Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default $15k to play with. What car?

Ok.

The EF's days are numbered. It's time for a new car with a bit more potential, and atm im doing the homework (yet again).

Realistically, i have about $15-17k to play with, and i would like a ute of some sort. No E series, no X series, low kms, non XR model (insurance is painful at the best of times). The idea would be to get a reasonably good model (i.e. XLS) and do it up to XR standard.

How much should i expect to pay for an AUII/I XLS, auto with low kms? I was hoping about $16-17, but im not sure if that's realistic.

Any ideas, suggestions? Please dont quote me Redbook cos i reckon it's bs. Also, if anyone knows of anything along these lines in the ACT/Sthn NSW area, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

AU 1 XLS with 100,000 kms you will pick up for around the 17,000 mark...

At the end of the day unless its a AU III XLS with the Tickford motor it really is no better then an XL. The basic difference is colour coded side mouldings, colour coded grill, 16 inch alloys, cruise control and the sports cloth trim...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

You'll get sports suspension as well.

And obviously each one's going to be different depending on the options taken by the original owner... eg mine has 17" tickford wheels, sports roll bar
You'll also probably get power windows, 6 stacker in the front etc

they're not that bad !
I paid 19k for mine with 90000kms but i've heard they go alot cheaper than that ...
maybe have a look on Car Point

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought about the Canberra auctions? www.pickles.com.au If you find any there with pre auction purchase prices that's a pretty good indicator of the auction price, maybe a couple of hundere cheaper or dearer depending on the day.

Regards,
Tote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Check out www.redbook.com.au This site gives you a fair indication of the values
Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Thought about the Canberra auctions? www.pickles.com.au If you find any there with pre auction purchase prices that's a pretty good indicator of the auction price, maybe a couple of hundere cheaper or dearer depending on the day.

Regards,
Tote
That's my tip... a BA XT would fall into that price range if you are willing to attend and bid at an auction.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Yea as a guide I picked up a 12/03 'Ice Mint' BA Futura with 19 ??? kays on the clock today for $19500. That was thru my wholesaler and he picks them up via the auctions and then throws on a grand or two for himself..

17k maybe a smidge more would see you give the AU's a miss completely..

With your contacts in Ford spares Futura to BA is only small hop,skip and trip in the BA's...

EDIT: I just caught the preference you have for a ute doh! but I'll leave my post as is for a reference of what bargins you can get at the auctions if you turn up with the hard earnt ready to spend..

Last edited by Racecraft; 03-03-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I got my new addition as in my sig.

Marlin_Girl can vouch for it, I hope...

It had 77,000 on it, and I got it for $17,000

Just keep an eye open, and don't buy the first example you see, cause most of the time, there's a better example for sale elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks guys, auctions are definately a possibility because of the common use of AU/BA utes in fleets etc etc.

I wont even consider a BA unless it is a late 2003 or 2004+ model, simply because i dont want the early ones - too many problems. So i dont think id be able to get one for that kind of money.
I was aiming for an AU2/3 XLS, but im not paying $20+ for one (why is it that utes are always more expensive than cars?).

I'm also looking at ORIX and places like that.

The only thing is, i need to get rid of my car before i can buy, because it will make up some of the funds used to purchase the new one. Thats the downside of the auctions. I'll see how i go though.

I will also admit im looking at VU/VY S Pack utes, i dont mind them. :
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You will find that many of the early BAs are great cars and that the build quality is much better then some of them coming out now due to the fact that they are pushing so many more out..

We had an 02 BA and it was pretty fault free - only brake shudder.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will find that many of the early BAs are great cars and that the build quality is much better then some of them coming out now due to the fact that they are pushing so many more out..

We had an 02 BA and it was pretty fault free - only brake shudder.

