Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #31
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run my car in 100% full street trim. 95 RON, full weight (nothing removed at all), street tyre pressures and half tank of petrol. Most importantly, I ran my PB in 22C ambient temperature. I wouldn't be satisfied if I could only run my best time in freezing cold conditions that I would rarely encounter in everday driving.

Any car can be made fast by removing things, I remember a 17 second 4cyl car running a 14 after all sorts of things had been removed. I don't believe in weight reduction, but if you want to go down that path you should at least mention that your car was of a reduced weight when you ran your PB. Everybody is free to have their own opinion though.

I have no problem with hi-powered cars using MTs and the like as they actually need to get the power to the ground.

Last edited by 3; 07-05-2008 at 07:35 PM.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #32
protd
TUFF FORDS

weight reduction is free HP use it a say..

if your too lazy to pull a few things out of the car, it's really your own problem..

at the end of the day it's a option thats available to everyone, it's not a forbiden option only available to the select few...
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #33
MRHELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd

if your too lazy to pull a few things out of the car, it's really your own problem..

at the end of the day it's a option thats available to everyone, it's not a forbiden option only available to the select few...
Exactly!
MRHELE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #34
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
My car has them on as my true street tyre.I have driven in them in the rain aswell.There is a few friends of mine that run them on there streeters full time aswell.Don't know what all the hype is about them being dangerous actually i find them to be better than any street tyre i have used before.
I don't want to keep argueing about these tyres being legal or illegal ect..... this isn't the subject if you feel there not safe don't use them it's simple really.
Ive got 2 defect notices because of running M/T radials,they are NOT legal,and for good reason.
When you get some alloy heads Alex you'll know why
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #35
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower

If someone strips their car and achieves a goal, then awesome. If they elect to do it in street trim, also awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
what you do to achieve your numbers, as long as your honest about it.
Chris & Wade, I agree with both of you, throw in the words fun and enjoyment and thats what its all about..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #36
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My car has them on as my true street tyre.I have driven in them in the rain aswell.There is a few friends of mine that run them on there streeters full time aswell.Don't know what all the hype is about them being dangerous actually i find them to be better than any street tyre i have used before.
I don't want to keep argueing about these tyres being legal or illegal ect..... this isn't the subject if you feel there not safe don't use them it's simple really.
Cool, just remind me to stay away from you when its wet as the are dangerous in the wet but hey thats your choice isnt it.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #37
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd

Very well said there mate, hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #38
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Ive got 2 defect notices because of running M/T radials,they are NOT legal,and for good reason.
When you get some alloy heads Alex you'll know why
Stuff the alloys i rather rip out my interior, cheaper and faster without even making more HP. e man what has happen to that good ol fashion streeter, seems to me those days are gone. :
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #39
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Cool, just remind me to stay away from you when its wet as the are dangerous in the wet but hey thats your choice isnt it.
Don't stress you can hop in instead atleast i'll have my seats in the car.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #40
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't stress you can hop in instead atleast i'll have my seats in the car.
WTF ???? :
Old 08-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #41
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
man what has happen to that good ol fashion streeter, seems to me those days are gone.
So are you saying you DOB is 7/5/08. As its been going on for a long long time buddy, whats up that rock a bit heavy.
Mate are you one of those people thats gets there nickers in a knot when someone parts there hair different to eveyone else, seems that way, like serously why do you get so upset what other people do, just dont understand.
People choose to do certain things to there own cars for there own reasons and enjoyment why bag them, unless you dont have anything better to do. Am I right, mmmmm.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #42
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
So are you saying you DOB is 7/5/08. As its been going on for a long long time buddy, whats up that rock a bit heavy.
Mate are you one of those people thats gets there nickers in a knot when someone parts there hair different to eveyone else, seems that way, like serously why do you get so upset what other people do, just dont understand.
People choose to do certain things to there own cars for there own reasons and enjoyment why bag them, unless you dont have anything better to do. Am I right, mmmmm.
I thought this thread was started to express your views anyway, i'm not fussed, do as you please.I have made my point about stripped out street cars and you made yours move on like the rest of the herd.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE

Last edited by HEMI POWER; 08-05-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #43
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought this thread was started to express your views anyway, i'm not fussed, do as you please.I have made my point about stripped out street cars and you made yours move on.
All good and well to have you view but bagging people for doing there own thing becomes a different story.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #44
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Stuff the alloys i rather rip out my interior, cheaper and faster without even making more HP. e man what has happen to that good ol fashion streeter, seems to me those days are gone. :
Dunno about that mate,the alloy combos sure seem to be provng themselves lately.
These days they take your car for street racing anyway,they took a 200k GT just up the road the other night,so whats the big deal with street weight,as for me personally I race my car exactly how it drives on the street for circuit racing,and just fit slicks for the drags,even then I cant get traction.
If I could be stuffed stripping the car I would,but I suffer from extreme lethargy most of the time :P
But good on those that do it,it makes no difference to me,shouldnt to anyone either,as long as you know the race weight you can see how well its doing.
The only time I take issue,is with some clowns that sand bag the weight they run at..
Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #45
shanegh

so should we add weight to a car to even things up when you have a driver like me who is a skinny f*cker ??
shanegh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #46
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

I consider taking my car to the drag strip as a sporting event. Although only competing against myself, this form of motor sport is great fun, especially now that I do not participate in any other form of sports, unlike when I was younger.

