Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Removing PCV Valve

Can someone tell me how the PCV valve comes off the top of the rocker? Is ti simply a case of pulling it or is there a twist or something?

While on the topic, does anyone know how much it would cost for a replacement?

Cheers.

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
HARMFUL 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Can someone tell me how the PCV valve comes off the top of the rocker? Is ti simply a case of pulling it or is there a twist or something?

While on the topic, does anyone know how much it would cost for a replacement?

Cheers.
FYI When you replace the pcv valve, be sure to check the grommet to the rocker cover. My brother just replaced his pcv due to rough idle, but it wasnt rectified till he had replaced the splitting grommet aswell.
HARMFUL 81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rough idle you say? I've been looking for the cause for over a year! I was just trying to get it off so I could take the top off the BBM. I'll try replacing it tomorrow. Any idea on cost?

Still don't know how to remove it though. I don't want to break it.
Old 23-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
HARMFUL 81

he said its a relatively cheap part in the order of $20-25. I assume its just a matter of pulling it straight out
HARMFUL 81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the help. I'll just give it a good yank.
Old 23-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Bit of a twist to get it moving freely. Pull it out, and plug the new one in.
Old 25-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

also be sure all of it comes out...the pcv's have a tendancy to break around the bottom and leave the metal bits sitting in the rocker area....unlike older models thoughm the au catches the bits so they dont go into the timing chain and really cause damage. a magnet on a stick or even a magnetised screw driver will work at pulling the parts out. cost is around $15 max and thats for a steel one....much longer lasting and wont break apart on you. and yes, you just pull the valve straight up after twisting to free it fromm the gromet.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Arkturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Rough idle you say? I've been looking for the cause for over a year! I was just trying to get it off so I could take the top off the BBM. I'll try replacing it tomorrow. Any idea on cost?

Still don't know how to remove it though. I don't want to break it.
Hi, just wondering how you went with this, if it fixed your idle problems?
My EL has rough idle on gas and petrol and when i pull the vaccum hose off the PCV and stick my finger over the end the idle comes good.
Is that a good sign the PCV is stuffed?
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I swapped the PCV over with a new one and there was no change. I haven't tried changing the rubber retainer yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

If the revs increase significantly, the PCV is most likely alright but it may be worth changing the retainer as HARMFUL 81 suggested.

When I placed my finger over the vacuum hose, the revs went up so the roughness went away. The problems I'm having are between 700-800 rpm.