Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default Farewell time soon , for a while anyway !.

Hi guys/gals. It's been ages since i have been around these forums. As some of you already know i have had ongoing problems with sick family memebers of mine and my partners family for a long time now.
All is about to come to an end soon unfortunately ( family members passing away/ thats life ! ). In about 5 months maximum i will probaly be looking as selling my XR6 VCT 2000 model AU2 (as seen in these forums).
In a few months to come i will be selling up and travelling the sights around Australia for a year or so. Even though i dont want to sell the ford, i am thinking i am going to need something like a diesel 4wd to tow around my caravan for the year (im sure it would kill the ford ! - and i couldnt do it to it ! ).
So.... In a few months to come , more than likely my car wil be for sale 'VERY CHEAP !', so keep an eye out, i'll let you guys/gals know when first anyway;).

To top it off , thanks to everyone on these forums for all their help and loving in supporting such a great car, and kind regards to all the great people i met during the time on this forum etc. Hopefuly when i settle down somewhere in a year or so ( who knows where i'll end up ), then i'll be back here with another FORD . cheers guys , its been great. I'll inform you all about the car sale soon. cheers again.

:

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

While im on the topic of moving on etc etc , , has anyone here traveled around Australia before ?. The furthest from Vic i have been is to NSW when i was 19 , im now nearly 35 and sort of don't know what to expect, although im not stressed about it all.
Im planning on buying a diesel 4wd (even though i would love to keep the ford ) and a caravan. I realy cant decide to head north from vic first, or to the west way ( SA, NT, then WA etc etc. I plan on leaving in around Febuary to April next year, and don;t really know what to expect weather wise , depending which way i head first , any helpwould be appreciated. I also plan on doing lots of fishing ,so if anyone could recomend any good fishing spots that would be great ty .

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sounds like a heap of fun in front of you mate, all the best in the future. Ive had this thought in the back of my mind to do the exact same thing but am not in the situation finacially. If you get a chance post some pics of your trip when you go
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Ringo
I see you....

Seriously your Ford will make a great tow vehicle. Unless you need the 4x4 capability why not use the car you've got? It will not kill it, they are built a little more durable than that.

Good towing is about the setup and getting the weight centred correctly.

I would consider upgrading front brakes for slotted rotors, make sure the brake fuild is fresh to cope with long downhill runs and the heat that is generated....don't engine brake over foot brake - brakes are designed to stop, gears are designed to go.

Also fit the biggest auto oil cooler you could find PLUS when towing use third as your top gear, not fourth, to be kind to your auto. Third is 1:1 ratio and yes the torque convertor will still lock up....revs will sit slight only slightly higher and your fuel consuption is only going to marginally worse.

Fourth is an overdrive and does generate some heat within the auto. Not a problem 99% of the time but over extended periods could cause the oil to overheat.

Auto's are also great for low speed monoeuvering of the caravan and the number of Auto Diesel 4x4's around are not as plentiful as you might think plus they cost $$$$$

Sorry to hear of the family issues and glad that things are looking up....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id say head up to syd first, as u say youve done it before. make the first leg of the trip somewhat familiar so it doesnt make u hesitiant. plus the h/way to syd is a breeze now
Old 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

im sorry to hear

BUT, why sell you're ford? i have an AU and they are FANTASTIC for towing as ringo said, you'll only need a 4x4 if you plan to go offroad?!

my suggestion would be to keep you're AU, i use mine to tow caravans for work all the time, one of the reasons why we bought an AU!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

firstly, sorry to read of your families ill health.
I've just got back from the Eyre peninsula, South Australia (west coast) and the fishing is great.
I wont go on about it here, but check it out, use the internet. The coast between Ceduna, Streaky Bay and port Lincoln are a fishermans (fisherpersons?) dream.
there are a lot of camping spots, some on beaches, others more organised, once again check on the internet, or pm me if you wish.
one last spot I will suggest is Venus Bay, not far from Streaky Bay. if you can't catch something there (fish I mean) you are not trying!
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Good luck!

