Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Default not so random breath tests

Ok I just thought I'd post a thread to see if anyone else has gone through something like this. I drive alot on weekends cause I love driving I can't stop. My first car was a typical first car little, old and cheap. It was road worthy it went but it was the type of car you'd only want as a first cause it was a hyundai. To me back then i thought cops were just somthing you had to put up with a nigyht time because it wasn't unusal to be pulled over once or twice a night if not more. I never hooned or anything (couldn't if I tried) was never in the wrong when I got pulled over was just an RBT or a License check and the cops would always search my car and look for any alchol or drugs and take their time while they were at it.

Now since I got my new car I still do the exact same stuff cruise around with a mate in the car etc. etc. I have been pulled over once in three months of driving this ute. And that one time was when my window was down and the cops saw how young I was while I was doing a u-turn then they did the breath test background check asked who's car it was etc.etc then searched it.

Why must cops target kids so much I've seen kids drink drive and all that but I've seen alot and I mean alot more of the older generation (mostly tradey's haha) drink drive and be idiot's.

It's like cops target youths because they're so easy to get I can't get over how hard we get treated. If they were this hard on all the generations, licenses would be a thing only lucky people would have.
:

I'm in Qld so I don't need P-plates on my car but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or has maybe gotten their open's and removed the p-plates.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in regards to pulling you over in the hyundai. my mate kept getting pulled over in his little mazda. Had no idea why. he got pulled over more in the mazda than his XE (which had a loud as 351 :S). One night he asked a cop why he got pulled over, and he said its because he looked suspicious. Most dealers these days drive around in shitty cars while working apparently.
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

i drive an AU Fairmont. and NEVER get pulled over for licence checks or anything. RBT's sure, everyone gets pulled over.

even when the cops can see my p-plates, behind tinted glass (illegal) and hear the exhaust, they still leave me alone.

the joys of driving a grandpa car.
Old 22-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Simmo
White Lightning

I don't know what the problem is. For my first year on the road i drove mums '89 mazda 626 auto that couldnt pull the skin off soup. got busted by a speed trap while in it, but never pulled up randomly. For the last 3 years i've had the XR6 and for the last year the exhaust has been at an illegal level. I've gone through speed traps, RBTs and passed cops all over Brisbane with no real ramifications.

I even got pulled up for giving it a squirt down an alley with the new exhaust. I even got to 70 in a 50 i think. It was loud as hell thanks to a wall on the other side but the cop just asked a few questions, did a walk around and let me go. I get asked for ID pretty often though for a 21 year old and everyone says i look about 17, so maybe they think im a little innocent kid.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Mmmmm,doesnt seem to be a problem here in s.a. im 23 mainly owned old fords xw's etc and the only time iv ever come into contact with the police is driving through a random breath test, never been targeted or pulled over once.
From my experience most people who attract police attention in s.a. ask for it, in there piece of **** commies with 22 inch wheels and subwoofer

But obviously you have had differant experiences where you live.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Nashy86

i used to get pulled up in my old commodore, it was a bog stock vp wagon with peeling paint and if it ever went to the drags it wouldn't have been able to even do a one footed burnout in the water before the start line.
Since that got written off and I got my EB, which pulls harder, is manual, lowered etc. (basically much more of a "hoon" car than the wagon ever could have been, both in looks and the way it runs) I haven't been pulled up at all.

Interestingly I used to borrow a mates vl since it was on gas, vl manual with fairly loud exhaust, hubcaps and a shagged motor and it was a magnet, it pulled cops like the XR8 ute pulled the chicks on the old "pulling power" adds!
(this is NOT a vl or a cop bashing comment, just an observation)
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Nickxb
XB in progress

I got pulled over a few times with my first car a telstar tx5 but I have a BA xr6 now and i havent been pulled over in a long time or even at a RBT, they just waive me through. I live in brissy and I have never had those sorts of problems.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
davonafairlane
Fairlane 4eva

Its funny you should say that, i live in victoria and always if i get a RBT (wasnt really random with P-plates) Id get a license check. Never been drug searched. Got pulled over alot in my frist year, not for hooning or anything.
davonafairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol, ive been pulled over half a dozen times driving my old beater around over the last 12 months. In the EF, i was pulled over once (and defected lol).

But hey... its their mandate... and i have nothing to hide.
Old 22-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
flukey77

Well I've just come off my P's in QLD and I can count the number of times I have been RBT on two hands. I drive a torana with a rusty paint job and loud exhaust (wouldnt have a clue if its illegal or not) and cops have generally been pretty good with me. I usually only ever get pulled over if its late and i have drunk mates in the car (im usually DD), but ive never been searched, never more than a licence check. I even drove away from a DD one night with my lights turned off cause the street was well lit and i didnt realise, the cops werent even worried, didnt chase me or anything. The only sketchy thing was once when i drove past a cop car so they swung around and followed me through this area where its easy to speed, then pulled me over for an RBT at the end of the speed zone.

Last edited by flukey77; 22-05-2007 at 09:50 AM.
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
TUF514
Banned

In Qld im petitioning to change the RBT to DBT.

Discriminative Breath Test.

To those that say if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about - It's time to wake up.

QLD cops are unbelievable.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF514
In Qld im petitioning to change the RBT to DBT.

Discriminative Breath Test.

To those that say if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about - It's time to wake up.

