Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
VSSII

Default What does Ford export??

Toyota build about 110,000 cars a year and around 70,000 of these are exported overseas (all camrys). GMH build about 155,000 cars a year and export approximately 17,000 or so to the UAE, South America, South Africa etc. These numbers were taken from p39 of current wheels magazine. Even Mitsubishi export the 380's. Quite a few actually. I've looked at autoindustries.com.au and can't seem to see what Ford sold last year. But what do Ford export and to where? And NZ doesn't count! Do they sell to the UAE or South Africa? If not why not?

VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
Danny
GT4.

It exports Territory to South Africa and Thailand country as far as I know, But in very small numbers. And clearly Falcons and Terri's are exported to NZ.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
It exports Territory to South Africa and Thailand country as far as I know, But in very small numbers. And clearly Falcons and Terri's are exported to NZ.
Yeah last year they exported about 10000 terri's

But the new grant from the gov will allow the falcon (post orion) to be LHD/RHD so should open the market up for that.
Ford does have alot of engineering projects for cars overseas in asia pacific.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
aualright

Less tangible items such as design, R&D, etc. Greater profit margins, albeit not as glorious as moving actual cars.

Essentially we export smarts, you export parts.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Toyota build about 110,000 cars a year and around 70,000 of these are exported overseas (all camrys). GMH build about 155,000 cars a year and export approximately 17,000 or so to the UAE, South America, South Africa etc. These numbers were taken from p39 of current wheels magazine. Even Mitsubishi export the 380's. Quite a few actually. I've looked at autoindustries.com.au and can't seem to see what Ford sold last year. But what do Ford export and to where? And NZ doesn't count! Do they sell to the UAE or South Africa? If not why not?
Last month's Wheels, not this month's.

Ford have been good to the Southern Hemisphere, RHD countries, as they have either built, or sold the Falcon in NZ, South Africa and obviously Australia. MMAL used to export the Magna and Verada, Toyota export more Camrys than they sell, and Holden have got exports to the Middle East and China.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
Less tangible items such as design, R&D, etc. Greater profit margins, albeit not as glorious as moving actual cars.

Essentially we export smarts, you export parts.
So very well put....I believe that Ford made more profit doing the R&D for India's Fiesta then Holden made eporting the GTO to the US as the exchange rate started to really burn the margins down for Holden... unfortunately for Ford Oz you can't get sexy photo's of cars filling the ship heading OS although I'm certain everyone would rather have the money.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford also exports T-Shirts, magnets, posters and pictures!

Of course, the license to print such merchandise is what is truly sold, but merc is just a by-product.

I'm speaking manure again.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

The S.A territory exports I belive have been pretty positive. As its a tough and heavily protected market, but very positive from reviews I've read. They love it.

But the territorys appeal is limited with no diesel version and higher oil prices.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I thought the 380 is no longer exported bar NZ. The export deal they had with Canada is finished.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm an Aussie working in Brunei which is a Sultanate on the island of Borneo. There is only 1 Ford Dealer here, Premier Automobiles. I pass by there every day on my way to work. They have been selling Territory TS's here for about a year at Brunei $59,000, about A$44,000. The TS's are sold with a lot of accessories as standard. Recently I spotted 1 BF Falcon XR6 and 1 XR6 Turbo, both Lightning Strike and 6 speed autos. I believe they are the only 2 BF Falcons in Brunei. It is only a small market here, annual sales of new cars are about 12,000 units. I know this is not very exciting news but for Blue Oval lovers, and as well as being an Aussie, it is good to see these vehicles here.

Jim Young
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
brag all you like......HSV tail lights HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post