I suggest you install a UHF to the vehicle that will be towing the caravan. On the caravan at the rear - you can add large lettering vis "UHF 18", or whatever channel caravans sit on.

Folk can call you up and the UHF is great for road information etc.

Service the vehicle etc.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Thanks for all the kind regards and info everyone. I'll be sure to be posting pics along the trip on here for you all ;). I was thinking i would need a 4wd maybe ( i am looking at a turbo diesel ) to do some bush bashing while adventuring, besides that my car is at nearly 180,000 and i wouldn't want to risk it, yes it would probably make it ok and all - but after towing a caravan around for a year , the car would either be worth nothing/majorly or worn out probably.The money isnt a problem at the moment , so i think i will end up getting a turbo diesel.
I like that UHF idea for the caravan too , great idea. cheers

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 10-10-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
While im on the topic of moving on etc etc , , has anyone here traveled around Australia before ?. The furthest from Vic i have been is to NSW when i was 19 , im now nearly 35 and sort of don't know what to expect, although im not stressed about it all.
Im planning on buying a diesel 4wd (even though i would love to keep the ford ) and a caravan. I realy cant decide to head north from vic first, or to the west way ( SA, NT, then WA etc etc. I plan on leaving in around Febuary to April next year, and don;t really know what to expect weather wise , depending which way i head first , any helpwould be appreciated. I also plan on doing lots of fishing ,so if anyone could recomend any good fishing spots that would be great ty .
If you're going to the NT or the north of Qld and WA, just remember not to go in the wet season, too bloody hot, humid and wet.
The SW of WA is awesome in the summer months, then head north in the winter months.
Good luck, I tried going around Oz from Perth but only got as far as Darwin and ran out of time, I was on long service leave, and had to head home.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

my monty is sitting at about 284,000k'z and tows better than my 35,000k XR6T ...

but yeah .. channel 18 is tthe "travelers" channel :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Hmmmmm , i didnt consider the wet seasons in the north and west, ill have to check them out and keep thet in mind , thanks ;) .

Well i certianly wont be in an hurry to finish the trip as time in no factor either, once i find a place i like i will probaly go back there later and settle down and 'Retire' . Although im gonna need something later to keep me occupied , i can see my guitar building hobby and fishing going bigtime .

Thanks again everyone for the info so far, as i dont sorta know what to expect , as i have never had the oppertunity to do something like this ( and i thought i never would either ) . All this info gives me an idea what to google and checkout before heading off , cheers.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:40 AM   #13
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Hmmmmm , i didnt consider the wet seasons in the north and west, ill have to check them out and keep thet in mind , thanks ;) .

Well i certianly wont be in an hurry to finish the trip as time in no factor either, once i find a place i like i will probaly go back there later and settle down and 'Retire' . Although im gonna need something later to keep me occupied , i can see my guitar building hobby and fishing going bigtime .

Thanks again everyone for the info so far, as i dont sorta know what to expect , as i have never had the oppertunity to do something like this ( and i thought i never would either ) . All this info gives me an idea what to google and checkout before heading off , cheers.
we used to own a caravaning business, and there are alot of things you have too look for and at when purchasing one if you don't already have 1! ...

i used to sell caravans before we closed our company, feel free to PM me with any questions or queries that might bother you about what to look out for when buying ... i know all the tricks ay :P ;) :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know how much you are thinking of spending on a rig but the "Fifth wheel" set up is gaining in popularity and has a lot of advantages.
In case you don't know it is like a prime mover set up where you have a turntable on the back of a ute and thats what you hook you're van onto. Much easier for towing, no sway, and easy to back up and hook up and unhook. Just a thought.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
EA2BA
PM me if you want

This may help, and they are still active on the forums.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=105996

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Travelling anticlockwise (if circling Australia) will save on fuel, as the winds across the nullabor typically travel from Perth to Adelaide.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont buy a rodeo to tow your caravan we have had these at work and they get very bad fuel economy the new ones are better and have a lot more power but the ones we have had previously in the last few years leave a lot to be desired.

