Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #61
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
The Fiesta will do 2000 a month if Ford can ever build enough of them, which it doesn't look like they will be able to for the rest of this year and by then the competition might have caught up somewhat. In the meantime it kinda cool having the only one in town while everyone willing to wait has there's on order with a ETA of July
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Current supplies of Fiesta are from the Cologne, Germany factory.
Future supplies will be from Thailand once the factory is up and running? Meaning supply shouldn't be as short as it is?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #62
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Current supplies of Fiesta are from the Cologne, Germany factory.
Future supplies will be from Thailand once the factory is up and running? Meaning supply shouldn't be as short as it is?
Yes that's correct. The German factory is doing it alone for most of Europe with UK and Australia at the moment (2000 cars a day but they are several months behind on orders). The Spanish plant is open as of a few weeks ago but I'm not sure which countries they are supplying (not UK or AU) but I guess the rest of Europe that the German plant has no cars for. The Chinese plant is also open but that's only for local Chinese supply (different colours too). Once the Thai plant opens there should be plenty of Fiestas to go around but the ony problem is how many customers will have walked away from the waiting line and gone and bought a Astra or I30. My wife was about to just ship when they managed to find her one of the last few Zetecs from the first shipment that was in Melbourne somewhere, she wasn't willing to wait for a new car that she needed yesterday to drive to work. I'm sure lots are in the same boat.

Anyway no doubt what they are selling at the moment is less than half of those that are either waiting on cars or have gone somewhere else. It's everything the Mazda 2 is plus + better so there's no reason anyone would buy a Mazda 2 anymore (unless perhaps you wanted an auto and the 1.5 litre). I think the Thai plant will be shared by Ford and Mazda with both cars being built there

Last edited by greenfoam; 07-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #63
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Very true re Fiesta. It's been selling well and it's attracting people who normally buy a Yaris or Jazz.
I was looking at March Wheels today and their comparison between the Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz and Mazda 2 (I think I've got the models right).

They found the Fiesta the best, then Honda, Mazda and then Yaris the worst. But on one page there was a bar chart of the sales figures which were exactly in reverse order!!!! The worst car the Yaris is the biggest seller, followed by Mazda third best but second seller, Honda second best but no. 3 seller and Fiesta the best car but worst seller!

This syndrome reappears at some other model levels too.

One doesn't want to dump on one's own countrymen but sometimes I'm tempted to ask if Australians are totally stupid when it comes to buying cars? Then when I come across a Camry idling along in a stupor in the right hand lane I answer in the affirmative! (Ford owners excepted!) _2:
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #64
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
One doesn't want to dump on one's own countrymen but sometimes I'm tempted to ask if Australians are totally stupid when it comes to buying cars? Then when I come across a Camry idling along in a stupor in the right hand lane I answer in the affirmative! (Ford owners excepted!) _2:
Heaps of people dont have any idea. My mum was in the market for a new car a few months ago. She was driving an old excel. She said "the excels always been ok so i'll just get another Hyundai". I told her straight out that she wasnt getting another Hyundai. If i had said nothing she would of just bought one not even lookng at what else was around.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #65
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
I was looking at March Wheels today and their comparison between the Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz and Mazda 2 (I think I've got the models right).

They found the Fiesta the best, then Honda, Mazda and then Yaris the worst. But on one page there was a bar chart of the sales figures which were exactly in reverse order!!!! The worst car the Yaris is the biggest seller, followed by Mazda third best but second seller, Honda second best but no. 3 seller and Fiesta the best car but worst seller!

Oh no....resist temptation to rant....resist temptation LOL!!!!

You are very right new2ford. In a way it is easy to blame the noobs out there for poor sales of Fords. But in reality it is the way of things i suppose, people (even car people) out there percieve brands/cars/things to be a certain way and without a bit of effort on there part or someone to open their eyes it is hard to get people to change their often long-held beliefs. Alot of people i talk to find Ford quite an ok brand, just 'low rent' and 'manly'. Its the kmart and big w of cars, gets the job done etc.

If anything the F6 FPVs, GT, XR8 etc. that we are proud of as aussie ford fans (even if we don't own one) have built up this view to a large degree. Problem is the quality (generally european) cars in the rest of the ford line up (mondeo, fiesta, focus etc.) don't benefit from that view and if anything are hurt by it. It seems ridiculous i know but that is how it is.

