Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Timeshift

Default Help! My window!

:(

Got in the car to go to work, wound the window down. It began to rain somewhat (not hard) and after a few mins decided to wind the window up. But... the button didn't make the window move.

I have an AUIII with electric front windows. When I press the part of the button to make the window go down (and obviously already is down) I do feel the slight shudder and the LED does dim for a quick second (as most AU owners might know) so I know the physical connection to the switch is still working. When I press the other part of the button to get it back up, I feel nothing.

Any ideas?

Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think you have to click it backwards and forwards 37 times? It is some ludicrus number like that, and Im not having you on, do it and it will work again. Happened in my mums car (99 forte) back and forward 37 odd times, and it went again, hasnt stopped working since. I am pretty sure this is what Ford actually reccomend as well.
Old 17-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Timeshift

yeah tried that, and after a bunch of times I do hear that kinda clicking noise to indicate it's done it... but the window still doesn't move :(
Old 17-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
SIKSIX
Its gone V

just try pushing really hard on the switch and i mean hard, also if you just got front power windows only then you can swap the looms at the bottom of the switch.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
just try pushing really hard on the switch and i mean hard, also if you just got front power windows only then you can swap the looms at the bottom of the switch.
Well I tried pushing "really hard" but im not sure what that's supposed to do?

How can I swap the looms? I can change my fluids and know a little about car terminology but not much else :P
Old 17-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

the switch probably just need pulling out and clean the contacts , they get a bit black after a while and full of rubbish too , bit of a clean and a re-vasaline and they seem to work ok again , had this happen on my auII on both passenger and drivers side windows allready within a few months of owning the car, they were filthy full of dust and rubbish and contacts in them were black ( just sand them clean again - small bit of sandpaper or the missus nailfile fits too ..lol) ..gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
the switch probably just need pulling out and clean the contacts , they get a bit black after a while and full of rubbish too , bit of a clean and a re-vasaline and they seem to work ok again , had this happen on my auII on both passenger and drivers side windows allready within a few months of owning the car, they were filthy full of dust and rubbish and contacts in them were black ( just sand them clean again - small bit of sandpaper or the missus nailfile fits too ..lol) ..gl
Will try that. Is it easy to remove the buttons, and get them back on afterward?

What im worried about is the fact it happened after I was in the rain (although ive been in heavier before)... some water would have got to the switch but definately not the first time, and not a lot of water. Anyone had theirs affected by rain? If rain did cause it, would it still recognise the upper half of the button as its doing at the moment?
Old 17-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
SIKSIX
Its gone V

well in my mates s2 ute his switch stuffed up and all i did was take out the switch surround with a small flat blade, just stick in the screw driver from the front push that swicth surround back and up. then if the looms look the same swap them and try that, you will have contol of the drivers window but not the passengers from your side. GL
Old 17-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

yeah easy to get them out , just make sure u pull the actually switch part apart carefully , there is like 2 little while plastic tags inside the switch unit , they must be placed back in the same way they came out ( easy to put them in the wrong way ! ) , under those white tags u will see the copper contacts , give them a clean off ( probably a bit black ) , clean the switch unit out of dust etc etc , re-vaseline the copper contacts , put some vasaline on the white tags too , then clip it all back together ... ps .. there is like 2 or 3 small tags on the back of the switch u have to unclip sorta to get the switch open for cleaning.

Old 17-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Timeshift

Im confused (sorry, not very car savvy)... the button with up and down that moves the window, is that what I put the screwdriver or whatever under, to get it out? Or do I have to remove the actual surrounds of the button to get to it?
Old 17-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
SIKSIX
Its gone V

the surround with both the buttons.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

you said when you press the button to make it go up, you hear a shudder??

in that casre it is NOT the switch and dont pull it apart.

its ovbiously something wrong with the mechanism...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

you will have to pull the surround up carefully , then from under the surround disconnect the plug from the switch, take the whole assembley inside then and unclip the switch from the surround , once u have uncliped the switch out of the surround , u will then have to dismantle the switch ( it clips apart ) , then do as stated above to clean and fix it ..

Old 17-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #14
SIKSIX
Its gone V

he gets shudder on the way down.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
you said when you press the button to make it go up, you hear a shudder??

in that casre it is NOT the switch and dont pull it apart.

its ovbiously something wrong with the mechanism...
He didn't say he hears a shudder , just a clicking sound ... i almost bet my left nut its just the contacts inside the switch ;) .

And the shudder on the way down is probably just the window grabbing the seals, as they probably too need some silicone spray on the seals to free the movement off the window more freely .

Old 17-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
the surround with both the buttons.
:

Ok will see what I can do.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Timeshift

To clarify - the window is stuck all the way to the bottom. If I press the part of the button to wind it down (even though I can't), I feel the slight shudder (and see the revs change slightly) and the LED where the KMs show de-illuminates slightly (as it normally does). If I press the part of the button to wind it up, I feel/see nothing. As far as the clicking goes, I'm referring to the clicking after the up/down 37 times method.
Old 17-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah yep...sorry...

thought you meant you feel a shudder then nothing as you try and get the window to come up...

definatley the switch try cleaning it but it never seems to work properly.(done a few on my car and did the one in my parents AU monty before they got a new one)..... see how much they are new. it might not be that bad $$ wise......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

that happened to my left rear window, except it was stuck up, and neither button worked. i tried the 37 times thing, and that didnt work. oneday it just started working again :
Old 17-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #20
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If it's not the switch, it may be the rubber gliders in the rails... if it's jamming the window, it could be putting pressure on preventing the window from going up, thus, you will here a click for the motor to cut out because it's thinks it's all the way up. A bit or vasaline on the rubber glides will fix this...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The water will have formed a seal on the window against the window rubber, making it hard to get up. If you can grab any part of the window, try pulling the window up by hand while using the switch in the normal up position - takes the stress off the motor a bit by pulling manually.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #22
SIKSIX
Its gone V

maybe timeshift got electramacuted :sm_headba nah just joking. : he hasn't been back for a while lol. hope hes ok.

Last edited by SIKSIX; 17-04-2006 at 08:01 PM. Reason: cause i misspelt shift lol
Old 17-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #23
Timeshift

Fixed it :

Got the surround panel off (whoa that was easy) and they had the same connectors, apart from the colour. swapped them around and the passenger side window was then the one that didnt work!

It is the right switch which is faulty. Left that one unplugged and connected the driver window to the left switch, all good :

I don't really care about the passenger side control so long as they can still wind it down on their side.

AU forums, you've done it again, another happy surfer :hihi:
Old 17-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #24
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

it will just be the contacts inside the switch then , there isn't really any parts that can break inside the switch , just the contacts black out a bit and they get full of dust and rubbish , good to hear its just the switch , easy fix .