We can get better economy out of landcruisers patrols and hiluxes.

We even had one rodeo diesel turbo that would get the same fuel economy on the highway as one of the blokes 6cylinder petrol falcons got around town .
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
Cam
Stroking it...

best of luck with it mate, my mum is travelling australia atm and she has a 2001 V8 cruiser that manages to pull (and more importantly STOP) her huge ($100k odd) caravan. (cant remember the exact length, either way its huge! lol) Mum has pacies and a zorst on her cruiser so it sounds pretty nice and doesn't go too badly either!

If your after any advice on where to/not to go drop me a PM and i'll give ya mums details cuz she has been on the road for 2 years and is only 1/2 around oz, so i am sure she could be of assistance
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Expect some PM's soon ). I was just watching a set of videos on youtube of someone touring australia with their father http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ling+australia , nice tour they had too by the looks of it. Watching the videos i must say i am gob smacked and cant wait. Although watching these videos 'i'll admit' made me a bit sad , as i would of loved to of toured Australia with my parents before they became sick etc :( . Gee time passes fast and , this is something i realy wish i could of done with them.
Anyway, ill be sure to be taking a video camera and digital camera and shooting everything possible .

Old 17-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #20
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Well it realy feels like its all starting to come together now, sorta !. I've been packing stuff away and giving heaps of stuff away ( fridge , washing machine , couch etc etc ).

Im off to the Melbourne exhibition buildings this weekend for the 'Fishing, caravan and 4wd' expo, im going to have a look around at the carvans and 4wd's mainly ( although i am a mad fisherman ..lol).

I've been making a list of the things im am going to need to make this a comfortable trip. Things on my list so far are: 4wd, Caravan, UHF radio, permanent incar GSP, mp3 stereo/player, a laptop with wireless Australia wide internet access, first aid kits, alot of tools and kits for quick repairs etc if required, slr camera , digital cam recorder, heaps of fishing rods of all sorts etc , anything else anyone can think off ? ( apart from the basics ) ? , cheers.

Old 17-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #21
Scott

LPG, Fuel & Water bottles, grab a GPS Unit (GSP can be unreliable ;)), spare spare wheels - not only tow vehicle but the van too, extension lead & hose for van parks, some blocks for levelling the van when you pull up stumps for a while, a real jack, spare hoses/belts and a good hat ......
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 02:32 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Air compressor (12v one) and some tyre sealant too, just in case.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 02:42 AM   #23
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Ah, nice thinking guys, ( i did actually mean GPS ), but i didnt think of the extension leads and the hose for water at the parks !, leveling blocks and spare hoses and belts. Also the air compressor and tyre sealant are a good idea too. All have been added to my list , cheers ;) . Great stuff /

Old 17-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #24
Scott

Oh, how could I forget??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
PURCHASE OFFICIAL FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: A92SX 19F524AA. This is a European/UN standard hazard-warning triangle, designed to improve the initial-alert-warning - given to approaching traffic at crash scenes (to prevent secondary), and breakdowns!! Store in the boot area. Exceeds performance of AS3790 & is accepted under it! See your local Ford dealer for this $46 safety item AND when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles...esafe_part4.pdf
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #25
fordxrtfan

Quote:
Ah, nice thinking guys, ( i did actually mean GPS ), but i didnt think of the extension leads and the hose for water at the parks !, leveling blocks and spare hoses and belts. Also the air compressor and tyre sealant are a good idea too. All have been added to my list , cheers ;) . Great stuff /
If your thinking of buying a 4WD you cant beat the old landcruiser.
We just purchased an 80 series deisel and are in the process of getting all the gear on it as we are headed up to Cape York next year.
If you plan on doing 4Wd etc dont forget your recovery gear

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
Phase 3 kit, installed & tuned by Autotech 332rwkw
!!FOR SALE!!
fordxrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post