Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
futura-bloke-AU

Default 2001 Ford Falcon Futura Looses power and shutters when hot

to get some idea of my 2001 falcon futura classic series 11, Ever since i bought it in 2007 I have had one mayjor problem with it. I will be driving and i loose power and then the engine surges or vibrates. first time this happened they replaced the igniton coil however it has done it twice afterwards. i just want to get to the bottom of it. Southern Cross Ford here in Toowoomba are useless and cant see anything wrong with the vehicle when it is put on the computer diagnostic machine. What is happening is once the car seems hot under the hood, mind you the temperature gauge sits on between N and O on NORMAL on the gauge itself. the car just looses power and runs rough causing the car to vibrate, if u turn it off and straight back on it does it again. if you let the car stand for 30-60mins and then start it up it drives perfect and you will be able to drive home. This has now happened three times since August 2007. it happened in august 2007 4 days after i bought the vehicle, then happenened november 2007 and then today. i changed the plugs to NGK laser platinum plugs, putted the bosch motor sports spark plug leads on it 6 months ago and i thought that fixed it, obviously didnt. could it be a air leak around the inlet manifold? i have no idea now, unless this ignition coil is stuffed again. first time it happened the computer diagnostics showed the ignition system at fault. so im still agreeing with that it is the ignition system. cause once car is hot it does it once u let car cool down its ok to drive and u can drive it for months or a year before it happens again.

Have also read other posts saying fuel pump and fuel pump relay. im very confused now as this is an intermittent fault im havin has only happened 3 times in the 2 years I have owned it. I have always letted it cool down for 30-45mins then im able to drive with no probs. then months or weeks later it will do it again.

anyone else had this problem. any ideas, suggestions etc be very helpful. I just wanna get to the bottom of this once and for all.

have read on previous posts could be CRANK ANGLE SENSOR? IGNITION MODULE? MAIN COMPUTER? O2 SENSOR?

This is very frustrating.

what is your opinion on this problem? nay help be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Beers,
Johno

futura-bloke-AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Trace 347c

i'd be going with crank sensor mate, do you get a vibration throughout the car at all when the motor is running, at any rpm?
Trace 347c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
GUTLES
Adam.

I'm gunna put my money on Ignition Module..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some other things to check, blocked catalytic convertor, ignition lead/s, fuel filter, bad earths, my mate`s cat blocked up and gave similar symptoms to yours, but it could be anything.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
futura-bloke-AU

NAH CAT CONVERTOR IS FINE, fuel filters fine. as i said its just an intermittent fault and has only happened 3 times in the 2 years i have owned it. where im just drivin along a the highway loose power and the car just splutters to the point where it stalls. if u try startin it up straight away it runs a like a hairy goat but if u let it cool down for 45 mins to an hour you will be right to continue driving. happened in august 07, then nov 08 then august 09, so the fault is not always there.
Old 30-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
futura-bloke-AU

i also replaced the leads with the bosch motorsport high temperature leads and the platinum spark plugs also 3 months ago.
Old 30-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
futura-bloke-AU

wouldnt say a bad vibration not even noticable be a little vibartion if anything, the car runs fine and is smooth as, its just this prob loosin power, spluttering and dies when the engine bay is hot and the prob is only intermittent.
Old 30-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
futura-bloke-AU

is the ignition module the ignition coil? had the coil replaced with a brand new one in sept 07only done 45000km on this new coil
Old 30-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
futura-bloke-AU

foind this information on injectronics.com.au web site under technical bulletins

this is what it said.115) Intermittently cutting out (EF-AU 4.0L) | Print |
MAKE: Ford
MODEL: EF-AU 4.0L
SUBJECT: Intermittently cutting out
TEST: Inspect the crank shaft harmonic balancer for alignment; inspect the crank angle sensor for damage.

FAULT: The crankshaft harmonic outer mass has moved & contacted the crank angle sensor.

Replace the crank angle sensor & harmonic balancer.

maybe this is some idea.
dont sound cheap to do tho. hope if this is right that the money be worth it
Old 30-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
futura-bloke-AU

anyon else agree with me thats its the crank angle sensor?
Old 30-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
ford_maiden
5lt fairmont ghia

i have a 2000 V8 at it gets stuck in higher gears when it gets hot so when i slow down to second i have to pull it back manually so the engine doesnt shutter and go to stall, check your gearbox
this generation of car enthusiasts didnt invent the art of 'cruising' , 'cutting bog laps' , 'racing' and 'burnouts'. its funny how the past generation or two stardted it and now are the ones handing out the fines

AU II FAIMONT GHIA " TIX35" 5.0lt
ford_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
futura-bloke-AU

mmm now its makin me htink however if i pull it out of D put it into 1st etc it still carries on. dont think it would be the gearbox. cause i'll be drivin along at 100km/h then it just cuts out even with cruise control on
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
futura-bloke-AU

was talkin to me mechanic today and he said the crank angle sensor wiring harness be the first thing he would replace as he said they break down after a while. he has one on order.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
BillC

I would be going with the Crank Angle Sensor as well. I would also be checking the wiring that feeds the sensor as well. My sons dunnydore had a similar problem to yours and it was the wiring to the sensor. The pully had worn through the wires causing it to earth out and run very rough. His fan belt broke a few months ago and this caused the wire to sit out a bit and rub on the pully. Given that its a very intermittent fault I would be looking at something like that.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
BillC

I tried posting this on Friday but it didnt get in. I will try once more.

My son had a similar problem. Intermittantly the car would run very rough but most times it was OK. It turned out to be the wiring to the Crank Angle Sensor. He broke a fan belt and it lifted the wiring just enough to rub on one of the pulleys and eath out the wire. I would be checking the wiring around the engin bay that goes to the CAS and look for any loose connection of rubbing against any eathing point.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
BillC

I don't get this. I type into the "Quick Reply" box and post by hitting the "Post Quick Reply" and on the main view for all the post I get a blue arrow on the right hand of the row. I can't see my posts unless I hit the blue arrow. What am I doing wrong ?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i don't know bill, it doesn't happen to me when i do that
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura-bloke-AU
was talkin to me mechanic today and he said the crank angle sensor wiring harness be the first thing he would replace as he said they break down after a while. he has one on order.
How did you go?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
BillC

Did the wiring harness fix the problem ?