I have invested a lot of money into my car's performance and more to come. For me, the FPV GT is one of the best looking modern muscle cars on the market, so I do not mind feeding my dollars into this baby. Therefore the drag strip is the best place to reap the benefits of my invested dollar and improve my driving ability.

So I'm not too fazed on the street trim scenario and what others think of my times and speed. End of the day, I am not driving on street conditions but on a prepared drag strip surface, whereby I can add heat into my tyres before launching (try that on the street and good bye car). I will do what ever it takes to experience the thrill of getting my daily driver down that strip in super quick time, even if it's stripped butt naked.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #47
JP300+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
there are only two types of cars on the strip. Quick cars and slow cars.

This isn't super stock in ANDRA running BMS with a 9.45lb per cube and a 250page rule book. until it is, run whatever you have, and claim your time for your mods.

If someone strips their car and achieves a goal, then awesome. If they elect to do it in street trim, also awesome.

The whining in Australia should stop - a quick visit to the USA will have many of you gobsmaked at just how SLOW our cars really are.

I'll be happy to strip my cars, as im not running against other bosses until i see another quick one - im after holdens.

I have to agree with you but hate when people claim standard this and standard that but do not state the real mods...
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #48
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP370
I consider taking my car to the drag strip as a sporting event. Although only competing against myself, this form of motor sport is great fun, especially now that I do not participate in any other form of sports, unlike when I was younger.

I have invested a lot of money into my car's performance and more to come. For me, the FPV GT is one of the best looking modern muscle cars on the market, so I do not mind feeding my dollars into this baby. Therefore the drag strip is the best place to reap the benefits of my invested dollar and improve my driving ability.

So I'm not too fazed on the street trim scenario and what others think of my times and speed. End of the day, I am not driving on street conditions but on a prepared drag strip surface, whereby I can add heat into my tyres before launching (try that on the street and good bye car). I will do what ever it takes to experience the thrill of getting my daily driver down that strip in super quick time, even if it's stripped butt naked.
Well said, possibly the most sensible post i have read this year.

Cheers Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #49
Crapi
Starter Motor

Oh well looks like i might strip a few things out of mine and run into the 8's! :
Crapi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #50
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapi
Oh well looks like i might strip a few things out of mine and run into the 8's! :
Go for it you have the best race track in Oz, WSID.
I hope your toys go better than your chosen AFF user name..

Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #51
Crapi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Go for it you have the best race track in Oz, WSID.
I hope your toys go better than your chosen AFF user name..
Thanks spooly! Not wrong about the WSID, from what i hear it is one of the best facillities in the world.
The name is just a dig at the good old capri i own because lets face it really wasn't much of a go-er with a 1600 four banger in it.
Will have it back out there soon for a crack at the 8's in street trim because that is the direction its been going for some time and until i run the best possible time in it, hopefully 8.7-8.6 at the current set up, i not going to strip or change anything. :
Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #52
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapi
Thanks spooly! Not wrong about the WSID, from what i hear it is one of the best facillities in the world.
The name is just a dig at the good old capri i own because lets face it really wasn't much of a go-er with a 1600 four banger in it.
Will have it back out there soon for a crack at the 8's in street trim because that is the direction its been going for some time and until i run the best possible time in it, hopefully 8.7-8.6 at the current set up, i not going to strip or change anything. :
Dont forget the pictures we love pictures, an 8 sec video would be great too...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #53
Crapi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Dont forget the pictures we love pictures, an 8 sec video would be great too...
Its all just a matter time my man! Will definately post pictures and some footage as soon as we get it there.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #54
Crapi
Starter Motor

Here is a taste of the crapi in action! Enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG3MPNh3sy4
Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #55
nugget378
Weezland

Ive spoken to you at WSID before crapi,bloody nice car you have mate,I seem to remember it was for sale?

Another turn on the street trim thing is legality,some of us would never pass a roadworthy with out an engineer signing off on the car,and these days alot of what we used to get away with is not allowed engineered or not..
I know I had a world of headaches in that area.
Old 15-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #56
Crapi
Starter Motor

Hey there nuggs! Mate i am the new owner of the car in question. Next time you see it out there come and say G'day.

Your dead right with your comment on the engineers reports and whether or not things are legal even if you have one to accompany your ride.

There maybe some things on my car that are questionable that have been passed by an engineer that could have been knocked back by another. This is just another reason to go against stripping the car out for the time being. I want it to look as complete as possible to keep the Gestapo at bay. :