Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford's policy on oil leak in FG F6

I noticed a film of oil on the head next to the power steering pump on my FG F6 and a small pool on the garage floor. I took it to my local dealer and they agreed that their is a leak from the timing cover (due to over-length locating bolts.

This problem has been posted before, but I was astounded when they told me they had taken photos of the leak and forwarded them to Ford for "approval to be rectified". AND, if there had not been a drip hanging off the bodywork, then Ford would not pass it!!!

So much for their much vaunted “Customer Care”!!

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Gaz
Got Ghia?

so in short, if you have this problem splash some oil around the body work.

Wonder if Ford would pay for your yellow sticker to be removed if you got stickered for the oil leak?
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Ford warranty needs fixing.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would try another dealer , that is simply just not good enough on a new car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rang another dealer and they confirmed that this is Ford's policy.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Simply remarkable policy...... I can't think of a single reason why they would not re-visit a warranty policy such as this.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

In most warranty situations it will be leakage or seepage, if it is seepage then most manufacturers will not do any thing.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oil leaks mean car is Un-roadworthy so must be fixed ,
How can they refuse,this is A Currant Affair type item
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

dont take it on the chin Pedro, My Father in laws XR6T had a small leak which Ford claimed was a weep and therefore not covered, my Father In law started ranting off to the dealer principal in front of prospective customers in the show room, amazingly they fixed it under waranty.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Another way is to take it to an independent workshop and get a road worthy certificate. When I got the AU done to sell it I had to fix any oil leaks. I can not see how Ford can decline a warranty claim on a new car when the fault has been reported on a RWC.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

All these FGs springing oil leaks, seriously the engine is basically as old as Noah so how can they still not get this right. We had two BA Turbos, and a BF F6 turbo and none of them have leaked anything at all, and one of the BA we had to close to 100,000km.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
All these FGs springing oil leaks, seriously the engine is basically as old as Noah so how can they still not get this right. We had two BA Turbos, and a BF F6 turbo and none of them have leaked anything at all, and one of the BA we had to close to 100,000km.
No offence mcnews but this is just a small problem in the grand scheme of things. I can guarantee you that ford would have liked for this not to happen, but it's merely some bolts that are a little too long on the timing cover. This seems to be the only common area for leaks, and the remedy is simply to take the bolts out, cut them down 5mm and use again. It's not a case of bad casting or poor design, it's simply some bolts that are a couple of mm too long. Other than that these engines are absolutely fantastic; even the tune up guys are using the heads and piping from the FG's. G6 owners like myself are getting between 240rwkw - 250rwkw on the dyno stock; much more than fords official figures (something about the V8 being perceived as the boss and ergo, top of the fpv pecking order).

What is pertinent though, is whether or not the boys at Geelong are using smaller bolts for the timing cover now?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sounds like you deal with the worse dealer in QLD...

They sound as helpful as a bunch of nunns in a brothel.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

This is normal policy for Mitsubishi too. Must be a proper leak. I'd imagine all manufacturers are the same not just a Ford thing.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Trade Practices Act trumps internal policy
Old 18-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
What is pertinent though, is whether or not the boys at Geelong are using smaller bolts for the timing cover now?
Exactly. Same as they are probably still putting the failing tailshaft in the utes...
Old 19-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
No offence mcnews but this is just a small problem in the grand scheme of things. I can guarantee you that ford would have liked for this not to happen, but it's merely some bolts that are a little too long on the timing cover. This seems to be the only common area for leaks, and the remedy is simply to take the bolts out, cut them down 5mm and use again. It's not a case of bad casting or poor design, it's simply some bolts that are a couple of mm too long. Other than that these engines are absolutely fantastic; even the tune up guys are using the heads and piping from the FG's. G6 owners like myself are getting between 240rwkw - 250rwkw on the dyno stock; much more than fords official figures (something about the V8 being perceived as the boss and ergo, top of the fpv pecking order).

Funny how most of the leaks started happening since they ditched the gaskets and started using silicon to seal it to save money.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Funny how most of the leaks started happening since they ditched the gaskets and started using silicon to seal it to save money.
Didn't know that about the gaskets, I was told it was just the bolts.

Quote: