Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
david_100
Tickford Man

Default AU XR8 performance question?

Hi, just want to know, what performance upgrades can i do to my AU XR8, with out going overboard in price?

thanks

david_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

If it hasn't all ready been done, Go a full exhaust upgrade.
Ive got pacemaker headers, High flow cats and twin 2.5 exhaust. This made a big difference over the stock system and then you could get it flash tuned which should get you another 15rwkw .

PS, what series AU have you got?
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

What Craig said, though I'd only use 2.25" twin exhaust and the standard cats are more than decent enough. This will keep the price and noise down, and make it quite a bit cheaper. With no sacrifice to performance.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Yes my car is very loud with the high flow cats especially past 4500rpm it really barks. But as for a performance gain i had my car dynoed with std cats and twin 2.5 exhaust where peak power came at 5250rpm and then dropped quite quickly, Some time after having the high flow cats fitted had another dyno run and the car made same peak power as before at 5250rpm but held it all the way to 5600rpm, so the gain was average horsepower !! Also showed on the strip by dropping me down to the next tenth consistently.

Regards, Craig.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
david_100
Tickford Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
If it hasn't all ready been done, Go a full exhaust upgrade.
Ive got pacemaker headers, High flow cats and twin 2.5 exhaust. This made a big difference over the stock system and then you could get it flash tuned which should get you another 15rwkw .

PS, what series AU have you got?
I have a series 1 AU, but i already have the full extractors and exhaust system on it already.
david_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Flash tune would probably be the next step. Any noticeable difference after that you would have to start looking at cam, heads and possible intake swap, If you went down that path the spending would probably head in the 8 grand region.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Yes my car is very loud with the high flow cats especially past 4500rpm it really barks. But as for a performance gain i had my car dynoed with std cats and twin 2.5 exhaust where peak power came at 5250rpm and then dropped quite quickly, Some time after having the high flow cats fitted had another dyno run and the car made same peak power as before at 5250rpm but held it all the way to 5600rpm, so the gain was average horsepower !! Also showed on the strip by dropping me down to the next tenth consistently.

Regards, Craig.
I assumed his car was a series 1, and it is. In that light, replacing the cats would make next to no difference. Even in your case, the minor dyno and drag strip difference can be due to temperature differences or gear change technique. It's not easy to be 100% consitant in a manual. I'm just not convinced cats have a dramatic (any?) effect on performance when an engine is only lightly modified.

Anyway, back on topic.
Again, as Craig said, a tune would be a good idea now unless you have the $$$ to blow on heads, cam etc.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

With the exhaust done next step would be a decent CAI, and tune, it realy depends on what you are looking for, Storkys S1 has just the basics and runs 14 2s from memory and is a manual.. after that it all becomes rather expensive

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
xr8ute
Back on the road

bigger cam

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post