Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
science
Starter Motor

Default TDCI plastic underbody panels

Hi there, I've just bought an 07 TDCI. Seems great so far. However, something I didn't really notice at the dealer was the fact that one of the black plastic panels under the bonnet is missing!

It's the panel that goes right at the front between the bumper and the bottom of the intercooler/radiator.

I'm not sure how vital this panel is, does anyone here have any thoughts on whether I should try and get one fitted? And if so, I guess a Ford dealer would be the only place to try?

I'm also not sure what the purpose of this panel actually is, maybe it improves airflow into the itercooler and radiator, or it might be just a small aerodynamic issue???

science is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Turbodiesel
Torquer

If it's supposed to be there, that's reason enough for me.

I think it's main purposes are aerodynamics and protection, might get dirt and stuff up there without it also.

Ford could probably get them, but I bet they aren't cheap.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
science
Starter Motor

Hmmm thanks.. Guess I better ask how much it's going to be, not looking forward to the answer!

I only just discovered the global open/close thing that closes the windows as you lock the car - cool!
Old 21-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

there are a couple of other little cool things i figured out while driving a focus eg.

if you just tap the indicator stalk it will indicate automatically 3 times then stop.. good for quick lane changes

and if you have your front wipers on engage reverse your reverse wiper automatically starts going
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loris
there are a couple of other little cool things i figured out while driving a focus eg.

if you just tap the indicator stalk it will indicate automatically 3 times then stop.. good for quick lane changes

and if you have your front wipers on engage reverse your reverse wiper automatically starts going
It's cool when you discover little things like that huh? When they're on the 1st speed, and you stop say at a set of lights, they automatically go back to intermittent. sweet huh?

When i had my LR it took me 18 months to find the ashtray. And even then it was by accident

I also the under body trays are there to prevent snow packing in under the front of the car. I spose it's a problem in Europe, not much of a hassle out here.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
mohit

So it looks like only the TD has an under engine plastic panel
Both our LS and LT petrol Focus don't have that panel
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
It's cool when you discover little things like that huh? When they're on the 1st speed, and you stop say at a set of lights, they automatically go back to intermittent. sweet huh?
I didnt know that!! Will check it out next time it rains :P
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
science
Starter Motor

Cool, interesting about the snow, and that the underbody panels are only on the TDCI?

I searched and searched on the internet and couldn't find much information about what they were for or how much they might cost.

I guess you have to take them off to change the oil/filter etc too?
Old 23-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
mohit

As you can see no plastic panel under the engine of a 2.0L petrol Focus by default

mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You learn some thing new about the car everyday! I thought the TDCI underbelly plastic was designed to stop you jacking the car up in the centre cause you could not see where to put the trolley jack!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
science
Starter Motor

Yeah, it's totally smooth under the 07 TDCI! Well, black plastic with a few lumps and bumps. Looks pretty tricky to take off for oil changing etc... Pretty much have to take it to the garage.