You will pay more for a VU / VY and they are worse finished then the AU / BA
Old 03-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carnet.com.au/car.net/cna...690&AFFILIATE=

That would be a good buy with the Tickford Motor (Y)
Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carnet.com.au/car.net/cna...986&AFFILIATE=

Marlin with the XR front bar..
Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

B2TF, trust me, with the money you have and what you wanna spend it on, in the Red Camp, you won't get any better than a VS Series 2 ute or at worst, a VU with very high clicks on it. I was looking at them too.

In your mind, make a definite decision on what you want, and just keep an eye on things...
Old 04-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #15
hambo_12

Dont go the vy s ute, dont you dare!

An XLS ute is great, I was looking at one of them till I found the xr. Go for it, you wont regret it.

You might be pushing it, but an auction might have a BA xl or xls ute for $16-20...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #16
hambo_12

oh, also forgot to say, if you goin AU, liquid silver, manual!

(im not biased!)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

BA at a AUCTION, would be a good idea, still have use of warranty if something fails..
a Ford dealer has BA XT 2003 $19,990 drive away in HeraldSun yesterday...i drove one this week for a day, very nice car to drive...i had a AU was and still is a very good car, but i would take the BA any day 182 killowatt standard it has plenty of punch...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

BA would be nice but there is no way i am paying that much. While its cheap and all, i just cant stretch it that much. At most i would pay $16,000 for one and i want it to have under 100,000 on it.

So, some good ideas guys, but theyre a little bit out of my reach atm.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #19
Marlin_Girl

Get a Marlin !
they're wicked :nutsycuck

pics of my ute HERE
Old 04-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #20
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

If you can afford to spend $2000 more then i would definately look at a BA as you can get them from about $17,000 or so.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

John, at the price he's looking at, you would end up with a BA with about 200,000 clicks, if possible in the time they've been out for.

Just look at trying to get an AUII XLS, Marlin if you can get one at a reasonable price or a XL if the previous two aren't to your liking. Happy hunting
Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #22
Dez
Banned

here

this 1 is higher than your budget, but also has lower k's and is a v8....so if you intend on making it into an XR look a like, it'd have a bit of go to match....

Last edited by Dez; 04-03-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #23
Marlin_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
here

this 1 is higher than your budget, but also has lower k's and is a v8....so if you intend on making it into an XR look a like, it'd have a bit of go to match....
aaaah dez... you make me feel sick
i wish i bought that 1!!

it's not a manual though so that's my brightside

pics of my ute HERE
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #24
Dez
Banned

myself and LG were doing some browsing, and we did find a few V8 manuals as well.....

marlin girl: you said yours has 17" tickfords.....did you take them off or something :
Old 04-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Im considering a few options atm, one of which is to wait a little while longer, use the $15k or so as a downpayment, then take out a loan to fill the gap and get myself into a BA ute.

Will have to see what happens - id be quite happy in an AU ute (def. not AU1 though), but if its not much more effort to get into the BA, it may be the way to go.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #26
Dez
Banned

the BA sedans (stock 6) have a decent amount of GO for a abse model family car...and are fun with the tiptronic auto.....

if you're looking to get a loan, would you stretch to an XR....that'd be awesome
Old 04-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah i could get into an XR rather easily, but i wouldnt simply because im not paying the ongoing costs just to drive one. The purchase price is not my determining factor so much - its stuff like fuel usage, tyres, rego, and most painful of all - insurance.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #28
Dez
Banned

yeah...insurance has killed my dreams a few times too

they want $2500 for my car stock, so if i had a car that was worth, for eg, over $10k, i'd have to insure it full comp....
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well, the trouble is that if you do get a loan for a car, 99.99% of the time they will require you to have full comp on it. So it's a bit of a bad situation.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #30
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

My mate is a valuer at Adrian Brien here in Adelaide, a few months ago he bought a BA ute for the yard for $12.000. 50 odd thousand K and a big scratch on the front bumper. And a little dent in de quarter. I advise you go and visit some auctions mate, or a buy private sale. I sold my late 2003 BA ute for $22000 6 months ago, 8K on the clock and immaculate.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post