Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default VFacts June 2010

Well the data isn't out yet, but drive seems to have gotten some numbers.

Commodore No 1 again.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0701-zoz0.html

Quote:
June car sales still strong, but growth slows TOBY HAGON
July 1, 2010 - 1:23PM

New car sales figures for June, to be released on Monday, are expected to show a slowdown from the strong growth in the first five months of the year.

Holden is expected to have plenty of reasons to smile when the official vehicle sales figures for June are released on Monday, although the former number one brand is still a long way of reclaiming the top spot on the sales charts.

The local manufacturer is believed to have grown June sales by about 13 per cent over the same time last year, selling almost 14,000 cars, still behind dominant industry leader Toyota, which sold more than 21,000 cars last month.

Once again the Holden Commodore has taken the top spot among its peers with 4700 sales, giving it a solid lead of fast charging rivals, the Mazda3 small car and Toyota Hilux ute. The Ford Falcon sold about 2600 cars in June ahead of the arrival of a new V8 engine before the end of the year.

The Subaru Forester recorded more sales than any other off-roader (about 1700), ahead of the Holden Captiva and Toyota Prado.

Holden sales were already up almost 25 per cent for the first five months of the year, with this latest result expected to grow the brand's market share. Toyota sales were flat in June, while Ford and Mazda sold fewer cars than they did in June 2009.

Hyundai and Nissan are believed to have experienced strong sales growth in June, but most car makers' sales were either flat or down as the new-car-market recovery of the last 12 months begins to slow.

The are a little deceiving, though, as last year's June sales were the third best on record, responding to government incentives and a general improvement in economic confidence as the world began to emerge from its GFC slumber.

No doubt some economists and forecasters will be questioning whether the apparent slowdown in new-car sales growth in June is a result of a possible double-dip recession that's taken its toll on the share market in the last month.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suprising to see Commodore selling so well with a new model coming out soon, the dealers arnt really slashing prices either, but adding in freebies such as free sunroofs on SV6s.

Falcon, wow I thought with all the 50th Anniversary stuff it would have got some attention. Once they lose their 300-400 wagons a month, hmmm. Hopefully a new XR8 model spurs some attention. I think the stupidly cheap resale-killing demo-a-thon brought forward a lot of sales to April, May though, so maybe it will go back to normal soon.

1700 Foresters, huge! Just in another thread I was saying they should be building a compact SUV here on the same platform as a C-segment car, like Focus and Kuga.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Suprising to see Commodore selling so well with a new model coming out soon, the dealers arnt really slashing prices either, but adding in freebies such as free sunroofs on SV6s.

Falcon, wow I thought with all the 50th Anniversary stuff it would have got some attention. Once they lose their 300-400 wagons a month, hmmm. Hopefully a new XR8 model spurs some attention. I think the stupidly cheap resale-killing demo-a-thon brought forward a lot of sales to April, May though, so maybe it will go back to normal soon.

1700 Foresters, huge! Just in another thread I was saying they should be building a compact SUV here on the same platform as a C-segment car, like Focus and Kuga.

Could also be fleet sale bonanza time for companies.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
From discountnewcars.com.au,
sales available to July 31:

VE International = $33,990 Drive away
VE International Sportwagon = $35,990 Drive away
VE SV6 = $35,766 Drive away
VE SV6 Sportwagon = $40,830 Drive away
VE SS = $41,766 Drive away
VE SS Sportwagon = $44,990 Drive away
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

But so is Ford, so that'snot the only reason.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of mine wanted a G6. He went to several dealers who all wanted $44K and wouldn't budge. He bought a Honda Accord Euro with way more features, on road for $34.5K.

It's a pity Falcons have to be sold by Ford dealers.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

It's a pity they can't have more features also. They are still lacking a lot of the stuff VE came out with and now the next models about to come out....

Hope they are coming up with something, and soon.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
But so is Ford, so that's not the only reason.
But how many of those $32,990 Falcons or even the $35,990 Falcons are there?
I suspect that they're in very short supply as the 5-speed autos run out
because those deals finished yesterday and Holden's deals continue until 31st July ...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
A friend of mine wanted a G6. He went to several dealers who all wanted $44K and wouldn't budge. He bought a Honda Accord Euro with way more features, on road for $34.5K.

