Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #31
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
mitsubishi magna 2.6 astron motors: timing chain stretches (bloody noisey)
Not to mention the chain guides that wear down easily and the odd snapped chain.
Also with that engine the timing covers corrode out.

Laser b6 - Crank keyway wearing.
Mitsubishi 4m40 - Head cracks
Kia Carnival v6 - Head gaskets
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #32
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden injected V8 allways sludged up in the pickup and making not much if any oil pressure :p apart from that pretty flawless really bottom ends good for limited usage at 8000 rpm stock or 350 rwkw boosted is ok on stocker, good motors. Never seen one fail, ever over a period of about 100 5 minute burnouts between 5500 and 7500 rpm

Holden early V6, falls apart at over 6,000 rpm pretty easy, broken cam, or rod failure. Seen more of these break in burnout comps than any other motor, but like most things can make bulk power boosted so long as you keep them under 5500.

RB30 fall apart at 7000 rpm+, otherwise can hold 300rwkw+ stock they just dont want to see North of 7000rpm. They break fail often at high rpm

Ford 6, various headgasket issues also overheats during long burnouts and can lock up but never seen one fail, they allways come good once cooled down, have to add that any Fords are quite rare to see in competitions of any kind but still, never seen one fail

Holden 6 much stronger than you would expect especaily the blue motors, have seen stock bottom ends with 20 psi. Haven't seen one fail in a burnout comp but they are usually worn out old bombs that cant do more than 4000 rpm in 2nd
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #33
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda/Ford KL/KF/K8 (2.5,2.0 and 1.8) V6 engines- have problems with the friction operated anti-backlash camshaft drive. Not a huge problem but is a substantial cost to replace, especially with how crammed in the engines are.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #34
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
I can only assume that the bigger and better baffled sump must prevent oil starvation due mainly to the extra volume?

Daniel
I do agree mate, but all i see is more oil being available to the top end and still not being able to return quick enough. Anyhoo better get my head back into the Terri forum lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #35
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

a holden v8 threw a rod at the burnouts on friday, the bottom ends dont die often because the valvetrain fails before the rods get a chance...oh and the fact that MOST injected holden motors in burnout cars rarely make more then 400hp....
Old 20-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #36
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Im sure im goin to get trampled here but i thought the idea with Clevo oiling systems was to add a restrictor kit to limit the volume of oil pumped into the heads at high rpm and the oils slow return to the sump. I remember seeing breathers extended up fairly high in a mates sprint car engine as everytime he went around the track, oil used to spew from the right hand r/cover, restrictor kit fitted and it was all good
I usually fit a restrictor kit also, but alot of guys dont and they dont seem to have problems, In my experience a good baffled high capacity sump will solve 99% of it, sure its a band aid, as is the restrictor kit, but it works, (if the pick up is always sitting in oil there is no problem) the proper fix is bushing the lifter bores, as the restrictor only does one bank anyway.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 03:45 AM   #37
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
a holden v8 threw a rod at the burnouts on friday, the bottom ends dont die often because the valvetrain fails before the rods get a chance...oh and the fact that MOST injected holden motors in burnout cars rarely make more then 400hp....
We only get near stockers or say up to 300 hp ones enter here, dedicated skid cars. I can hardly remember a time when one didn't win a comp, big revs 3rd gear with not much power that's the way to go . Several of the local cars run the limiter above 7000 and I've never seen one fail in anyway not even the valvetrain. There was a bit of a thread on one of the Holden forums about how many revs you can run on the stock bottom end at one stage, plenty of people said they had run over 8000 and this car was the result (thread starter) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySnGDdiAfQ

It ran 8500 rpm the motor was fine at the end despite the flamage:P

Last edited by greenfoam; 20-04-2009 at 03:59 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #38
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

I must have very good luck as i have owned 3 ea falcons and 1 fairmont,my sister had a fairmont 89 model and we never had this head gasket problem.For example my current falcon(3.9 manual 91) i bought when it was sitting on 230,000 kms and now im up to 433,000 kms and have had no issues with mine at all,my sisters fairmont was bought at 62,000 kms and was driven every day up until 340,000 odd kms and like mine it was never touched by a mechanic,all servicing was done privately and oil and water checked regularly.For the price i am going to find it very very hard to stray away from the ea-ed series as they are so basic to change parts over and can be made to look very good when done right.
HSVKILLA is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

LS1 had an alloy block, which just amplified the piston slap. The problem was that GM, in order to remove a substantial amount of reciprocating mass, decided to hollow out most of the piston skirt to form a piston that looked basically like a big letter I. This meant that under normal conditions (let alone high RPM) the pistons had a tendency to twist under the load of ignition, eventually wearing the lower end of the piston and the cylinder it travelled in creating an even louder slapping noise. GM tried to cover it up with advice that it was normal, but several class actions and a couple million motors later and GM finally decided to redesign the pistons. There are class actions still ongoing, in my case a WH caprice that I bought had 3 motors in 40,000klm, a paid engineer and a court case and eventually I received a refund.

More details http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm

Quote: