Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Buying an EF Fairmont

Sorry to start a lame "what should i pay for this" thread, but I'm considering buying an EF Fairmont for the missus and add to my ever increasing rego and insurance costs due to excess vehicles in my driveway. I have been tossing up a few ideas for a new daily driver under $10,000, and keep coming back to the EF/EL Fairmont, cos, I like the style, I prefer AWD/RWD cars, not overly keen on the Commodore idea, and just dont have the finances to purchase a Turbo Liberty. Anyway, cut to the chase, a mate located a locally owned EF Fairmont, 212,000 km, good service history, white with cloth interior, Tickford suspension and 16" wheels and rego til October. Has a few little dents that should be easy to have repaired, and gets better economy (avg 9-10L/100km)than my 4cyl Magna. Seller is well known, and is only selling since my mate asked if he'd be interested in selling, otherwise wasnt fussed. Asking price is $5000, which to me sounds about right, and so far everything checks out fine. Question I'm asking, is this in the right range, and a few EF-EL specific tips on what to look out for. Will try post up pics shortly.

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

9 litres per 100klm..............lol....... thats dreaming - I have 13.2 atm and that was after a couple of trips to phillip island - usually 13.4........

When i drove to Canberra non-stop i got 10 litres per 100klm.

$5,000 is a bit too much still in todays market - say $4,000

click here is to see ef fairmonts on ebay http://cars.search.ebay.com.au/ef-fa...0QQsacatZ29690

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 09-01-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed, i dont expect that economy everyday, thats the average that he got driving to Qld last week, 9.1L/100km, avg speed 90.4km/h. My mate told me before I looked at it that he got around 700km per tank on this trip, which I thought was a bit of a stretch, unless he had some monster tank, but when his first fuel stop was Parkes (starting at Echuca)......thats pretty good going. I'm not seeing many EF-EL Fairmonts under the $5000 mark being advertised, but will try negotiate
Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP
agreed, i dont expect that economy everyday, thats the average that he got driving to Qld last week, 9.1L/100km, avg speed 90.4km/h. My mate told me before I looked at it that he got around 700km per tank on this trip, which I thought was a bit of a stretch, unless he had some monster tank, but when his first fuel stop was Parkes (starting at Echuca)......thats pretty good going. I'm not seeing many EF-EL Fairmonts under the $5000 mark being advertised, but will try negotiate

Auto 4.0s really lope along on the highway, they're as economical as a mid sized 4cyl if you keep a constant 100kph.

Fitting extractors/exhaust really help economy as well.

EDIT - something else to consider - safety. An EF fairy is gonna be a LOT safer than a Corolla/Pulsar etc, so I suppose, you could always justify the extra petrol - is your life worth an extra $10 a week?

Bit extreme, but it makes you feel better about buying a big car :
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
EDIT - something else to consider - safety. An EF fairy is gonna be a LOT safer than a Corolla/Pulsar etc, so I suppose, you could always justify the extra petrol - is your life worth an extra $10 a week?

Bit extreme, but it makes you feel better about buying a big car :
This is actually a very good point. I've just talked my brother out of getting an early Camry (think late 80's early 90's) into getting an EF or EL. The EF/EL is only a touch more $ to buy, and considering he'll only be doing 100kms or so a week, economy really isn't a big deal. The fact that he's had 3 decent stacks already really makes this an easy decision!

The one you've got in mind sounds good, about 4k would be right for that car, but really if you're happy with what you're buying, and it ends up being reliable, another $500-$1000 really isn't a big deal.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
The one you've got in mind sounds good, about 4k would be right for that car, but really if you're happy with what you're buying, and it ends up being reliable, another $500-$1000 really isn't a big deal.
Yeah I was thikning the same thing, if you have to pay another $500 to $1000 for a good car that wont have any issues then in the long run its worth it.

Buying it off some one you or some one knows and knows it has not been thrashed is information money cant buy

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
SICAZZ
Banned

Default Fuel

The fuel economy of 9.1 isnt that unrealistic....

