Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-05-2024, 08:15 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: 2009 MB Diesel just stalled and won’t start

I’d assumed they had done a partial teardown which included the cam covers. That would reveal the failed rocker arms. Honestly, something would need to be seriously wrong for damage to extend beyond that. Because the valves are perpendicular to the piston tops and of stout design, is why stuff breaks in this way.

After throwing out so many water pumps, cam belt idlers and tensioners that were probably perfectly good (belts changed by age, but low mileage) these days I often think a bare belt is sufficient - if the other parts have not been pressure washed, solvent cleaned or allowed to corrode. An informed examination is key.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2024, 04:39 PM   #2
dan76n

Spoke to mechanic today and asked if they had inspected the rocker arms and was told that no they hadn't as there's no need to remove the rocker cover to get to the timing belt and it would just take more time which is a cost to me.
Also said they have never seen rocker arms damaged from a timing belt malfunction, it's normally bent valves.
Going to check something about whether or not the engine is free spining or not and if it is it's less likely to have damaged valves.
dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2024, 05:22 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This chap has more or less the same patter as I’ve posted, it’s in a Mondeo as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZCUrqADWR0
Quote:
Even a frigging taxi driver can’t bend valves on these engines.
(~15:00 in the video)
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2024, 07:42 PM   #4
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

As suggested by citroenbender, I believe the week link is the rocker arm & if the timing belt has lost its teeth, then I believe your engine will have broken rocker arms(unless it's merely lost 2 tooth& timing is only slightly out & the slight smack the valve has coped has not broken anything-i believe almost impossible.....butstranger things have happened)the other option would be to put a lower km 2nd hand engine in, u would probably find an engine for your model with much lower kms for about $600 + probably about $500 to fit.
goz007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: