Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Traineeships?

Hi, i'm currently doing year 12 at the moment and as a lot of people are i'm considering what to do next year. I was considering doing a certificate IV or Diploma of Multimedia but I would have to find a place to stay in Melbourne and a job to pay for it. At my town it's an absolute sh*thole with very few people to ask so I thought I might aswell ask here.

It's become apparent to me that I may do this course as an apprentiship or traineeship and hopefully get paid whilst training. My question is has anybody ever done this before? or does anybody know how much the pay is whilst doing a traineeship? does it increase each year?

Don't worry i'm not being greedy lol, I just want to know when I can afford to move there :

Cheers Glenn

Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
Hi, i'm currently doing year 12 at the moment and as a lot of people are i'm considering what to do next year. I was considering doing a certificate IV or Diploma of Multimedia but I would have to find a place to stay in Melbourne and a job to pay for it. At my town it's an absolute sh*thole with very few people to ask so I thought I might aswell ask here.

It's become apparent to me that I may do this course as an apprentiship or traineeship and hopefully get paid whilst training. My question is has anybody ever done this before? or does anybody know how much the pay is whilst doing a traineeship? does it increase each year?

Don't worry i'm not being greedy lol, I just want to know when I can afford to move there :

Cheers Glenn
For the vast majority of traineeships you'll be paid while you're learning, and that pay will go up every year, it either goes on your age or how long you stay there. BUT, be warned - traineeship $$ is often very, very low, and there isn't much you can do about it.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Thanks for the quick reply, by low do you mean similar to a 1st year apprentice around 100 a week or is it even less than that?
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
Thanks for the quick reply, by low do you mean similar to a 1st year apprentice around 100 a week or is it even less than that?
Usually a traineeship will be shorter than an apprenticeship - your average traineeship lasts about 2 years, and from memory, assuming your employer pays you traineeship wages (99% of them will), you're looking at about $200/wk depending on age.

My last job i was on a set salary of $500/wk (I'm 19), and I was doing a traineeship. Had I have not been on a salary I would have been on a bit over half that.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

After I finished year 12, I wanted a year off between high school & uni, and also wanted to work for A) experience and B) so I'd get my foot in the door for a steady income during my uni years.

I scored a traineeship at a Coles store. It was a 12 month term, and I worked my *** off for $6.29 an hour (38 hour weeks). Shifts were all over the place, and ya often get the crappy jobs to do. When I started my uni course, I switched to part time & have a constant, secure income. 1.5 days a week = $200 after tax, which pays off my HECS as I go plus I can have $ set aside for the EB or other interests (I am currently living back with my folks, and intend to do so until I complete my course).

Last year I lived in my own house with the ex. Things were a bit tight, with me driving a V8 and her smoking cones (yuck) & being unemployed, but I was able to survive off $200 a week plus whatever she'd get from centrelink. I wasn't able to pay off any HECS debts last year, but I made up for all that this year now that I'm back with the folks

I 100% recommend taking a year or two off to undertake a traineeship, as it'll give you an alternative skill that you can fall back on (or you may find you prefer that to your uni qualification later on in the future).

On top of that, if I was given the opportunity to leave uni for a year or two now (I'm 3/4 thru my course) for work experience as a semi-qualified engineer in some remote place (say north west WA), I'd take it in a heartbeat!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

When i done my traineeship i started on $230 a week in the hand from memory. It was only a year long. As soon as i finished pay went up considerably. Now they pay for my Uni degree which i'm doing externally, part time while working for them full time and getting full time wages.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I took up a traineeship after I left Year 12. It was the best thing I did as far as opening up future career/uni options, without the HECS bill.

As I remember it the pay scale was based on how old you were. Onto full time adult wages into the final few months of the 12 month traineeship filling a position that the traineeship set me up for. Four years later in finalising what I really wanted to do at uni that work experience was accepted as 'relevant experience attained' launching straight into a Master's Degree.

I thought I'd only use the traineeship as a backup to what I wanted to do with my uni qualification. Turns out, it's the other way around as things are going at present.