Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone with a cam in VCT XR6?

hey guys, just wondering if anyone has found a cam, or has a cam in a VCT XR6 that was better that the stock one, a few cam places said that there isnt really any hotter cam that the VCT one for that model. They suggested a Custom grind cam.

like to hear from people that have a good cam.

MGM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only real option we have is a JMM item that hasnt really been proven from memory..

or just getting a good tune done to make use of the power that ford hobbled out of it.. as the VCT moves the cam timing X amount of degrees that makes your effective below 3000rpm cam not work right above 3000rpm or when ever the VCT switches(Cant remember off the top of my head)
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i still can't work out why its so hard to get a cam to work in a vct.
when you look at it the vct is a great bit of gear , it advances the cam to a set rpm then it back .
i've played heaps with the cam timing on mine with the vernier gear,you can't beat the excellaration of an advanced hp cam (6*),but it gets breathless @ 5000rpm ,then again you can't beat the topend rush when its set at 0*.
i would have thought it would be easier to get a bigger cam to work in a vct ,considering the cams advanced @ idle .
why is it so hard to get them to work????
Old 07-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

I bought this up with blackers a while ago. i asked the same question, if it advances say from 3000rpm, find a nice cam that comes on song around 3000rpm and like to be advanced as far as it usualy does ( 4 degrees or whatever it is). Get a stall converter under it and Bobs your Aunty.Advances itself, sure its gutless down low, but you have a stallie to compensate. Has anyone ever slipped a big cam in a VCT just to see what happens?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys, i have a manual, but i really notice the bottom end suffering, seems to have good midrange but just revs at the top end but drops off in power. on the dyno it made peak power at 4650rpm. i need a cat and custom tune, but not sure how much the tune will do for a bit more kick in the low end
Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the VCTs are hobbled from the factory due to having close to the same power as an XR8
so yeah... maybe nobody has wanted to spend the $$$$ on big cams for VCT in the R&D side of things as its a minority motor compared to the HP
Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM
thanks guys, i have a manual, but i really notice the bottom end suffering, seems to have good midrange but just revs at the top end but drops off in power. on the dyno it made peak power at 4650rpm. i need a cat and custom tune, but not sure how much the tune will do for a bit more kick in the low end

Get your first gear replaced with an EF/L first gear ratio, when I had my box rebuilt (due to Ford dealer scroowing it then not willing to come to the party) I had a shorter first gear fitted. It made quite a difference even to the point of breaking traction under hard acceleration once it was rolling.

My old ute was doing consistant 15.2 quarter mile times with nothing more than a cat back (so factory cat) and a unichip tune at the time which was tuned by Brendan at JMM. I had to run premium but I always have in my cars anyway, even my 260 that I currently drive even though the 280ZX motors were built to run on regular, but the triple carbs really come on song with 98.

My suggestion to you would be to get a full exhaust at least to start with, the cat may well be clogged or at least starting to collapse by now so that plus the extra breathing achieved by a set of extractors will see you get it up off the mark a little easier. Also a good flowing filter to replace the standard one if you haven't already done that, then get it tuned, where and by whom is up to yourself of course.

They aren't as hard to get power out of as everyone thinks, it's just that they were put in the too hard basket very early on and most workshops didn't want the headaches. JMM however were happy to try things out, they were one of a very few shops that specialized in the VCT 4.0, I know Brendan still plays with them to varying degrees of success, like anything it comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.

I know Crow were working on a cam back in '01 when I bought mine new, where they got to with it I don't know, maybe you could start their or chat to some shops that have had experience with them. JMM would be a good start as well as G&D who are a sponsor here, other than that there must be some advice one the AU club site so that would also be a good start.

Good luck with your search for more power.
Stef

p.s. my ute was a also a white XR6 VCT with the pursuit kit factory fitted, so nice choice LOL
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate, im not to keen on shortening 1st, as i only get 50-55km/s out of first now, so the gears are close already. i have a full 2.5" exhaust, except the cat which i bought today.

I have been trying a few things with the intake side of things, seeing which intake tube to go with, either 3" or the factory one with K&N in the box and extra intake tube.

I am going to book it in for a tune with Horsepower factory after i do the cat, they were the cheapest reputable tuner at $550 For a full custom tune.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Last I spoke to Joe at Crescent Motorsport is that he might have a VCT cam ready soon ... still a bit of R&D to go on it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post