Its good in a way though, it shows that they are not slashing prices. It does seem all a little inconsistent. Maybe he was looking at the new model with 6 speed?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

The 33k Falcons were in May. They went back to 37k in June.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me the premium Holden charge on the Sportwagon, cash straight in their pocket. And thats with every wagon having the same look, bumper, lights etc. Whereas the sedan get individual rear end treatments. Just trying to price one from dealers its often an extra $4000 over the best negotiated price on a sedan. Its cheaper to buy a Territory nearly all the time.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The 33k Falcons were in May. They went back to 37k in June.
Exactly, they were limited runs.
Holden also has Sportwagon out there at the low price as well,
definitly less sales than sedan but Holden had a big month....
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me the premium Holden charge on the Sportwagon, cash straight in their pocket. And thats with every wagon having the same look, bumper, lights etc. Whereas the sedan get individual rear end treatments. Just trying to price one from dealers its often an extra $4000 over the best negotiated price on a sedan. Its cheaper to buy a Territory nearly all the time.
And yet Sportwagon + Captiva = at least 2 x Territory sales....go figure.
I'm beginning to think Ford needs a Sportwagon too....
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

He also got a 2.2 litre front wheel drive medium sized sized car.....

He could have bout an XR5 Focus if that was the car he wanted.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

XR5 Focus is a small sporty car, not a medium car...

but I hear what you're saying.

Sticker shock hits and people cross shop the strangest choices,
they start asking just how much car do I really need and invariably
the big car loses out...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its good in a way though, it shows that they are not slashing prices. It does seem all a little inconsistent. Maybe he was looking at the new model with 6 speed?

It's irrellevant what he was looking at. It's a car that Ford didn't sell and Honda did.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
XR5 Focus is a small sporty car, not a medium car...

but I hear what you're saying.

Sticker shock hits and people cross shop the strangest choices,
they start asking just how much car do I really need and invariably
the big car loses out...
Mondeo would have been in the same category. But obviously the the 'friend' expected the car for nothing, or didn't wanna try another dealer if they really wanted the car.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

No, he wanted a Falcon, had a budget, got a better car. All he needs it for is driving to work one up.

BTW the Accord Euro is a 2.4 Litre. I've owned one - they are outstanding for the money. I've also spent plenty of time in Falcons over the years, commuting, towing, daily driving. I'd buy the Honda too.

To be fair though, never in an FG, only up to the BA, but at the time it was a 2003 Euro too.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mondeo would have been in the same category. But obviously the the 'friend' expected the car for nothing, or didn't wanna try another dealer if they really wanted the car.

Clearly you have trouble interpreting the English language.

I stated that he "went to several dealers". Also, when is $35k - $40K "nothing" for a G6? It's a Fairmont FFS. Look at what else is on the market for that money. The creature comforts win out in the competition. So does resale.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Clearly you have trouble interpreting the English language.

I stated that he "went to several dealers". Also, when is $35k - $40K "nothing" for a G6? It's a Fairmont FFS. Look at what else is on the market for that money. The creature comforts win out in the competition. So does resale.
Your friend had unrealistic expectations on the price of a car. Also some cars will have more features but will be deficient in other areas. Hopefully he's happy with his Honda.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #21
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I know for a fact that we registered a heap of cars as demos just before the end of the month. I wonder if other Holden dealers did the same.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, he wanted a Falcon, had a budget, got a better car. All he needs it for is driving to work one up.

BTW the Accord Euro is a 2.4 Litre. I've owned one - they are outstanding for the money. I've also spent plenty of time in Falcons over the years, commuting, towing, daily driving. I'd buy the Honda too.

To be fair though, never in an FG, only up to the BA, but at the time it was a 2003 Euro too.
So what you have posted is void. Well done.

On topic that is very disappointing figures from the Falcon. Shows how much of a difference discounts really make to sales figures. I hope Ford has more up their sleeve to give sales a much needed boost.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Brazen] Once they lose their 300-400 wagons a month, hmmm. [QUOTE]

I think the plan is to replace that production capability with more profitable models, i.e G6ET. It is still a minimum 8 week wait to order a turbo falcon from the factory.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
glavas

that guy saying a honda accord euro is better then a falcon haha no way friend. im a holden man but i would rather a falcon then a na 4 cylinder fwd slow tourqe steering peice of junk. "creature comforts " some people are just to picky.. be proud to buy a aussie car.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Are you sure it was a G6 and not a G6E?