My 1998 EL XR8 gets 9.8L/p100kms on the freeway from melbourne to geelong.
SICAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice guys, good to hear that its in the ballpark price wise, will go have another look tomorrow and let the missus check it out. As I said, the EF-EL has a lot of potential appearance wise in my books, even as a daily driver, the car is locally owned and all signs point to it being honest and reliable, and I honestly don't think I can get much better of a car without spending a whole heap more. My budget is $10,000 or under, so if anybody can suggest anything else worth considering, that'd be great.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICAZZ
The fuel economy of 9.1 isnt that unrealistic....

My 1998 EL XR8 gets 9.8L/p100kms on the freeway from melbourne to geelong.
I commented like that as I thought that was daily average as it was not stated it was a trip to QLD in the first post.................

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got 7L/100K on my way from sydney to melbourne in my EL xr6
Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, good to hear that its in the ballpark price wise, will go have another look tomorrow and let the missus check it out. As I said, the EF-EL has a lot of potential appearance wise in my books, even as a daily driver, the car is locally owned and all signs point to it being honest and reliable, and I honestly don't think I can get much better of a car without spending a whole heap more. My budget is $10,000 or under, so if anybody can suggest anything else worth considering, that'd be great.
For 10k or so, you should be able to pretty easily get yourself into an auction spec BA (Fairmonts can even be had for this money).
Old 21-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have purchased said car, EF Fairmont, white with chrome AMG 17's, new rotors, auto serviced, steering reco'd, rego to Oct, new carpet, replaced A/C and 212,000km. $5000 was the price, wouldn't budge, but very happy with car. Now just to convince the missus that it needs to be lowered and needs a little more substance with the soundsystem.
Old 21-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Have purchased said car, EF Fairmont, white with chrome AMG 17's, new rotors, auto serviced, steering reco'd, rego to Oct, new carpet, replaced A/C and 212,000km. $5000 was the price, wouldn't budge, but very happy with car. Now just to convince the missus that it needs to be lowered and needs a little more substance with the soundsystem.
Good work mate! Convincing the missus for lowering is easy - the current suspension is rooted and needs to be replaced! Stereo, I haven't quite come up with a convincing enough excuse for that!
Old 21-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Good work mate! Convincing the missus for lowering is easy - the current suspension is rooted and needs to be replaced! Stereo, I haven't quite come up with a convincing enough excuse for that!
With mine, I blew a globe in the cassette player. Mmm... while it's out, might as well get something better! lol

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
With mine, I blew a globe in the cassette player. Mmm... while it's out, might as well get something better! lol
Just heading out to the car with a hammer now!
Old 22-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wel done! Its always nice to get something that your happy with.

As far as lowering, its a saftey issue :P

Stereo, get her to play her most fav CD in the old stereo, then take the CD to the shop & play it there, she will want the new stereo ...... trust me :evil3:

Last edited by MotherNatureVer2; 22-01-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice, obviously you're talking from experience and have discovered some convinvcing arguments! Will try them out, and post up some pics shortly.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #18
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally got around to posting some pics of the new daily, before I bought it (whilst it still had those nice Tickford wheels). It now has chrome AMG 5 spokes, which look alright, but I think polished XR6 wheels would be better. Still need the lowered springs, but convinced the missus on the Subwoofer idea. Was going to replace the rear speakers and upgrade the deck, but 6-1/2" 2ways won't fit the factory cutouts on the rear deck (wish I knew this before forking out $180.... oh well, they'll go nice in my EH Wagon)..... and got lazy swapping decks, so just used the factory CD's amp preouts, hooked up my little 2ch MTX amp, and bought a Clarion 12" Sub and ported box, $160 bargain! Sounds great now.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot the pics....

Scuffed front bar and yellow headlights..... to be repaired as time permits

Old 26-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

sitting on 90kph i get 8lp100k

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #21
Rob
Living the dream

Good pick up mate, looks tidy. Photo makes it seem like it needs a polish, have you given it a good detailing yet?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #22
efI_Fairmont

Looks really nice and tidy there, good pickup.

Look after the EF and she'll definitely look after you, they're great cars, especially for their age. Lovely to drive. Glad you managed to convince your missus to change over the radio, the factory units aren't the best (that's putting it politely!)

Make sure you post up some more pictures when after you give her a good detail
Old 27-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #23
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done

I knew the stereo wouldnt be too big a problem :P

Definitely put up some more pics once shes had a detail ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
......... It now has chrome AMG 5 spokes, which look alright, but I think polished XR6 wheels would be better...............
Show us a pic with the Chromies