Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
bac
Starter Motor

Default Heretical Concept...

Hi Guys,
I've spent a bit of time behind the wheel of my ST170 now and also have been browsing through the owner's handbook and have begun pondering.

As you all know, the ST170 comes with two oil gauges set in the left hand end of the dash, which I personally regard as a bit ****y and a waste of valuable dashboard real estate (ducks for cover...)

Now some of you may want to burn me at the stake for suggesting this, but I think I'd like to rip those gauges out and replace them with something more useful, like a trip computer / outside temperature display unit. I believe the LR Focus Ghia does have a trip computer fitted in that same location on the dash, so my questions are:

- Does the ST170 have all the sensors & wiring in place to support the trip computer unit?

- Would the LR Ghia's trip computer be a direct swap for the oil gauge unit on the ST170?

- How much of the dash would I have to pull apart?

- Any ideas where I'd be able to pick up an LR Ghia trip computer?

Cheers,
Brian

bac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Brian, I can answer Q4 for you as a Trip Computer for my LR is on the Christmas wishlist. I believe the Part No. is 2M5T10(that's a zero)D885EB and it's description is as a Display Indicator. I was quoted around $360 from the Dealer which I purchased my Focus from and I believe that's a supply-only quote and that price was back in June this year. It'll certainly be a worthy enhancement for my Focus and it'll fill in that blank space they call a Coin Tray.

Hope this helps and that you're enjoying your ST170. Lucky fella.

Eddie.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
bac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Hope this helps and that you're enjoying your ST170. Lucky fella.
Price of entry to the ST170 club has come down a lot lately - for anyone who's interested there's currently another one on CarSales advertised at $12.5K.

Brian
Old 15-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Ive got the Gia Trip computer installed in my Focus Zetec. - GOD SEND. love it.

but if you buy a ScanguageII it will do alot of that as well. just not as neatly as the Ghia input.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

dup post

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
bac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Ive got the Gia Trip computer installed in my Focus Zetec. - GOD SEND. love it.
So how much work was involved and how much did it end up costing you?

I believe you need both the computer unit for the dash and an upgraded LHS control stalk to operate it? Did you need to install any additional sensors and wiring or was it just plug and play? Did you need an ECU reflash to make it work?

Cheers,
Brian