I'm only asking because you could have bough the G6 Limited for $36,999 drive away for a while now. The G6 Limited comes with leather, 18' rims, and a few other extra's.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford's world wide sales rank puts the Falcon at 22nd position for June with 4,123 units

That must include the ute as well.

http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/sho...2832#post32832

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ford's world wide sales rank puts the Falcon at 22nd position for June with 4,123 units

That must include the ute as well.

http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/sho...2832#post32832
actually I think it is for May??

Very interesting list.. Goes to show how important "one Ford" is... Over 50 models world wide, is wwwwaaaayyyyy to many!! Also intersted Falcon in the top half (just).. There might just be life for it yet!!

Bad month for Falcon in june... Only 2600?? I guess all the demos registered in prior months were finally sold to customers this month??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Aah yes you're right it is for May :-|

But yeah, 2600 units is nothing to get excited about and the duplicity of platforms around the world for one company is just crazy:

1) World F-Series/Lobo - 49,858
2) World Focus - 44,873
3) World Fiesta - 39,412
4) World Fusion - 23,306
5) World Escape - 19,203
6) N.American Focus - 16,931
7) Edge - 13,660
8) Mondeo - 12,039
9) E-Series - 10,721
10) Transit - 10,567
11) Mustang - 10,227
12) Euro Ka - 9,800
13) L.American Fiesta - 6,951
14) N.American Ranger - 6,651
15) Taurus - 6,466
16) S.American Ka - 6,444
17) Figo - 6,237
18) C-Max - 5,900
19) Explorer - 5,677
20) Transit Connect - 5,415
21) Kuga - 4,600
22) Falcon - 4,123
23) EcoSport - 4,085
24) S-Max - 3,931
25) Flex - 3,855
26) Expedition - 3,714
27) Crown Victoria - 3,472
28) Mariner - 3,191
29) Euro Fusion - 3,090
30) Milan - 2,682
31) Grand Marquis - 2,335
32) L.American Ranger - 2,210
33) MkZ - 2,040
34) Galaxy - 1,900
35) MkX - 1,705
36) MkS - 1,554
37) World Ranger - 1,349
38) Territory - 1,199
39) Indian Fiesta/S.African Ikon - 1,196
40) Town Car - 1,122
41) Mountaineer - 920
42) MkT - 709
43) Bantam - 675
44) Navigator - 625
45) Courier - 544
46) S.American F-Series - 418
47) Indian Ikon - 400
48) Endeavor/Everest - 368
49) Heavy Trucks - 241
50) T4 - 91

Interesting to see that the Tore-*** in that particular month was only a couple of thousand ahead of the Falcon...in a much larger market.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #29
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your friend had unrealistic expectations on the price of a car. Also some cars will have more features but will be deficient in other areas. Hopefully he's happy with his Honda.

Rubbish. Unrealistic? For a G6? When they are throwing out XR6s for $35K? Most car dealers will play with price to some extent. My friend was happy to shell out $56K for a Prado 6 years ago, and he does his homework. He wanted a Ford, couldn't get any joy (he knew the sticker price) on a discount or additional extras, so at that point found a far better car for to suit his purposes for ten grand less.

Hardly rocket science is it? Of course he's happy with the Honda, who wouldn't be. He doesn't need to tow a boat. He wanted to buy a Ford, gave them a chance to sell him one, he gave up and looked else where.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
that guy saying a honda accord euro is better then a falcon haha no way friend. im a holden man but i would rather a falcon then a na 4 cylinder fwd slow tourqe steering peice of junk. "creature comforts " some people are just to picky.. be proud to buy a aussie car.

So you've spent a fair bit of time in the Honda then?

Just as I thought. In what way is a Falcon or a Commodore better than an Accord Euro for commuting to work one up? Or a Mazda 6, a Camry or a Focus?

FYI, the Accord Euro has a surprising amount of torque, steers pretty quickly and has build quality that leaves your Commodores & Falcons for dead.

Your ability to spell and punctuate tells me all I need to know. The fact that you are a 'Holden man' just cements it for me.