Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Seat covers and new cars: WHY?

WHY?? i've seen a few new XR's and SS's recently with crappy seat covers on them, why? It seems like a waste to buy a brand new car with beautiful interior just to cover it up and not enjoy it.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe to protect the seats? Its like my grand parents with plastic still over their 50 year old chairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont understand it either..dont see the point
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Maybe to protect the seats? Its like my grand parents with plastic still over their 50 year old chairs.
Yea i dont get it either, Why protect the seats for the second owner, when you sell the car for about a quater of its original value anyway.

Anly reasoning would be if your a tradesperson and get dirty, so you dont stain the seats.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I have some MSD ignition throwovers on my XR.

I have them mainly cos me and my mates go to the beach alot and to the lake. It's easier just taking the throwover off and shaking it out then it is to vacumm the car.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I aggree, people do it to save the seats from stains and wear and tear. But who really cares about the second owner? You bought it, enjoy it!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I know a fair few people with Custom leather interior with seat covers. Mostly tradies who don't want to get their interior dirty of an afternoon when driving home from work.

Does seem stupid on some cars though, can't put them in a BA with side airbags or they could do more harm then good.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

why wouldnt you put seat covers on..

i have seat covers for my XR6 ute that i use... after going to the gym etc i dont want sweat pouring into my seats...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
Yea i dont get it either, Why protect the seats for the second owner, when you sell the car for about a quater of its original value anyway.
Agree, and I can never understand why people spend up big on synthetic oils for the same reason neither.

Quote:
Anly reasoning would be if your a tradesperson and get dirty, so you dont stain the seats.
I can't stand seat covers or floor mats etc, but it's good to put them in the back if you've got young kids.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I can understand floor mats. Doesn't take long to wear a hole in the carpet/rubber patch on the drivers side. And you need them for the rest of the car as just having a drivers mat would look weird IMO.

bfiipursuit; I use my gym towl but I know what you mean. I've pretty much decided not to worry about it now but when I first got my car I was very protective of the seats for my "gym" sweat lol.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Agree, and I can never understand why people spend up big on synthetic oils for the same reason neither.
If you'd rather be selling your car for $10 then go ahead and use crappy $5 oil. While you are at it, try some sand....

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can not believe I just read that. What on earth are you thinking???? : : :
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
monkeykplunk
Starter Motor

I don't understand it either.... and I get the question a million times a day at work.

I look at it like this, if the manufacturer (in this case Ford) doesn't sell a seat cover as an accessory, then there must be a reason.
Because lets face it, if they could make money off something like that, they would.
monkeykplunk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I know a fair few people with Custom leather interior with seat covers. Mostly tradies who don't want to get their interior dirty of an afternoon when driving home from work.

Does seem stupid on some cars though, can't put them in a BA with side airbags or they could do more harm then good.

Yeh you can. There are seat covers specifically made for the BA/BF's with side airbags. Just be aware they aren't off the shelf and the price reflects that.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddy200
If you'd rather be selling your car for $10 then go ahead and use crappy $5 oil. While you are at it, try some sand....
LOL, do you use synthetic? tell me why.

Do you seriously think a dealer is going to give you more money on a trade because you used synthetic? makes stuff all difference to resale values even if you sell private.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be interesting to see what happens in a side impact if you have side airbags (mounted in the seats) and have seat covers over them??? There was a note in both the Forester and Mini not to put seat covers on. Would also kind of defeat the leather seats too.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
LOL, do you use synthetic? tell me why.

Do you seriously think a dealer is going to give you more money on a trade because you used synthetic? makes stuff all difference to resale values even if you sell private.
You scare me and I would never buy a car from you. Seriously.

Ever thought that people like to take care of their vehicles? I certainly wouldn't like to put cheap oil into an engine that I have spent thousands on. On top of that better oils can provide better running and more power/better economy.

There are that many reasons to use good oil, try a search.

We need to get back on topic now.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

With you all the way 4Vman

Seat covers for a new car, no - never

Sure I train at the gym daily and jump into my car all sweaty but I bought the car for myself to enjoy, not for the next clown who I sell it to for a pittance!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
TRUBLU4DS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i was taking my EL to work i would take a change of clothes & an old bed sheet to throw over the seat for the drive home, seat covers? Never!
TRUBLU4DS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dad only uses the bottom half of a seat cover in his ute because when he works its normally the pants that get dirty, therefore the car still looks good when youre sitting on the only piece of covering in the whole car =D
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
GT014

Ive never used a seat cover, just have to be careful who eats and drinks what in your car. Everytime i get a new car its forbidden for the first 12 months

I too go to the gym and bought a thick towel i keep in the boot, and put this over the seat after a workout, so no sweat on the seat.

If i was a tradie/outdoor worker, I would buy seat covers though. Otherwise, why protect it, they're made to last and enjoy. Could never understand why people put sheets over couches, unless they are really ugly couches !
GT014 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Ever thought that people like to take care of their vehicles? I certainly wouldn't like to put cheap oil into an engine that I have spent thousands on. On top of that better oils can provide better running and more power/better economy.

Mate, i've read about all of it, bought/sold many cars blah blah and have the ability to cut to reality.
I agree synth is better, but it doesn't provide any resale benefit and the economy/power gain is negligible. Start a new topic on it if you want to continue further discussion.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #23
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I do not use covers in my cars, but I do have a cover on the rear bench because my kids make a mess...Each to their own
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
.................I do have a cover on the rear bench because my kids make a mess...Each to their own
Ditto.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Another thing with seat covers is if you have fabric seats.

The stitching on El Cheapo covers can wear into, and through, the fabric.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

In the context of trade in values be affected by what type of oil you use, Kerion makes a valid point.

As far as seat covers are concerned, I don't bother. Let the second owner worry about that.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
AustinA40
Tourer

Default AustinA40

Ford sell waterproof seatcovers made out of a similar fabric to wetsuits, I squeezed a set for the front to protect the leather from salt and sand from the beach, wet and sandy towels go in the receptacle under the floor in the back designed for that purpose in the Territory.
AustinA40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #28
Fantome

In regard to fabric seats, it's way easier to throw the seat covers in the washing machine than trying to clean the actual seat. I'm all for anything that saves me work! Fading is another reason that I have seat covers in my car. I would much prefer that the el cheapo's get destroyed by the sun than the seats.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #29
Joey_Falcon