are much, much better and confidence in cornering and braking were all improved across the board. i didn't know how noisy the NCT5 were until they were gone. having said that, they are only the 2nd set of tyres on my Focus and the NCT5s are nothing to write home about so keep that in mind.

my main observations are that the Proxes 4 seems to harden a bit with age. initially the tyres while very grippy seemed a bit squishy - while it never missed a beat in the grip department the feedback through the wheel seemed a bit soft, this went away between 500-1000KM. maybe it was a bedding-in period.

right now, about 40,000KM later I think they're reaching the point where the ride is a bit rough and noise has increased to the point i am really noticing. they are wearing quite well, could probably get another 10,000KM if i tried but i think it might change sooner if the noise, ride and grip give more than I'd like.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I've purchased several sets of the Kumho KU31's over the years and have nothing but praise for them. They are very hard to beat for the price

You can review them here http://www.carbonblack.com.au/car-ty...-spt-ku31.aspx along with others, but the Kumho's definitely tick more boxes than most
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Pirelli P-Zero Neros 225/40 R18, got them for around $250 each.

Easily the best tyres I've ever purchased. Don't skimp on tyres, if they are crap you have to put up with them for a very long time. I've bought cheaper tyres in the past and I won't ever again.

You can't really go wrong with Pirelli, Bridgestone, Falken or Toyo in my opinion.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you think of the Bridgestone RUN FLATS?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
What do you think of the Bridgestone RUN FLATS?
Not familiar with them myself but they only received average reviews on a UK tyre review site (although only on BMW it would appear) - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...A-Run-Flat.htm
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

For your everyday run around I dont mind Nankangs. There not all that bad. But on my project car a got a wheel and tyre package that landed me with Nankangs. As a performance tyre I say no! Even on 10.5 inch wide tyres in the rears 3rd gear is troubled for traction.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
casabonka
You can call me Chris

The price from St George looks good. I got my last tyres and rims from tempe, so heading out there isnt an issue. Im really happy with the 23's, and even after 40k kms, they still grip great, but if I can upgrade to the 31's I'd be cheering!

That ebay price, Im assuming doesnt include fitting? Will give them a buzz soon!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 15-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

put continentals on the wife's focus. they were actually cheaper than all the other main brands.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Pirelli P-Zero Neros 225/40 R18, got them for around $250 each.

Easily the best tyres I've ever purchased. Don't skimp on tyres, if they are crap you have to put up with them for a very long time. I've bought cheaper tyres in the past and I won't ever again.

You can't really go wrong with Pirelli, Bridgestone, Falken or Toyo in my opinion.

they are the contact between you and the road, if you are a student and cant afford Pirelli buy something cheaper but if you can find the extra coin spend it!!

If it stops you in time its worth it!

Id hate to be a cheapo on purchasing tyres and then having an accident which could have been avoided if it only meant spending extra $$$$ and the trade off is car damage or worse life!

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
rand0mn00b

agree that tyres and brakes shouldn't be skimped on

but at the same time spending smart doesn't mean needlessly spending lots
Old 15-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
put continentals on the wife's focus. they were actually cheaper than all the other main brands.
The standard Conti's on my 5 were ok but not flash. I put Silverstone EVOL8 put on my 5, 235/40/18 $640 fitted an W/A, so far im happy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
~Spyne~

Running on Proxes4 tyres for the last 18months - fantastic tyres that wear well and have excellent grip in dry AND wet.
Think I got mine for $215ea, fitted.

When I was looking I had it down to the Toyo Proxes4, Kumho KU31 and Falken **452. They all seemed equally good (and better than their competition)_so it was just chance that I went with the Toyos.
Old 17-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
rand0mn00b

Federal 595 are also meant to be a comparably good tyre if you can get them for a competitive price in your size
Old 17-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
casabonka
You can call me Chris

decisions decisions! I think im set on the KU31's - just been really happy with the 23's - Still have another month or so before I need to spend the cash at least!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 17-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
Federal 595 are also meant to be a comparably good tyre if you can get them for a competitive price in your size
not sure if they are different for small cars but i mentioned these when i was looking for my falcon and most of the feedback was negative.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
decisions decisions! I think im set on the KU31's
Definitely the best value and reasonably safe but if you can fork the extra money just get Pirelli they're quiet and have excellent grip wet or dry. Otherwise KU31's will suffice.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #22
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
not sure if they are different for small cars but i mentioned these when i was looking for my falcon and most of the feedback was negative.
I read a federal reveiw in wheels magazine and the did amazing in the dry but the exact opposite in the wet

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
Definitely the best value and reasonably safe but if you can fork the extra money just get Pirelli they're quiet and have excellent grip wet or dry. Otherwise KU31's will suffice.
I bought KU31s for my focus (16s). I ended up getting them from OzzyTyres. Price was pretty sweet!
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post