Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Default What are the Best Headers for AU1 XR6?

Ok, i did some searching in here, and have found some basic info, but nothing definitive. My engine isn't a VCT model.

I'm considering the JMM "Street-Fighter" Mandrel Bent Headers, not sure if they're suitable, or the best 'fit' for my stock ute. Is there another brand that possibly delivers as good gains, but little lighter on the wallet.

I've had the exhaust done, the cat is stock though. Should i bother to change it?

I'm not ready to buy yet, i want to make sure whatever i get, is the best value for money - so im trying to gather real experiences.

Thanks in advance

max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should be looking at 3 Headers:

- Best bang for you buck: Pacemaker 4480

- Best power: JMM Race Series Headers (Not sure whether they are still available)

- Next best thing: JMM Street-Fighter

You could look at Herrod Motorsport 4L Headers, but they are very pricey, or the Pacemaker 4499 are the other Pacemaker design, which are more designed for low-down. But overall the 4480s are the goer, over the 4499.

As for cat, being an AUI, your car is a 1998/1999 model. I wouldn't really worry about it, as it should be in good condition. The early E-Series fellas should be worrying about that. Just make sure you open your cat up to 2.5".

Cheers
Old 17-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
hambo_12

Yeah I wanted the race series headers, but they are currently unavailable. Went the "next best thing" streetfighters, and couldnt be happier with them, highly recommended... Oh I have a VCT by the way...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Very happy with my Herrod headers.

Do JMM HPC coat their stuff?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Very happy with my Herrod headers.

Do JMM HPC coat their stuff?
Yeah, for a price...
Old 17-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I should add, that the Herrod Headers, actually come HPC, and with a high flow cat, I believe. That is why they are so pricey.
Old 17-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Yes, I should add, that the Herrod Headers, actually come HPC, and with a high flow cat, I believe. That is why they are so pricey.
Well, I didnt know that. So, in reality, they arent that pricey :1syellow1
Old 17-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #8
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Ok thanks guys, but what would i be looking at spending for a Pacemaker 4480 over say the herrods one. I know the JMM price, and im leaning toward them - at the same time i'm wondering if its worth modding the car, when i can just upgrade to a 6T.

Installation, is that difficult, can a novice do this? would this affect insurance?
Old 18-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #9
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pacemakers are around $450ish. Cheapest around are on ebay. Then charge fitting on top of that.

I can't quite remember Herrod's but I think they were about $800ish+. Could have been $1100-1200 fitted.

If your dealing with insurance, make sure your allowed them in the first place.

Cheers
Old 18-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #10
stiddy
Banned

Herrods was a little over a grand..
jmm race series you cant get, but the streetfighters are 490.. and just as good ive been told..
and pacemakers are yah like LG said about 450....
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #11
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got the re-designed (mandrel bent) JMM streetfighters in my VCT. I wouldnt call them "the next best thing" When they were developed and tested , JMM was supprised with how good the results were - they didnt expect them to produce the power they did...

For only around $40 more than 4480's I wouldnt think twice about the JMM headers.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #12
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Thanks guys, i'd be best to check with insurance after my stack recently i dont know what they'll say.

JMM Seems to be worth the extra money, being site sponsors too its an obvious choice.
Old 18-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #13
TCK-098

I went down the same road trying to decide what headers to put on to my Au but everyone has differant views on products so i just went To a mates exhaust shop and put on Advance headers.
The car goes bloody well and i didnt spent over $900 for the complete system from manifold to tip.
Old 18-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Ok...if you want top end power bigger tubing will help at the expense of low down torque.Smaller tubing assists torque and longer secindaries give more torque again.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
buickman
buickman

A read on exhaust systems

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post