Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Compression Test

I just did a compression test on the car. I kept the engine cranking until the highest value was reached. Here are the results:

Cylinder 3 has a noticeably lower PSI value as well as taking more rev/crank to reach it. Cylinder 2 has a closer PSI value to the others but takes slightly more rev/crank to reach it.

Are the measured values correct? I will do a wet test on cylinders 2 and 3. What type of oil should I use in the test (anything specific)? Is there anything else can do to see what is wrong with the cylinders?

NB The test was done as part of the hunt for the cause of my rough idle.

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

That all looks fine, though you don't really need to crank more than 4-5 times.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found it hard to get consistant readings by doing it 4-5 times, so I just did it until the max compression was reached. It still seems a little strange that the values of 2 and 3 differ. I'll do a wet test tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

before i done the head on my turboed au the commpression was all over the shop and it ran fine, it differed from 150 down to 130 but 2 was the highest (compression is low becasue of the decompressed head)

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

within 15 lb`s is the tolerance i was told.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as long as it aint burnin oil its all good
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I found it hard to get consistant readings by doing it 4-5 times, so I just did it until the max compression was reached.
It would still have been adequate. After 4-5 stroke, the readings will only increase by a few psi and you're just putting strain on the battery and starter motor for nothing.
Quote:
It still seems a little strange that the values of 2 and 3 differ. I'll do a wet test tomorrow and see what happens.
They will always differ, the kicker is how much do they differ, and 15psi is nothing.
When one cylinder is 50psi down you'll have something to worry about.

A wet test is only done to determine wether it's the rings or valves which are stuffed. I wouldn't bother as your readings clearly show that nothing is stuffed.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok then. Thanks for explaining it to me. Saved me the hassle of doing something that was unnecessary
Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
justa6
justa6

yeah seem's ok, as long as there is not 1 low as. but should only crank it a couple of times.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

Just a bit of info for future reference. The way the test is usually analysed is by a percentage. As long as all cylinders are within 10% of eachother, thats is considered perfectly healthy. In this case, obviously theres nothing wrong with it.

Food for thought :-)

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post