Alot of the ladies out there in particular aren't interested in ford, and go mazda. I've explained (and they accept) that underneath they are often almost exaclty the same, and that while both are usually a good choice, the Ford should be given more consideration because it is often cheaper to buy and maintain. Not to mention often a better drive again. One lady actually said she 'doesn't want to know that' when i told her that her lovely mazda 3 was actually closely related to a ford focus in a range of ways. She said, 'yes you mentioned that when i was looking to buy a car, but i just liked the mazda better, its not 'a ford''.

Cars like the fiesta will slowly but surely help turn the tide though. Eventually quality product, word of mouth etc. will move cars, and somewhat dodgy dealer network aside, ford has this on its side. The opposite route is that of Holden, where their marketing keeps their head above water. Toyota will keep flogging the same car with a diff. body for decades, which is fine, but when a yaris owner goes for a drive in their friend's new fiesta, they might realise that time for upgrade, i think i will give Ford a look, and perhaps not just buy a toyota. It just takes time.

So much for not ranting.......

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #66
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

You'd be surprised what a brand can do for a car.
Old 28-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #67
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Heaps of people dont have any idea. My mum was in the market for a new car a few months ago. She was driving an old excel. She said "the excels always been ok so i'll just get another Hyundai". I told her straight out that she wasnt getting another Hyundai. If i had said nothing she would of just bought one not even lookng at what else was around.

Your mum would have been doing herself a favour if she didn't listen to you. Hyundai's being one of the best quality cars around at the moment in its segment, and at the top of the JD POWER quality surveys..... the little i30 is a fantastic little hatch and the interior in the mid and top spec models reek of quality for a car of its price bracket.

At the end of the day I'm in the market for a small car at the moment, and it won't be the aging Astra or the focus with it's crappy looking/terrible quality interior, or any of the Korean garbage from Holden either, the Mazda 3 seems ok, but haven't had a look at one yet, also won't be the ugly civic or any of that french . However, the golf 6 is definitely a standout for me at the moment. The hard-to-justify price is the only thing stopping me from looking in the A3's direction.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #68
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually Stoney, Skoda's been at the top of the quality surveys for the past few years, regularly knocking Lexus off top notch. VW's been down the ladder a bit. With the models designed on a VW base (like Octavia) you get a better built, roomier, more reliable and cheaper VW in effect (with a VW engine - possibly the least reliable bit, if its made in Germany LOL!). The joke in Europe is that Skoda makes a better VW than Volkswagen.
Old 28-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #69
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Your mum would have been doing herself a favour if she didn't listen to you. Hyundai's being one of the best quality cars around at the moment in its segment, and at the top of the JD POWER quality surveys..... the little i30 is a fantastic little hatch and the interior in the mid and top spec models reek of quality for a car of its price bracket.

At the end of the day I'm in the market for a small car at the moment, and it won't be the aging Astra or the focus with it's crappy looking/terrible quality interior, or any of the Korean garbage from Holden either, the Mazda 3 seems ok, but haven't had a look at one yet, also won't be the ugly civic or any of that french . However, the golf 6 is definitely a standout for me at the moment. The hard-to-justify price is the only thing stopping me from looking in the A3's direction.

Stoney!
The big hype about Hyundai is you get a fair bit for the money. Doesnt mean the build quality and materials used is any good. The car is cheap for a reason. I've worked on and driven enough newish cars to see/feel the difference.

Regarding small cars, your best bet is to go Japanese. They have the best combination of reliability, features, build quality and style.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #70
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Regarding small cars, your best bet is to go Japanese. They have the best combination of reliability, features, build quality and style.
...........indifferent primary safety, poor ergonomics, dull drivability....

Skoda (European) like I said LOL!
Old 29-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #71
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah new stock of Ford utes only came in mid March, and stock was low around Australia, Mine was ordered early January and arrived early march, First of the 09's. If i wanted to buy in say January, there were only about 6 available in Queensland
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #72
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Actually I would argue Ford is totally stupid for supporting the worst dealer network in Australia - which kind of impacts on sales, you would think. Fords image and quality issues are self inflicted I'm afraid.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #73
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've found that with any brand of car I've owned Dan. I just shop around till I finally find a good dealer, even if they're 160 km away!