Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Car shakes for no reason even driving, maybe fuel filter? plz help

hey lately in the last few days while im driving or even stoped at lights my car will shake enuff that everyone in the car can notice the vibration,

the first couple of times i just put it down to the ecu being stupid but then i noticed that when the "shakes" happen the Revs dont go up or down they stay the same,

i checked the T/b this arvo and it is clean no build up, i got it cleaned about 4months ago as well as getting a new IAC.

also checked the spark plug leads as well as the spark plugs them self they are all tight and none were loose, (not sure if any need replacing tho)

i checked the battery terminals as well the Positve had white corrosion build up so i cleaned it off and rechecked all the connections took the car for a drive and same issue still occurs

i cant seem to work out what is causing the "shakes", all tho my car is over due for a service, the oil is in between light and dark brown so no TOO bad still needs changing, air filter is new, hasnt had a Tune up since i have owned the car just over a year now, not sure when the last one was done the car just clicked over to 140,000k

any help would be good

cheers
brad`

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had the same problem, all i know is once the misfire was fixed it stopped, check and make sure your leads aren't arcing, also i'd go about replacing your fuel filter
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
brad`
The Monty

is there a way u can tell if ur fuel filter is stuffe dby looking at it ? i dont know much about it

cheers
brad`

Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Was the aircon going, were the thermo fans spinning flat out.

I often notice vibration when thermos are going flat strap,
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Remedy is to fit a shaker in the bonnet - at least you know it will work.

Have you checked the idle speed control valve?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
brad`
The Monty

hey thanks for the replys

a/c was off the only electrical thing running othere then normal ECU controlled stuff was my DVD player turned that off completly same issue still and abttery level is just under fully charrged where it should be.

thermos were only on for as long as they needed to be even off i still get the issue

how do i check the speed control valve ? and where is it loacted ?

cheers
brad`

Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you take the intake tube off, like you would to clean the T/B, stare down the barrel, just infront of the butterfly up the top, there is a little hole. Squirt some carby cleaner in there (I use Power Foam, awesome stuff, not just for the T/B and ISC but for the whole engine).

I leave it there for a little while, then use a can of compressed air (used to clean electronics etc) and blast the crud out, then squirt a little more in there. Wait a few minutes and start it up. Give it a few little revs, and then let it idle for a little while. If you used the Power Foam, be ready for the exhaust to belch thick smoke at first (For this reason, dont do it in the garage, and perhaps warn onlookers) but after this clears, it should run smoother. Give it another few little revs and you're done.

N.B. For those interested, I'm refering to AMSOIL Power Foam. Its magic stuff, cleans out the inside of the engine, removing grease, carbon and rust. And its great for cleaning the exterior of the engine also. If you Google it, I'm pretty sure it has a website somewhere. Also look for AMSOIL Engine Flush, my car has run so much smoother since using it.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it won't be anything more than worn engine or trans mount.. 10 clams says trans mount

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
brad`
The Monty

cantr say i have ever heard of it before how much am i looking at for the can of it, and the can of compressed air ?

and where from can u get it? im guessing supercheap/autobahn or n e were like that

cheers for the help
brad`

Old 03-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
dusty86

mine has the same problem, think it's pretty common, changed leads coilpacks plugs fuel filter, checked compression and it's about 35psi lower on number 5. my other thought is to check the fuel pressure..
My throttle body is pretty clean as well and injectors aren't blocked, it's pretty annoying though thast for sure
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the AMSOIL products, I'm not sure where to get them, cause I buy mine from my mate. He's a mechanic, so I get it from his work. I would assume that somewhere like bursons should have it.

As for compressed air cans, you can get them from places like dick smiths. I got some from supercheap a while back, but I havent seen them there since.

