Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arrow Help! To wreck or not to wreck?

Ok guys, this is the big question that i need some deliberation on in this thread.

Should i wreck my perfectly Ok 5.0L EF11 Fairmont Ghia?
I'm thinking i may be able to recoup more of my investment than just selling it as is. Plus i want to buy a volvo!

The only thing wrong is the auto is on the way out, possibly a stuffed c4 or c3 clutch. It got a bit of wear and tear here and there, but otherwise very sound, 235,000klm machine.
This will cost me $1000 + to rectify and i really don't want to spend that money at the moment.
I will need to part out the panelwork, and interior before the driveline as i don't have the time to remove stuff like that atm.
I could arrange to have a local workshop do the driveline stuff for a small fee.
This thread doesn't need pics, I will post some pics and a for sale thread in the next few weeks to register interest in it, it needs some glamour shots taken when i do my bike.
What do you guys think? Serious replys to the topic only please.

XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would say advertise the car as it sits

be honest about the auto as well

would be good to see it still running around long after you wanted to part it out

also a few pics as it sits now would be good

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, i'd at least try to sell it 'as is' (but be honest about it).

Parting it out is a hassle, and you have to calculate how much more (if any) you could get from parting it out being realistic. Someone might recognise it for what it is - a good car that has one issue, and they can factor that into their purchase price.

Parting it out will see you have bits and pieces here and there for ages which would be a problem for me as I have already exceeded the bounds of my tiny joint and have to rent more space for toys. Might be less of an issue for you though.

I'd only part out a non-crashed car as an absolute last resort.

Don't spose you could put in an exchange box or something? or was that was the 1G was for, exchange box and fit?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh definately be pointing out the auto concern when i advertise, ive expressed it on the forums now so it will be known when i advertise.
I do have a problem with space as i have just moved to a place where it is impossible to easily wreck the car.
The 1G is to replace as needed components inside the box, not a full reco, but almost. A lot of the cost of a full reco is the torque convertor and solenoids, it doesn't need any of those, probably just an s-5.
Full reco exchange fitted is $2000 plus.
Anyway cheers for the thoughts.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Kryton

and why cant you go to the wreckers and get a $400 gearbox for it?
in all honesty, youd be lucky to part it out for 2k - and then you have the hassles of postage, dealing with a heap of people and waiting a long period of time to get all the money.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
in all honesty, youd be lucky to part it out for 2k - and then you have the hassles of postage, dealing with a heap of people and waiting a long period of time to get all the money.
Agreed there. Sell it as is, no point wrecking a car that is good condition
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate got an EL 4 speed auto put on his ED for $600 supplied and fitted.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im searching at the moment, in between feeling crook as a dog and working, but the V8 aren't as widely available as the 6.
Just throwing the idea out there at this stage.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I have a spare auto (4 speed 6 cylinder housing). Not sure if its compatible. I'd be willing to let it go for very cheap. It didn't have any issues when it came out of my car, or none that I'm aware of.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
BADEF-6
Moates Ostrich 2.0 User

you can use a i6 transmission all you have to do is swap the bellhousing and torque converter over and then you have a good tranny

Daily: Golf 6 GTD. Black Magic, ABT goodies. 153.2fwkw 480nm @1500rpm

New Project: 1973 GTR Torana 2door. Track/Targa/Hill Climber. Soon to have a 4.0L OHC and a Turbo.

EF Fairmont: Twin Charged 6 -481rwkw 1038nm @3500rpm (Fully Engineered) (SOLD)

IM BACK
BADEF-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG-377
you can use a i6 transmission all you have to do is swap the bellhousing and torque converter over and then you have a good tranny
I agree. Why wreck a perfectly serviceable car. It might have a few miles on it, but it is a V8.

Find a Transmission with low miles on it, and you will be set.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG-377
Erm, no you can't. The output shaft is longer on the V8 box due to the different dimensions of the 6 & 8 engine blocks. The planetry gearset is different too. Pretty critical stuff wouldn't you say.
Also valve body, bellhousing, and torque convertor are different.

After trying 10 wreckers, ive found a 148,000 klm unit for $850, with 3 month warranty. Wreckers warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Or an unknown condition unit from a fairlane with 250,000+ on it that the guy said id be taking a chance with but i could have it for $350. I'll see if i can pick that one up for $100 and give it a run.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I wasn't sure whether they were compatible or not. I was also almost willing to give the box away so that its no longer wasting away in the garage.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Fordace, i wish i could take it off your hands too.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Try finding a $400 useable V8 box!

And quite frankly, you'd do ALOT better than 2k for wrecking it. It is a hassle though as you said.

Personally, I wouldn't wreck it as there's no point destroying a perfectly good car, but you would make more by wrecking it properly, than selling it with a stuffed box.

With a repaired box, the final result would be alot closer.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 AM   #16
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Cheers Fordace, i wish i could take it off your hands too.
Just trying to help.