QLD cops are unbelievable.
Do you mean in Gladstone?
Old 22-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
holmsy
Banned

i havent been pulled over since september last year when i got my P's half of that was driving a bright green new xr6. the other driving an ed futura.
the whole time iv never taken off from the lights slowly.

even at breath test stations where they stop most cars. i got waved through.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
AUIIForte

Hay dishpig (Thread starter)... You know how they searched your car, well did you know that you can say you don't want your car to be searched, and they will not be allowed too.

When ever you believe they are about to ask or say anything about searching you, or your car, you can just say "Sorry, I do not consent to searches". And they will not be allowed to do anything. UNLESS they see some drugs or a gun or something in plain view inside your car, or unless you get arrested.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
holmsy
Banned

another one of those. if you have nothing to hide dont hide.

if you refuse a search they are just gana get sus and try and get you for something else like road worthy so they can search anyway.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy

if you refuse a search they are just gana get sus and try and get you for something else like road worthy so they can search anyway.
Agreed 100%, no better way to make them target you than to make them sus of you by refusing a search or anything like that.
Old 22-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just amazed by some how they select cars to pull in. As we all know RBTs can be used as an opportunity for a quick vehicle check too.

On the way home from the coast they let plenty of old buckets pass by but soon as they see me they wave me in. Mum reckons they just wanted to see how old I was to be driving my car.

It's only random to an extent. Meh car is roady worthy and I don't drive drunk but still hate stopping especially when all the cars I overtook now go past me. :
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #18
Gunns
Banned

I got random breath tested last Thursday, but it wasn’t that random because they followed me from the pub. What would have been random, is if I was testing them,……………………… and we were all naked,…………………………….. instead of just me.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #19
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Hay dishpig (Thread starter)... You know how they searched your car, well did you know that you can say you don't want your car to be searched, and they will not be allowed too.

When ever you believe they are about to ask or say anything about searching you, or your car, you can just say "Sorry, I do not consent to searches". And they will not be allowed to do anything. UNLESS they see some drugs or a gun or something in plain view inside your car, or unless you get arrested.
Im no law expert but I dont think thats correct anymore.

All they need is reasonable suspicion and they can search you AND your car.

I think you are heading down the 'they must have a search warrant' track and I dont believe its the same application here.

I used to live in Townsville, worked shiftwork, which would often see me driving my coupe at odd hours through the city/nightclub strip.

EVERY Friday and Saturday night I'd be pulled over and breathalysed. I'd even ask for the little white mouthpeice they usually discard after the test just to get my own collection going - just to prove to others (and also mock the coppers a little) just how often I was tested.

I was always sober - just finished work. Dressed in shorts and shirt (coz uniforms were supplied) and they still thought id been out clubbing. In shorts and shirt!

Even had one policewoman whom I went to school with - after breathlysing me said something like "why are you driving a hoon car like this?".

So knowing how much ive been pulled over and breathlysed (not RBTs either) - dishpig I dont reckon you've been targetted much at all?!!
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i drive an AU Fairmont. and NEVER get pulled over for licence checks or anything. RBT's sure, everyone gets pulled over.

even when the cops can see my p-plates, behind tinted glass (illegal) and hear the exhaust, they still leave me alone.

the joys of driving a grandpa car.
My previous car was a BA fairmont which I drove on my Ps. I Never got pulled over either. Thumbs up for the Grandpa cars! The cops never suspect them .
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cops target youths because they cant be trusted, just like coles calls security checks when bogan looking people come in the shop.... its life

ive had a skyline R33 GTS-T before my falcon, every time window was down and a cop saw me it was all on, get the falcon ive had one RBT and a fine for doing an illegal u-turn (my fault anyways)

thing is statistically young people driving is dangerous, add into it another young person or powerful car (even if you may not think so) its the worst combination

take the not so RBT's on the chin, itll probably save your life one day

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte

Yeah a mate of mine tried that (don't know why) he had his mum's car and told them that then they broke out that according to section bla bla bla I can search your car because it aint yours.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #23
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

My daughter (17) has had her license for about 7 months. She has been pulled over 6 times for a RBT. Apparently driving a suzuki vitara with "P" (persecution plates) makes here a high risk of offending.... I'm still trying to work that one out. I reckon the cops just want a chat and a perve. I am thinking that I should be writing a letter of complaint to the police commisioner. But we all know how effective that would be.
Old 22-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #24
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Since getting my P plates ive only been pulled over once (Not including RBT's were the cops are setup on the side of the road). And neither of my friends frequently get pulled over even the ones driving 07 WRX and 07 GT Spec B.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #25
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy

No. Just having "Suspicion" is not enough for a Police officer to take on a search. And they are taught to make you think they are allowed too. They will lie and deceive you to make you agree with the search.

Also, it has nothing to do with the "Search warrant" thing. Thats a different subject.

What Dishpig said about his friend getting searched, and him not consenting, then the cops saying because its not his car 'blah blah blah', they are allowed to search it, Is a very fine example of how police officers will lie and deceive you to get what they want. They get trained to do this...

Just say no...
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #26
Choca
Falcon Owner

I was pulled over for "random" breath test 4 times in a span of 1 hour about 6 months ago, here in canberra if your cars has mags or is lowered you'll get pulled over all the time!

My last car was a telstar tx5 stock as a rock and I never got pulled over! :(
Choca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post