To be honest I would have to agree with Racecraft, a mount would seem more likely. But it doesnt hurt to do the smaller and cheaper things first. I would also suggest some new plugs and leads, as that fixed a similar problem I had a while ago.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
adrian k
adrian

have a listen around the rear by the exhaust, if it sounds like it misses a beat every now and again, it could be a plug, or lead or injector. it can be hard to hear with your head under the bonnet.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
brad`
The Monty

also noticed that when i start the car 9/10 times it jolts, so im leaning more towards a spark plug also when i go to put my foot down hard it jolts as well,

is there a way to tell which spark plug is on its way out ? or is just better to replace all 6 and be done with it ?

also what price would i be looking at for a set of 6 nothing fancy im using Topgun ignition leads tho, they cam with the car so thats a bonus

cheers for all the replys
brad`

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
also noticed that when i start the car 9/10 times it jolts, so im leaning more towards a spark plug also when i go to put my foot down hard it jolts as well,

is there a way to tell which spark plug is on its way out ? or is just better to replace all 6 and be done with it ?

also what price would i be looking at for a set of 6 nothing fancy im using Topgun ignition leads tho, they cam with the car so thats a bonus

cheers for all the replys
brad`
could it be the leads causing your problems, because ive heard nothing but bad things about top gun leads...
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you tried replacing the coil pack yet?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it hesitates under throttle, consider running a fuel system cleaner and changing the leads.

Previously:

Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
brad`
The Monty

hey i got some new spark plugs 2day havent menaged to put them in yet as i can get the stupid leads off the plugs them self and i dotn wanna rip one of the leads.

is there an easier way ppl have found to get them off ?

my gf's dad said it might be just Bad fuel as well so im gunna wait and see if it clears up a little if not ill figure something out.

top gun leds - i got a friend to look at it today and he said the same thing about the leads, that there prone to stuff up on AU's and the best leads are the genuine ford ones.

cheers
brad`

Old 05-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
might be just Bad fuel
everyone blames fuel, but its almost always not bad fuel.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
brad`
The Monty

ok so i menaged to get the spark plug leads away from the spark plugs also discovered that the 1st lead (closest to the grill) was snapped just at the top off where the rubber black bit covers the Spark plug, so it wasnt connectiong properly so thats not a good thing

2nd number 1 and 3 were completely black and a lot of ash/black stuff fell off them when removed and had burn spots on them, so thats not good

but since the new plugs are in the car hasnt missed a beat in the 5 min trip i did around the block, didnt wanna drive it to much until i replace the Leads.

one thing tho, i must say never realised how much of a diffrence brand new spark plugs make the feel of the car.

i guess u just dribve the car that much that u dont realy notice little things like that until there fixed

cheers for all the help and replys muchly apresiated
brad`

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want decent leads, pm BOTTLEDUP, he has msd ones. other good brands apparently are ICE and queensland ignition leads i think
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah, QLD Ignition Leads rock. If you can get em, do.
I was gonna get them anyway as recommended by a few people on these forums, and then i found they make them in the same suburb as i live, so i most certainly got them.

Plugs and leads should be a set interval servicing item, possibly 50k for plugs and 100k for leads depending on fuel, quality of part, driving style yada yada yada
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #22
brad`
The Monty

i got the car at 128xxx kays so was trying to hold off on as much as i could untill 150xxx so i could know exactly what was done and at how many kays since they log book only has one entry in it

close now, on 142xxx haha

cheers
brad`

Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #23
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just realised i have top gun leads on, my car has a problem kicking over after being off for a while, im 80% sure the leads are the problem, im going to replace them soon with the leads i recieved in the groupbuy, im gunna also put some iridiums in, so im hoping its goign to make a world of difference! will update with results. btw im just over 149xxx kays
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #24
Steve_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
....and the best leads are the genuine ford ones.

cheers
brad`

Unless the I6 leads are much different to V8 ones, they're just pretty bog-standard leads, nothing flash and they will wear out after a while.

About the best leads I think are the Magnecor KV85 leads. In Sydney I think Thundercords is the distributer, and there's a couple of performance ignition places in Melbourne that do 'em. They will make up a set to suit your car.

I think I paid about $260-280 for my V8 set, so I6 will be cheaper, and the thing is you only have to pay it once - unless you physically damage the leads somehow, they'll basically last forever.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
brad`
The Monty

any one know a place in VIC that sells "msd" leads ?

cheers
brad`