Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 25-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Test and Tune days....

Are these open to the public and do they time your runs?

Whats the difference between a Test and Tune day and a normal drag day like Fri Calder?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Sunday Test and Tune days are far, FAR superior to something like Calders "friday night timewasting with the odd drag".
Yes you are timed at Heathcote on TnT days. You will also have a lot less cars to hold you up. Much more help from the track owners (Russ and Jo are fantastic and out there to help). More help from the people there racing (most will offer good advice when asked and have a great laugh with you).

Overall the Heathcote TnT Sundays are so much better than the Calder rice grinder on a friday night its not funny.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Thumbs up HEATHCOTE All the Way...

I'm all for Heathcote.
Friday was my first trip to Calder for drags.
Very UNIMPRESSED... Need to get a wheel alignment after taking that return track back to the pits... :

I go to the Sunday TNT once a month, was there with the AU on Sunday 5th August. Arrived at 11am, left at 3pm. Got 18 runs... THAT'S value for your $40, and you don't have to sell a kidney to buy something for lunch at the canteen... :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where is the best place to fill up close by?

Is there a United (I currently run BOOST 98) or Mobil (Synergy 8000 is my alternative) station near by or should I carry a 20L jerry can?

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 25-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Wallan has a United with the 98 Boost, its not to far from the track.
Otherwise, take a jerry with you. (That's what I've been doing).

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
rodderz

Heathcote is a lot more relaxed to...you can sit and watch for a while, then drive your car literally 100-150m to have a race

The only downside is that if you're prepared to punt your car pretty hard it's a long way home if you're from Melbourne and you've driven up then broken something when racing
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn that is food for thought. I was going to do a track day at Winton in Oct but now having second thoughts.

Just say if something went wrong, what do most people do? Its 150kms out of Melb and a tow truck would cost a bomb?!

Rides (past and present)

Old 26-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
XRQTR
TBA Customs

LOL do what I did and buy one, save money on paying for towing

Went to Heathcote today and broke something, maybe a CV, then just threw her back on the truck (ok winched her up LOL) and went home.

As for towing from Heathcote or Winton, we could work out a good price, done it for a few folks off the forums and the rates were reasonable, considering it was a Sunday as well.

But ye Heathcote is the go for a venue with atmosphere, you are right in the thick of the action even as a spectator hanging over the fence LOL, walking through the pits and actually being able to have a conversation with those racing. Russ is always good with some advice of you're not too sure about things, try getting that from mangaement let alone the owners of Calder.

Last edited by XRQTR; 26-08-2007 at 10:39 PM.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Heathcote is so relaxed, far friendlier that Calder and on a non event test n tune day you get as many runs as you like.
Old 31-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
as_fordman
Starter Motor

Also id like to add that u can also have a passenger in the vehicle on a test and tune day, which u will never be able to do at calder park.
as_fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

New HPR Calendar is up for the test and tune dates.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=69899

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
supakel351

do cars have to be registered? and is a ANDRA tech acceptable in lou of rego?
supakel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I bit the bullet and went down this afternoon. Turned out to be a waste of time without slicks. There were only about 10 runners so had plenty of opportunity but it was useless without slicks. No matter how softly I tried to launch I'd get wheel spin in 1st and 2nd all the way. I felt like starting in 3rd lol. It was more slippery than street tarmac. They obviously didn't go through alot of effort with the sticky stuff for a T&T day.
Managed a best of 14.1. A couple of my runs reached 102.5 MPH with one reaching 103.5 MPH. Haven't registered those figures before, so I know the power is there....just couldn't get it to the ground.

All the cars there ran slicks / semi slicks so they must have known. I met one fellow with a Golf GTi and he was spinning the front wheels in 3rd, which he said never use to happen.

Rides (past and present)

Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #14
cole trickle

Hey full throttle i was there today aswell, awsome how there was only a handful of people running,

I was driving my silver Xr6t, your right about the poor track prep, i think you left before it got better with the afternoon sun, best i managed was 12.28@117mph had to pedal it off the line,
cole trickle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole trickle
Hey full throttle i was there today aswell, awsome how there was only a handful of people running,

I was driving my silver Xr6t, your right about the poor track prep, i think you left before it got better with the afternoon sun, best i managed was 12.28@117mph had to pedal it off the line,
Thats a great time. I saw you do your first run on street tyres then immediately chucked the slicks on lol.

I had about 8 - 10 runs then left as I didn't think it'd get any better. I was running just as good 60 foots with or without burnouts. It made absolutely no difference.

Maybe next time aim for a later start in the day. Great looking car by the way.

Rides (past and present)

Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
cole trickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
Thats a great time. I saw you do your first run on street tyres then immediately chucked the slicks on lol.

I had about 8 - 10 runs then left as I didn't think it'd get any better. I was running just as good 60 foots with or without burnouts. It made absolutely no difference.

Maybe next time aim for a later start in the day. Great looking car by the way.
I'd thought i'd try with the standard tyres first, i guess being the 2nd car down after they laid the VHT didn't help, me i was sideways in 3rd gear facing the wall, i nearly shat myself,

Next time you head up there drop me a pm and if i can i'll join you,

Cheers Dalesy
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #17
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool. I was the guinea pig for my mates. I'm trying to round them up to have a crack. There is a 200sx, Chrysler Valiant and VE SSV. Will let you know if/when we head up next.

Rides (past and present)

Old 03-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #18
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Drag racing needs good rubber, buying tyres is part of the complete package (part of your mods).
Street tyres and VHT don't mix well, many people go to a race track with street rubber and say they have more grip on the street.
Get your self a couple of cheap scratched up alloys $150 for 2 , by some M/T drag radials 16'' around $280 ea, if you don't go bananas on burnouts these will last you a couple of years or 6 to 8 meetings no worries.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #19
cole trickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
, by some M/T drag radials 16'' around $280 ea, if you don't go bananas on burnouts these will last you a couple of years or 6 to 8 meetings no worries.
Hey Spoolman, awesome result by you last week, when are you heading out next?

I had another set of worn treaded hoosier slicks i used for the rest of the day, i'm gonna retire these and get some M/T ET streets for next time, do you know of anywhere in melb that sells these?

Cheers Dalesy
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #20
crochunter
440cube Dart

How far is Heathcote from melbourne.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #21
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
How far is Heathcote from melbourne.
Their website reckons its ~135kms from the city centre.

To find exact distance go to whereis.com.au and punch in your address and Heathcote and it'll give you a better estimate.

Rides (past and present)