Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #61
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Are we talking the SAS here or the weekend warriors... (Army reserve....).?
BIG difference...

The SAS are "elite", and on a global scale too, no two ways about it, we don't hear about 99.9% of what they do, most wont even admit to being in the SASR...
Talking about regular infantry.

I have no doubt the SAS are elite. I was training for the SAS at one point I got myself to entry standard fitness test and then was told that is the minimum and they have to improve on that. Damn! :togo:
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #62
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think he was doing the same as me and asking if Boostef was saying that the SASR arent elite.. I sure hope he wasnt.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #63
Teflon Turbo
Banned

There was a battle in Afghanistan where SAS-R Soldiers where fighting, they were fighting so long and so hard, as they new they would, they didn't have time to stop and re-hydrate or rest. So this is how they roll. Permanent IV Drip in the arm, (DURING BATTLES MIND YOU) to receive all the nutrition and hydration they require to keep on fighting for several hours at a time. Such is the level of the SAS-R.
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #64
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Talking about regular infantry.

I have no doubt the SAS are elite. I was training for the SAS at one point I got myself to entry standard fitness test and then was told that is the minimum and they have to improve on that. Damn! :togo:
Its not uncommon to fail people on their first (and sometimes second) go to check their resilience and determination..
Its difficult to compare the different special services regiments from different parts of the world, all are exposed and trained to handle different types of conditions and situations based on their Countries requirements..

Old 11-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #65
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
First year at uni, I boarded with a family and the father had been in the army for years and years. Commenting on the Ghurkas he said that out in the jungle during the night without having heard or seen a thing you would feel a blade pressed up against your throat and a hand that felt the badges on your uniform, checking to see if you were an ally or not.
heard that one from a couple of guys, ex grunts too

also heard of bunker where the occupants woke up with thier bootlaces tied together, or just one left alive...... top notch psychological warfare
Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #66
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
With those uniforms I'd be more scared bending over infront of them then having a gun fight.
Many Euro countries are more than 200 years old so have more elaborate uniforms than Aus or USA.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #67
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'm a grunt and i don't know what other people are on about, the infantry iet's havn't changed since 2001, yes recruit camp has but not inf iet's.

Was on a exercise with sas and we were digging our pits and had 3 on watch in our section. one of the boys had a brew and a sas managed to crawl up drink all his brew and leave without being noticed.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post